Let's talk about the best clip you have ever Used

Hi Guys,
Can we talk about clips please. I have been working on a few clip designs for the future and have many ideas. My quest is to get your input on what works the very best for you guys. I use my knives everyday and have some stuff I want to add, but want to hear from the ground roots real life users.
PLEASE post pictures

Thanks!!!!

The coolest design I've seen was one that was integrated into the frame, and became flush when the knife was removed. I've become more of a clip guy, but I used to remove them right off, because I don't like the way they feel in hand on most knives. Ergonomics are very important to me.

Ideally what I'd like to see would be an integral clip that pops out when the knife is closed, and vanishes into the handle when the knife is open. I've had a few thoughts rumbling around my noggin, but I don't want to tread on anyone's intellectual territory.

As long as it's deep carry and doesn't hurt my hand in a hammer-grip, I like it. Most companies just aren't studying hand ergonomics well enough when they build the clip. Also, if it flares up at the end, that's a bad thing. A secondary bend that keeps it from catching on doors and furniture is helpful, but it's rarely executed any better than the flared ones, so it's just a nuisance all around. Finding that balance between "able to fit over the fabric of my jeans pocket" and "doesn't catch on something and get torn out and bent" seems to be very difficult to achieve. The nicest clip I have on a knife is on my BM51, and it isn't deep carry. If it were, it would be perfect.
Final note: fancy is bad. I don't like a decorative clip. It's a knife, not an accessory to my outfit. No funny shapes, nothing to call attention to my pocket, please. No shiny clips, either.
Thanks for asking! :)

A lot of the deep carry clips I have seen need to a have hole in the middle to access the center screw. This greatly weakens the clip. In my state the blade size limit is 3" for concealed knives. I like to carry longer knives so I want them to show so they are not concealed. Therefore I do not like deep carry clips.
I have run into clips that are not removable and cannot be adjusted if sprung. I don't like those either. I don't like painted clips They wear through. Give me black Chrome, TDLC, TiAlN, cubic BN, or such like. Titanium clips don't even need coating.
Three screws are good. I really like knives that offer the tip up, tip down, right hand, and left hand options. I am not left handed but know many who are. I also carry a side arm, so I sometimes want to carry a knife on the weak side.

Here's one of my newer favorite clips. It's a custom replacement piece for Spyderco designs. Titanium deep carry, and it's short enough on this blade that it doesn't interfere so much with any grip I choose to take on the blade. I'm not really concerned about a hole for screw access weakening the clip.

IMG_1451.jpg
What I've seen a lot of in pocket clip discussion is two differing opinions:
A: A pocket clip that will retain the knife in a position for easy drawing from pockets. (Higher up without much regard for the knife being seen / showing)
B: A pocket clip that rides lower and doesn't look like a knife clip. (Knife being more concealed... for folks that work around knife unfriendly folk.)

I know we can get into a long and drawn out discussion about "Why should the sheeple bother you, etc, etc." But the great thing for me is that everyone that knows me knows I carry a blade. They just dont know how big it is (if i'm carrying a larger one) until I actually use it.

I think to offer both options would be great, but I know that bottom line is always in the crosshairs.

I will also reference a picture from a fairly well known manufacturer - This clip is a little fancy and overly done for a beefier blade, but might be a cool direction to go for exclusives.
Mnandishirtresize_860.jpg

Do you guys have a phone with a camera? Take a pic and put it up. This discussion is starting to get some traction.
Lets see what you are talking about.

Do you guys have a phone with a camera? Take a pic and put it up. This discussion is starting to get some traction.
Lets see what you are talking about.

Ok, here's my most comfortable clip:

WP_20131120_002.jpg

WP_20131120_003.jpg

WP_20131120_005.jpg

This is to show height from the handle:

WP_20131120_007.jpg

(One with the matchstick inside the channel):

WP_20131120_006.jpg

This shows the grip (note how the flare fits into where my middle finger rests, the slight swell at the ring finger, and there's a recess for the pinky):

WP_20131120_008.jpg

This clip could only be improved by being deep carry. Even if it pushed the margin up a bit into the pinky area, it would still be better as deep carry IMO. Hope this helped.

