Let's Talk About EDCing a Fiddleback

I have carried a Spyderco GB or Manix daily for the last few years, and cannot imagine leaving the house without a blade in my pocket. Up until now, I have not given any serious thought to carrying a fixed blade knife on a daily basis. At the show last weekend I was impressed by how many Fiddleback people were carrying fixed blades, and I have started seriously considering carrying a Fiddleback.

So, I have a few questions:

What is the best model to EDC? I am thinking about the Esquire, Hiking Buddy or Handyman, but am TOTALLY open to suggestions.

Where do you carry? Front pocket, back pocket, belt? I am thinking front pocket, but again, I am TOTALLY open to suggestions.

Talk to me about retention. I sit down and stand up a lot. I recline on a couch to do e-mails, and play with my kid. I never worry about my folder coming out of my pocket or opening. However, I am not sure that a fixed blade would be as secure. Please, share your thoughts on this subject.

Some of you guys have been EDCing a Fiddleback for years. You have a great amount of experience. Tell me what else I should be thinking about. Please, share you knowledge and experience.

Thanks!

I'd EDC an Esquire. Its purpose built for that. Plus, its sexy. I usually carry any fixed blade I edc in the front pocket with a clip. Its very accessible there and doesn't hang on anything during my day. On the downside it kinda cuts off easy access to that pocket. If thats a problem I move it to the back when I need access. I've never had any retention issues. It doesn't move there. No flopping around, no hanging up on things. No problem with retention. I've also EDC'd a Bushboot, Hiking Buddy, Monarch, and Runt there without problems.

I have yet to EDC a Fiddleback, but for smaller fixed blades I really like to carry them horizontal slightly to the off side in front.

I have been called compulsive about EDCing a knife. For the past several years I've had several Fiddlebacks/W.A. Surls that I EDC. The short list would be, in size order, the Monarch, the Asp, the Handyman, the EDC II, the BC jr., the Hiking Buddy, FB Patch, Esquire, W.A. Surls Patch and a Pocket Puukko. That's how tough it is for me to figure out which is the best EDC. :D
I definitely favor the Handyman, the BC jr., Hiking Buddy, Esquire and Pocket Puukko, however.

As far as how I carry, it depends on my day. There's really no size restriction where I live so that's never an issue. The slightly larger ones like the Handyman always go on the belt. Using an ISP for those is just too uncomfortable for me and takes up a lot of pocket space. The Hiking Buddy/BC jr will go on the belt if I'm just doing chores around the house or quick runs into town. Or if I'm planning a quick hike sometime during my day. If I'm doing something like grocery shopping the HB/BC jr will go in an ISP in my front right pocket. Massachusetts doesn't have a statewide exemption on knife laws so they change from county to county. If I'm out driving around and crossing counties I go with the Esquire or Pocket Puukko in an ISP. I also find ISP carry to be more comfortable if I'm getting in and out of my truck a lot during the day. I'll even belt carry one of the 3"ers and ISP carry one of the smaller ones if I have no idea what my day holds.
I spend a lot of time in the woods and that affects what I carry as well. Long hikes are 4"ers, Terrasaur, KEB or Arete on the belt along with an Esquire or Pocket Puukko in an ISP. All day hikes and overnights are a Woodsman on my belt or strapped to my bag, a 3"er on belt or in bag and an Esquire or PP in an ISP.

I've honestly never had an issue with retention with my fixed blades. I have a sheath from nearly every maker in this sub-forum and I can honestly say that I haven't had a knife slip yet. Clearing land, getting on and off a quad or lawn tractor all day, hiking, kayaking, snowshoeing, tracking, climbing, all that and no slip yet. As long as you're not upside down for an extended period of time you should have no problems. Remember, you can always wetform the sheath if you force any issues you might have.

Now, I live in a town in central Massachusetts that's 60% woods. We have one traffic light and 5 police officers. During the week there's less then 5,000 people in the town. I get more looks because of my Yankee hat then the knife on my belt. I can't say at all that what I do would work for you but it works for me. In fact, I'll be moving to a more suburban area in Georgia by the end of the year so I'm sure my whole system will adjust, at least until I get get back to a more rural area.

In more general terms, as far as EDCing a fixed blade goes, I'd say you need to:
A)know the laws in both your state and town or county as far as both size of blade and carry style. Some states consider an ISP as concealed carry.
B)know what it is you'll be doing in a day. Will you be around a lot of people like at a mall? People can be odd at times and some folks scare easily. One time I had a Runt in an ISP and some one asked me why I needed to carry such a big knife. :confused:
Do you pick your kids up from school? Stuff like that.
You can always leave the knife in your car or truck if something unexpected comes up though.

