Let's talk about the grip

Ken Cox

I have looked at pictures of the Nemesis now for, it seems, several months.
It seems to have, if not the same grip as the fulcrum, at least the same grip design philosophy.
This knife (the Nemesis) appears to have everything I have ever wanted in a folder, except the grip bewilders me a little.
Would someone please talk a little about how this grip feels in the hand.
I like the paintbrush grip for a lot of chores, in which I put my thumb on the pivot or the choil of the blade.
Comments, please.
As a father of three kids in school, this represents a big purchase for me to make all for myself, and I won't do it lightly.
Thanks.

Ken,
The handles(grip) of the Nemesis is in fact the same design as the Fulcrum II folders...just a little larger. I happen to think it feels great in the hand, but I am a little biased! I will let some ER folder owners express their opinions.
I will say that they are tough as nails knives...and they are made from the ground up to be tough folders...not "pretty".
If I can be of any further help just ask!

Pan wrote:

"Just got a Nemesis folder
I just received my Nemesis folder and have to say that it is without a doubt the best folder I have seen - it is one solidly constructed knife. It's craftsmanship is tops and the ergonomics are outstanding.

What a knife!!!"

I like the grip, but you might be better served to try and handle one before you but it. Or make an understanding with your dealer when you get it as to being able to return it. There is no grip that EVERYONE thinks is comfortable. I say this in sympathy with your hard-earned dollars and situation.

The hand can accomodate many shapes. As I go from knife to knife in normal rotation, sometimes it takes a little time to get the feel of the current knife being carried. If you are carrying only one, then it will become academic.

I've got both a Harpoon and an M.P.C. The "shelved" handle offers a great grip for me, and I have small/medium hands (if that helps). That was one thing that held me back from buying an ER at first was the different handle. To me my "pointin'" finger, and my "pointin' mad" finger fall naturally before the swell of the handle. for serious digging the swell offers a barrier against sliding as you push forward with your thumb. I hope that made sense.

Like Boink said, everyone's grip is different though. I say try it out and see what you think for yourself. If that's not a possibility, just buy one and return it if you don't like how it feels. Just tell Frank that it wasn't as big as you thought it would be. :D

Sorry Frank, but I couldn't resist. ;)

Yea, those folders are just way too small. :D

Anyway, I've got a knife bakin' in the oven and so I took a few pics this morning of myself holding my M.P.C. I don't know if it will help, but I am bored. :)

The pics are nothing special, but I had to take them with my left hand, but enough with the excuses.

This one shows how the handle shelves fit the hand:
attachment.php

Attachments

• ergrip1.jpg
    ergrip1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 243
This one shows how the curvature of the clip fits the pinky:
attachment.php

Attachments

• ergrip2.jpg
    ergrip2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 237
Back grip for maximum destruction: :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• ergrip3.jpg
    ergrip3.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 551
Wow!

What enormously useful photos from Burchtree.

These photos make a lot of the features of the ER folders very understandable.
Consider all of my questions regarding the grip answered satisfactorily.
It looks like it would work very well for me.

I assume the MPC in Burchtree's photos and the Nemesis have similar if not identical grip proportions.

I'll ask this next question in another thread, but just in case the right person happens to check in here, does anyone have some pictures of the Nemesis's blade?
I can kinda guess at it from the profile shots in the various online catalogs, but it still remains a little vague for me.
It sure would help to see some photos along the lines of those posted by Burchtree, in different lights and angles.

I can't get over how much information Burchtree's photos convey.

That is a huge folder!

Ken, I think that knife will last you a couple lifetimes. :)

Edited to add: The Nemesis is the one I had my eye on, also.

The handles are very comfortable in my hands.
In the Forward and Reverse grips, it is very secure and feels great.
I am seriously thinking about getting another MPC for my non-dominant side.

('Course that Nemesis looks pretty good too.)
:D :D :D :D

Back