Ditto on ergonomics and deep carry; I would also add that, in my experience regarding clips, it's what doesn't work more than what does necessarily. The only clips that have ever managed to actually bother me are the ones that were flimsy and managed to bend out enough so as not to clip on well. The ability to switch sides, or tip up/down carry is nice. I also appreciate clips which manage to add to the aesthetic. The clip on my Bob Lum Benchmade 741 Onslaught is a beautiful part of the overall piece, matching the rest of the hardware accents. Apologies for using a link rather than personal photo; I would certainly like to include a photo, but mine is currently MIA *teardrop*
http://images.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/bnchmd/images/BM741SBK.jpg

It is great to see we are getting a few hits on this thread. Please keep bringing in your best clips.
Thanks for the pictures!

Hi Guys, Any more information out there. I have designs two new clips to date. They will be coming on new knives soon.
It is helpful to get input about REAL carry information and experience.

Hi Guys,
We are thinking about a option clip for the HTM line.
thoughts?

DDR,

Option like choose from a few different when you order? Or option like optional? I'm not following you, sir.

I am excited to see the new designs you've got!

Personally the clip on the benchmade contego is my favorite with the zt0350 being second. If the zt0350 was deep carry it would be my ideal clip. It's short and stays out of the way, a little stiff to give good hold, but not so stiff that it causes damage to the pants. Obviously deep carry means a bigger clip but the contego is just a hair long from perfect

Hi Guys,
We are thinking about a option clip for the HTM line.
thoughts?

Ironically, I came to this sub-forum to research this exact issue. I am looking for a deeper carry on my HTM Gunhammer.

I for one am absolutely in on this. I have a HTM Gunhammer and my ONLY complaint is the clip when carried tip up. Most folks carry that way (not all), and too much of the knife hangs out the pocket. If this happens, let me know as I'll be first in line. On a tactical style blade, personally, I like to be more discreet with pocket carry looking for a deeper carry. Unfortunately, I am only able to get close while carrying tip down, which is defiantly not preferable. I like having the option, but don't want to carry that way. One thing to note. I certainly wouldn't want it so deep that it would hinder getting the knife out of my pocket. I've had a deep clip on another knife which always was difficult to get out of the pocket.

Edit: one more note on higher carrying clips. I've had mine pulled out of my pocket more than once due to weird circumstances, but can say, if it had ridden deeper in my pocket, I would have avoided those situations completely. More exposed knife means more opportunities for it to snag on something etc. I'm not in for completely deep, or "hidden" but, much lower...at least on the HTM Gunhammer. I'd be more than happy to test a deeper carry clip for ya!!!

Last edited:
Personally the clip on the benchmade contego is my favorite with the zt0350 being second. If the zt0350 was deep carry it would be my ideal clip. It's short and stays out of the way, a little stiff to give good hold, but not so stiff that it causes damage to the pants. Obviously deep carry means a bigger clip but the contego is just a hair long from perfect

+1 on the ZT 0350 clip. Very nice in terms of stiffness and "out of the way" ness... Could be a little deeper though

It might be a good point to look at the WORST possible design...the original clip for the Benchmade 755 MPR. It has a great blade of M390, but is fat in the grip and the clip is an absolute disaster to my pockets. Combined with the sticky G10 beneath the clip, it was just terrible.
I have noticed various custom knives that have clips that appear similar in design...like a straight stick...sort of like a matchstick. I run fast...away from them.
To their favor, BM sent me a replacement clip of a different design, which works better.
I have seldom had any problem with clips, and generally use Spyderco clips of any fashion, including their wire clips.

Deep pocket carry is one of my requirements. Being able to slip it onto my pocket is another. Some are so sharp-edged and tight fitting that it's a pain to get it clipped on. For light knives, I find the simple wire clips to be the most ergonomic.
cat-g10-clip.jpg

Back