Let's show some love for the classic yet often over looked Christy knife

Order five and get free shipping....group buy :D

There ya go!

Yeah, the Christy knife has got a bit expensive for what it is, but the whole operation is now down to just a one man shop. Hal Christy is trying to keep his grandfathers and fathers thing going, and I don't mind a bit of a donation for a nice coin pocket knife made now literally by hand in a one man shop.

I wouldn't mind picking another few to keep around as gifts. I fear the Christy knife may go the way of Camillus and Schrade, let alone the hundred other knife companies we used to have. And it makes me feel a bit sad if they go, given my fathers ties to the company in the 1950's.

Buying a Christy knife, is buying a bit of cutlery history, and if Hal Christy has access to his dad's files, there is some very interesting stuff in there, I'm sure. From WW2 sales to Army Air Corps and Navy fliers, to the Cold War era and certain 'offices' that delt with some shadowy stuff.

Jerry beat me to it. I've looked at a Christy many times but I won't pay a company extra profit rolled into the shipping charges.

Is $35 to your door really that much ?
I mean they're down to a small little shop, and the fact that they're still family owned and using the original equipment is in my mind enough to make it worth supporting them.
You can get the knife on Amazon with a cheaper shipping cost, but there the knife is $30 so it ends up costing more.

Overall it's not an expensive knife, and while it cousts a bit more than we may wish I think the history and just cool factor of the knife itself totally makes up for it.

It's not the amount, it's the principle. It's not my responsibility to help them out if they can't make a go of it. Raise the price and charge a proper amount for shipping.

Ah, the Christy. Marginally better than a random chunk of broken glass for cutting tasks. Still worlds better than most higos, tho.

Glad to see they still being made, my mom snatched up a bunch of the older ones at some show in Tennessee. Thought they were cute, I'm sure she'd be thrilled to know they are still being made by the same family. She's all about that sort of thing.

Ah, the Christy. Marginally better than a random chunk of broken glass for cutting tasks. Still worlds better than most higos, tho.

This made me laugh. I don't quite agree, but lord knows my Higo sucked road apples. They're neat little knives. I like them, but think they pale next to a regular utility knife.

It's not the amount, it's the principle. It's not my responsibility to help them out if they can't make a go of it. Raise the price and charge a proper amount for shipping.
Do you think they're charging more for shipping than it actually costs ?
This never occurred to me but is a possibility, I'll have to look at the package when I get home and see.
I know bladeHQ could definitely have shipped it to me for $2.99.

What do you think? A two day USPS box costs $7.20 to ship and a padded envelope which averages 2 days costs about $4.50 including the envelope which costs $1.19. I'm not arguing about the total cost, in fact if they said it was $39 including shipping I'd probably buy it but because of their total lack of business acumen they've lost my business. Whatever that means to them.

When Amazon, WalMart and a myriad of other companies ship for free, do you think it's free? Of course not. We know it's rolled into the cost but psychologically we want to know the cost upfront and not be hit with added costs after the purchase. Either get on board or get run over.

Man.. all this haggling over shipping cost and no mention of paying the folks doing the order picking and packing.. neat.

Amazon has highly automated shipping centers and gets subsidised use of the usps. Bad comparison to a one garage show somewhere in flyover land, yes?

I'm about to buy a couple just to cause some irritation to folks that think they're gouging on shipping.

I don't know, all I know is that
Man.. all this haggling over shipping cost and no mention of paying the folks doing the order picking and packing.. neat.

Amazon has highly automated shipping centers and gets subsidised use of the usps. Bad comparison to a one garage show somewhere in flyover land, yes?

I'm about to buy a couple just to cause some irritation to folks that think they're gouging on shipping.

I don't care one way or the other because I find the price very reasonable for what I got.

I can understand people's concerns, but you are absolutely right about the fact that somebody has to pack and ship them and they gotta get a paycheck.

Discuss the knives, please .

Will do.

If anyone wants a traditional pocket knife that cuts like a box cutter this is the way to go, mine really does cut like a lazer. I've said this a couple times before but it really does cut this well.

They made a lot of them. You can often find them at flea markets & estate sales.

Thanks for sharing, never seen those before.

Now I "need" one.. :rolleyes:

Because the little Christy knife is so handy and has the versatility of multiple blade positions I have actually been using my utility knife / box cutter less at work.

i had never heard of these. i bought this one at a pawn shop for $2. i was going to order a new blade but i just sharpened this one and going to use it as is. handy little knife.

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

There's something I noticed about the christy knife that I want to share as it may help others.

When I first got my knife I swapped the blade around because I'm a lefty ( I have since switched it back because it's best as it comes ) but when I did this the knife would not lock into the fully closed position.

I realised that the slide must be locked into the closed position when the blade is inserted to ensure the tang doesn't protrude out the back, if it does it the slide won't go far enough back for the lock to engage.

This is most likely why people have issues with their Christy knife sometimes sliding open, if it does this just loosen the screws then lock the knife in the closed position and tighten them back up.

Last edited:
Back