I think that's all I got for now. :D If you have any other questions, ask away. :thumbup:

I bought this Bushraptor specifically for EDC.
Having a leather belt sheath made for horizontal cross draw as we speak.
I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out!

IMG_6715-vi.jpg

I carry my Kephart or KEB in a belt sheath or in my back pocket. Much more convenient than pulling the folder out.

I prefer the Esquire, HB, PK, Handyman, BC Jr. The Runt is easy to carry but not a great all rounder.

Heck I've been EDCing a Nessmuk that I got recently coz I love it so much :D

Most of the time I like to carry a small fixed blade and a large folder, or a large fixed blade and a small folder. So if I carry a small fixed blade it's usually on my belt to make room in my front pocket for the folder; it would also work well in a back pocket for that system.

Last edited:
I normally carry my BC JR on my belt in a Condos leather sheath and my PK in my back pocket in a sheath from KSF

Been trying to post in here but keep getting blocked. Had a nice long post with pics, but maybe this will make it through.

Anyway, trying to say I carry a fixed blade every day on the belt. Hiking Buddy, Runt, EDK, and a Turley are the main rotation. Hiking Buddy is the favorite. Never had one pop out of the sheath. Use RLO for the Fiddlebacks - good stuff. No room in the pockets for a pocket sheath.

Been trying to post in here but keep getting blocked. Had a nice long post with pics, but maybe this will make it through.

Anyway, trying to say I carry a fixed blade every day on the belt. Hiking Buddy, Runt, EDK, and a Turley are the main rotation. Hiking Buddy is the favorite. Never had one pop out of the sheath. Use RLO for the Fiddlebacks - good stuff. No room in the pockets for a pocket sheath.

Thurin
I feel your pain. I couldn't post here for 2 days and only was able at 2pmish on Friday
Thus a short preview and no other postings

Ncrockclimb I edc a hiking buddy in a leather front pocket clip sheath! And every now and then I'll edc a ladyfinger in the same way! The front pocket carry helps it stay close to your side and as Andy said it doesn't get hung up on anything! And it's easily accessible as well

Sent from the pay phone beside the Quickie mart!

I've been EDCing an Esquire for the last 6 months or so. I carry it front pocket in a JouFuu pocket clip sheath. No real problems with retention. It has the original clip rather than the low profile one so it catches on things from time to time (including my wife's leg when we're sitting on the couch...she's thrilled about that one). I one snagged the clip hard enough to pull the knife and sheath out of my pocket, but that was a one-off. Overall, I'd recommend it.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Gotta throw in my vote for my 3 finger Karda. I love it. Front pocket carry.

I don't have one leather sheath wet formed to a fiddleback and I don't have any issue with retention even on the well worned ones that have loosened up a bit. Mostly carry inside pocket with or without a clip. But a crossdraw for smaller blades like a Runt, BLJ, stubby etc works really well and you hardly know it's there.

Hiking buddy/Raptor is probably my ideal profile to edc, but if I had to take a guess at my most carried fiddleback it would have to be a Runt. There are a ton of options. I would narrow down the size then start looking at blade shapes that appeal to you. Hell, I even have a pancake sheath (no belt loop or clip) for 4" models that I can slip in a front or back pocket depending on what pants I'm wearing.

I mostly EDC in my front pocket using one of Bud's ISP clip sheaths. My favorite EDC are the Esqiure, Hiking Buddy, Toogan, Allen's Huntsman, Inlander, Dylan's 24/7, and I just picked up a sweet Koa Warthog from Chris that I'm looking forward to carrying. :thumbup::)

Here's one of my favorite EDC, a Rosewood Esqiure.

P

Last edited:
I've been EDCing a fixed blade since 2008, more recently it's been a Fiddelback Hiking Buddy. On weekends I typically run a high riding belt sheath but at work it has to go in the pocket. I really dig SharpShooter's new "Insider" sheath. The large is a nice fit for the Hiking Buddy.

Magnets both hold the knife plus are used to keep the sheath in place while in you pocket which is usually my biggest beef with pocket sheaths - they don't like to stay in place. This one does and is very comfortable in jeans, shorts or dress slacks.

I would like to try an Esquire out sometime to fil the office role.

Back