Let's see your Scout/Camp knives

One very similar from Camillus...

9Q62XHX.jpg
I have a very similar Camillus Demo (military) knife of that vintage.
The can opener design was used very briefly in the mid 1940's, I believe.

Don

All in honesty, still learning about traditionals. I have no idea how old this one is...Just received it last Saturday. Perhaps the forum experts can shine a better light (may be in need of more pics?). I did put an edge on it by sharpening very lightly but you can tell it's been very well used given there is no longer a choil in front of the kick.

In addition, the awl has a sharp point but the length is very dull. I'm going to try and sharpen both the can opener and the awl with a file in the coming days :)

Posted this in up in the old knives thread but thought it should be here as well.

I am pretty pleased with this old Empire scout. Slanted bolsters, lovely bone, and still has its original blade etch. Knife was made sometime between 1856-1930
HlZoc9Y.jpg

Vj0WGL2.jpg

z8u7Gkm.jpg

miweucP.jpg
Very nice. The slanted bolsters are a nice touch. I assume the knife was made sometime after 1910 since that is when Boy Scouts began in the USA.

I found this old Ulster Scout at a flea market last weekend. Blades were froze up, but there’s no flaws in the old bone. Soaked it a bit to loosen the crud and have been working on it here and there as time allows. I enjoy finding these old $5 treasures and making them usable again.
JyZY7q7.jpg

YlPOybC.jpg

Nothing close to the age and beauty of those posted...but commemorative :) lol

RnQiTSF.jpg

Started building a small collection of ‘recent’ Remingtons. Hope to get my hands on some older ones but are finding it difficult to find.

*edit
Should say difficult to find for a price

Last edited:
I found this old Ulster Scout at a flea market last weekend. Blades were froze up, but there’s no flaws in the old bone. Soaked it a bit to loosen the crud and have been working on it here and there as time allows. I enjoy finding these old $5 treasures and making them usable again.
JyZY7q7.jpg

YlPOybC.jpg

Really looking forward to seeing the end result. Lots of life left in that knife:thumbsup:

Very nice. The slanted bolsters are a nice touch. I assume the knife was made sometime after 1910 since that is when Boy Scouts began in the USA.
Thanks yes, you are right the Goins book I have lists quite a broad range of time for the Empire knife company. But this one would have to have been made after 1910 and before 1930 which does narrow it down quite a bit.

Back