Let's Talk About EDCing a Fiddleback

I carry a Runt, Stubbymuk, HB, Toboggan and Handyman all ISP w/clip in the front pocket. I totally agree with what Andy posted. Even sitting w/ a Handyman in my pocket, I really don't know it's there. What I like best about this type of carry is access. A folder can be a PITA to get back in your front pocket while sitting. With an ISP clipped sheath it's easy to get your fixed blade put away even when you're sitting down. I've been messing around making my own ISPs using Tec Acc. P-7 Suspension clips. They work really well.

I also think a person's success with ISP front pocket carry has a lot to do with how tight you wear you drawers. Tight Wranglered young bucks may not have room for more than one 'weapon' in their pants.

Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:
I also think a person's success with ISP front pocket carry has a lot to do with how tight you wear you drawers. Tight Wranglered young bucks may not have room for more than one 'weapon' in their pants.

Aint no young buck. Wear 501s, 9 days out of 10. Add that to California's laws and the ISP doesn't work. Been wearing that model Levis since 1967 - old dogs and new tricks, thing. The idea of changing my wardrobe so I can carry some version of a knife - just cuz - seems weird. Yet here I am doing it. Found a Carhartt (#299) I like with midweight canvas and a "cell phone" (HA!) pocket.

I have EDCed - Runt, Esquire, Patch, BC Jr, Pocket Kephart, EDKarda, Bushcraft Karda, Handyman, Monarch, Three Finger Karda, Asp.

My favorite model to EDC is the EDKarda. Very comfortable handle with a great blade shape.

Regarding choice of trousers... I switched to Mountain Kahkis. Very comfortable, they have different weights and vary in material (heavy to mid weight canvas and mid to light weight cotton). They have wide and deep pockets, oh yeah, they make shorts as well.

Good luck in your search.

I carry a Runt, Stubbymuk, HB, Toboggan and Handyman all ISP w/clip in the front pocket. I totally agree with what Andy posted. Even sitting w/ a Handyman in my pocket, I really don't know it's there. What I like best about this type of carry is access. A folder can be a PITA to get back in your front pocket while sitting. With an ISP clipped sheath it's easy to get your fixed blade put away even when you're sitting down. I've been messing around making my own ISPs using Tec Acc. P-7 Suspension clips. They work really well.

Hosted on Fotki

:thumbup: Nice ISP!

I was able to EDC my Bushraptor with Condos cross draw sheath for the first time yesterday when the wife and I went for a motorcycle ride. We ended up at a local place well known for their monthly steak fry. I barely knew it was there, and it concealed extremely well. My wife didn’t know I was carrying until I gave her the knife to cut her sandwich in half.
Unfortunately, I have no steak or sandwich action shots, but here's a pic of knife & leather atop my motorcycle seat:
VfgGsDar1sZuiCwRtzUZQeDwsvBGUCnnEttGKhO7-JI

Last edited:
I edc an Edcii in a Jlo isp in my right pocket. And never had an issue with slippage or anything else. I also carry AIWB glock19 and have no issues with the IMP sheath set up but I am a bigger guy. If I carry A belt sheath which I rotate out a lot It's usually my BCJR in a Phillip Leonard custom high rise sheath.

1671be12cf47059aa5743bbae48d6433.jpg

1bc2b2be87845977a124109bde8fd129.jpg

a8bfe6767d976b347d0e49da3edb2c13.jpg

Resident assistant thread jacker

Last edited:
When Donovan (TxSportsman) listed his remade Patch on the flea market, he said it might be the perfect EDC for someone. It is for me and might be a potential new model that others would like.

I’d been looking for a 2-inch blade with some belly and a handle long enough for me to get three fingers on it. My Bushcraft Karda is a great and tough utility blade but didn’t do some common light tasks as well as a blade with some belly. I’d tried the Runt, Esquire, and Palmer. They had enough belly, but for me the handles were too short for a three-finger grip.

Give Donovan credit for sending his Patch to Andy after the tip broke off. And give Andy credit for making a new profile in the 2-inch category, one with a spine that curves downward about half as much as a Hiking Buddy’s compared to a Patch’s, in the sweet spot for me.

Specs for the Tx-Patch:

Steel: O1, 1/8”, tapered tang
Blade length: 2.71”, about 1/2” shorter than a Patch’s
Handle length: 4.275”, ironwood, black liners and yellow pinstripes
Palm swell thickness: .620”
Weight: 2.7 ounces.

It's always difficult for me to get in on the edc discussions... EDC is always an environmentally subjective term, and my every day environment seems a little different than most. The Fiddleback I edc most often is my Kephart, but I work in a really spacious office and my one co-worker, my daughter wouldn't complain if I edc-ed my parang :)

DSC_9668_zps5chqd7ot.jpg

DSC_9698_zpsjwkqieto.jpg

As for urbanized environments with other people, I have found the Esquire to be very handy and really people friendly. I have a friend who has one made of 3/16 O-1 with a tapered tang, and if I see one in that thickness in a color I can like I will do my level best to snag it.

20160130_163229_RichtoneHDR_zpsdhe6nm0m.jpg

20160130_161602_RichtoneHDR_zps5nipic35.jpg

20160130_162822_RichtoneHDR_zpsanigk1vi.jpg

20160210_215839_RichtoneHDR_zpsuzpw3gc7.jpg

I need to stop looking at thread like this one. It can be expensive, and sometimes I get very hungry. Not sure why :rolleyes:

I need to stop looking at thread like this one. It can be expensive, and sometimes I get very hungry. Not sure why :rolleyes:

Lol, it's not our fault knives and food go so well together. I think someone hit on that idea about 50K years ago :D

Nh9Ki06.jpg

The Esquire carries really well. Where I live (Portland, OR), you can legally carry any knife you want as long as it's not concealed, and case law says a visible pocket clip counts as not concealed. If I wanted to, I could legally carry a bigger knife in a belt sheath (and sometimes do with my Asp or KEB, but I feel like that has the potential to attract the wrong kind of attention, legality not withstanding). The Esquire does everything I need a knife to do on a daily basis in a mostly-urban environment, feels great in the hand (I wear large-sized gloves, and have long fingers with less-"meaty" hands), and I just happen to believe is the most beautiful specimen of this pattern to come out of the forge :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yup, my favorite fixed EDC at the moment. The Esquire works on all levels for me.

Here's an older pic.

IMG_0078-vi.jpg

Esquire in one of Bud's isp's. I have a short lanyard on mine in a box pattern paracord. That helps with the retrieval and the fit in the hand for me (large glove). I do find that it takes up a fair amount of room in the front pocket. I also carry my keys with a small multi tool attached (Leatherman "style ps", a car fob and one door key) and a small Victorinox Classic SD. Yes, I almost always double up the knives, but the ultra thin blade, scissors, tooth pick and other gadgets of the Swiss army are used daily. When I wear dress pants, I leave the esquire at home, keep the Victorinox and add another small folder like a Pro-tech sprint. It's just too much in the pocket for a slim tailored dress pant, at least for me.

Back