Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

I was recently trying to help someone date their Forest Master but it had a Ranger tang stamp on it instead of Colonial. Otherwise, it looked exactly like the one in your photo. Do you know anything about the Ranger version?
View attachment 1136381

Hi waverave.

I have a feeling this isn't the original blade. I have been researching and collecting Forest Masters for years trying to find every variation. I have about 25 different ones and have never seen a Ranger stamped Forest Master.

I would love to see more pictures of this if you can.

You can post them in my Colonial thread or email me at MilehighK5@gmail.com if you prefer.

Here is my Colonial thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/colonial-knife-co-providence-r-i.1393295/page-23

Brian

Hi waverave.

I have a feeling this isn't the original blade. I have been researching and collecting Forest Masters for years trying to find every variation. I have about 25 different ones and have never seen a Ranger stamped Forest Master.

I would love to see more pictures of this if you can.

You can post them in my Colonial thread or email me at MilehighK5@gmail.com if you prefer.

Here is my Colonial thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/colonial-knife-co-providence-r-i.1393295/page-23

Brian
Interesting! Thank you Brian I will see if he has more photos and post in the other thread :thumbsup:

Here are a couple old Forest Masters from before Colonial made shell knives. They both have a large blade, bottle opener and can opener but no awl.

This one has the curved tang stamp and was made between 1934 and 1938.

JiFUPA.jpg

This one was made in the early 1940s .

Htz6KG.jpg

We were glad we had them in our pack basket!
The famous Adirondack pack? I saw one with a bullet-hole through it in an Adirondack Museum/Antique Shop once. The guy said he'd stopped deer-hunting after that.
Some people think they're the most comfortable pack ever, some think they're the least comfortable.

The famous Adirondack pack? I saw one with a bullet-hole through it in an Adirondack Museum/Antique Shop once. The guy said he'd stopped deer-hunting after that.
Some people think they're the most comfortable pack ever, some think they're the least comfortable.
Oh yes! My dad loved that pack basket! You could carry enough gear for an extended stay in the woods, and he swore it was comfortable.
Is that the Adirondack Museum on Blue Mountain Lake? That's a wonderful place to see some history. I loved the exhibit they had on Nessmuk. I picked this book up years ago at the museum. I need to get back there one day.
6i1Hilb.jpg

Oh yes! My dad loved that pack basket! You could carry enough gear for an extended stay in the woods, and he swore it was comfortable.
Is that the Adirondack Museum on Blue Mountain Lake? That's a wonderful place to see some history. I loved the exhibit they had on Nessmuk. I picked this book up years ago at the museum. I need to get back there one day.
6i1Hilb.jpg
No, this was some place by the side of the road, and I don't remember which road. I have yet to get to Blue Mountain at all. I think they have some stuff on the Adirondack guideboat there, too.

3oDDary.jpg

Picked this Rough Rider up today, excellent build overall. Quite beefy and robust, and seeing the beautiful Case @Leslie Tomville posted I know what brand this is a copy of;) And Leslie, you've probably figured it out by now from reading the thread,but the stubby blade is a can opener. Although I'm still not sure how to use this type myself lol. Probably as straight forward as "stab the can top and cut it out", :p I do want to darken the covers, going to try a coffee bath first,I don't think I have any tea.

Nice "DWIGHT", JS!!!
Thank you! What I found interesting was that both of the back springs had the small indents like they were tested for Rockwell hardness, I’ve never seen that but it’s impressive quality control if that’s what they are. Definitely snappy springs either way.
Edit: Good to see you’re back.

Last edited:

Wow. How did I miss new posts in this thread? You can put me in the category of pack basket fans. They're great for carrying odd shaped items into camp sites that will be used for multiple days. Good for canoe travel also, as they dry out quickly. But for long hikes, I much prefer a traditional backpack.

Here's a nice pack basket/ scout knife combination picture. :cool:

PV8rIUJh.jpg

The pack basket in the picture below was purchased at the aforementioned Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, now called The Adirondack Experience. We have a family owned cabin about a half hour drive from the museum, and visit often.

I have a few pack baskets from this particular artisan, and she makes some of the best I've ever seen and used. I bought the first couple at various artisan events maybe 20 years ago, some smaller models. The picture reminds me that I really need to make leather straps for that huge basket. The canvas ones just aren't comfortable enough for carrying heavier loads.

zsLi4QGh.jpg

I bought the same book after seeing the Nessmuk display. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ux28eesh.jpg
Thanks for the pic 'Buzz! I have a number of pics somewhere in my digital library nightmare. I really liked that museum. My wife and I spent some time at The Hedges on Blue Mountain Lake the last time we visited.

I don't know how this thread went by without me seeing these last few posts. Very nice Boker Kevin. Really cool back pack basket Buzz. Here's an E Weck and Son, New York most likely made by Schrade Walden? View attachment 1157510
I would think before the Schrade Walden days Dwight... most likely Schrade Cut Co in the 1920s / 1930s. I found this one in the 1926 Schrade Cut Co catalog. Very cool scout you got there! ;):thumbsup:

SCC-SCOUT.JPG

Back