1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by pistonsandgears, Jan 17, 2017.

1. B.Mauser

B.Mauser KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi waverave.

I have a feeling this isn't the original blade. I have been researching and collecting Forest Masters for years trying to find every variation. I have about 25 different ones and have never seen a Ranger stamped Forest Master.

I would love to see more pictures of this if you can.

You can post them in my Colonial thread or email me at [email protected] if you prefer.

Here is my Colonial thread.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/colonial-knife-co-providence-r-i.1393295/page-23

Brian

Ramrodmb, Fodderwing and waverave like this.
  2. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Interesting! Thank you Brian I will see if he has more photos and post in the other thread :thumbsup:

3. B.Mauser

B.Mauser KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 22, 2011
    Here are a couple old Forest Masters from before Colonial made shell knives. They both have a large blade, bottle opener and can opener but no awl.

This one has the curved tang stamp and was made between 1934 and 1938.

[​IMG]

This one was made in the early 1940s .

[​IMG]

Ramrodmb, chuck4570, R.c.s and 9 others like this.
  4. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    We were glad we had them in our pack basket!

Ramrodmb and waverave like this.
  5. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    The famous Adirondack pack? I saw one with a bullet-hole through it in an Adirondack Museum/Antique Shop once. The guy said he'd stopped deer-hunting after that.
    Some people think they're the most comfortable pack ever, some think they're the least comfortable.

waverave likes this.
  6. Peregrin

Sep 2, 2004
    Oh yes! My dad loved that pack basket! You could carry enough gear for an extended stay in the woods, and he swore it was comfortable.
    Is that the Adirondack Museum on Blue Mountain Lake? That's a wonderful place to see some history. I loved the exhibit they had on Nessmuk. I picked this book up years ago at the museum. I need to get back there one day.
    [​IMG]

R.c.s, Dschal, Fodderwing and 3 others like this.
  7. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    No, this was some place by the side of the road, and I don't remember which road. I have yet to get to Blue Mountain at all. I think they have some stuff on the Adirondack guideboat there, too.

Peregrin likes this.
  8. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    Picked this Rough Rider up today, excellent build overall. Quite beefy and robust, and seeing the beautiful Case @Leslie Tomville posted I know what brand this is a copy of;) And Leslie, you've probably figured it out by now from reading the thread,but the stubby blade is a can opener. Although I'm still not sure how to use this type myself lol. Probably as straight forward as "stab the can top and cut it out", :p I do want to darken the covers, going to try a coffee bath first,I don't think I have any tea.

edbeau, Bloefield, HotGuts and 6 others like this.
  9. jsdistin

jsdistin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

May 27, 2016
    221663B9-379D-43F7-8911-95D0C48C044B.jpeg
    Removed bail and recovered in blackwood. Love it. Slices like a dream.

10. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Nice "DWIGHT", JS!!!

11. jsdistin

jsdistin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

May 27, 2016
    Thank you! What I found interesting was that both of the back springs had the small indents like they were tested for Rockwell hardness, I’ve never seen that but it’s impressive quality control if that’s what they are. Definitely snappy springs either way.
    Edit: Good to see you’re back.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  12. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Wow. How did I miss new posts in this thread? You can put me in the category of pack basket fans. They're great for carrying odd shaped items into camp sites that will be used for multiple days. Good for canoe travel also, as they dry out quickly. But for long hikes, I much prefer a traditional backpack.

Here's a nice pack basket/ scout knife combination picture. :cool:

[​IMG]

The pack basket in the picture below was purchased at the aforementioned Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake, now called The Adirondack Experience. We have a family owned cabin about a half hour drive from the museum, and visit often.

I have a few pack baskets from this particular artisan, and she makes some of the best I've ever seen and used. I bought the first couple at various artisan events maybe 20 years ago, some smaller models. The picture reminds me that I really need to make leather straps for that huge basket. The canvas ones just aren't comfortable enough for carrying heavier loads.

[​IMG]

13. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I bought the same book after seeing the Nessmuk display. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

14. Peregrin

Sep 2, 2004
    Thanks for the pic 'Buzz! I have a number of pics somewhere in my digital library nightmare. I really liked that museum. My wife and I spent some time at The Hedges on Blue Mountain Lake the last time we visited.

Fodderwing and Prester John like this.
  15. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Added a Boker to my scout "pack" this week... she's a beauty, she's one in a million girls.

BOKERSC-1A.JPG BOKERSC-1B.JPG BOKERSC-1C.JPG BOKERSC-1D.JPG

navaja, waynorth, Peregrin and 11 others like this.
  16. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    veitsi_poika likes this.
  17. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I'm thinking 1940's... the "Boker USA" tang stamp like this one started c.1941

18. Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    I
    The color of the bone is very interesting. I have a Camillus from the same approximate time frame with the same color bone. Same jigging too. I wonder if both companies obtained their bone from the same source.

[​IMG]

19. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    I don't know how this thread went by without me seeing these last few posts. Very nice Boker Kevin. Really cool back pack basket Buzz. Here's an E Weck and Son, New York most likely made by Schrade Walden? IMG_3727.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    navaja, TFBraden, JohnDF and 5 others like this.
  20. veitsi_poika

Nov 25, 2016
    I would think before the Schrade Walden days Dwight... most likely Schrade Cut Co in the 1920s / 1930s. I found this one in the 1926 Schrade Cut Co catalog. Very cool scout you got there! ;):thumbsup:

SCC-SCOUT.JPG

navaja, waynorth and Fodderwing like this.