Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

I know I know , most can't even conceive it happening never mind consider it a possibility in the coming years to fruition . " The military qill quash it / the police will quash it " but the fact is those on the blue side of things are considering abolishing / defunding police blah blah blah . And lets not forget whats been happening in the cities across america this year.

This thread is however not about that . I dont want to talk politics this isnt the forum for that . Instead a scenario proposed then tools one may need.

The year is 2021 . XXXXXX has won the presidency . There is unrest . After one side confronts the other there are now open clashes in the streets . Many police have fled to protect their families . Military has been deployed in population centers but in suburban / rural areas there isnt quite the stability due to less troops.

Folks have burned through much of their ammo . And now primitive weapons are being used .

What would be a real world edged tool to defend yourself while you forage for food / move through the landscape ?

I was considering a katana but many serious blades and especially Nihonto are ALOT of money . I have about a grand or so to throw at this unlikely scenario . It will need to be a weapon that is tough . Not something that is tough but may need to be reprofiled.

There are the thatsuki nihanto kumori , Hanwei Tori XL , Zombie tools apokatana . Or would a wakazashi or perhaps a machete be more appropriate ? Perhaps even a swamp rat waki or rodent rucki .

Other tool that may be more appropriate for real world primative CQB ?

What say you ??

I can hear the *sighhhhh* even before I hit "create thread" however we do seem to be in a very fragile state in 2020 and who is to say what is to come.

So I would respectfully request refraining of " this againnnnnnn" type posts and focus more on the scenario proposed .

Thanks .

I'd want something to keep a bit of distance. I find myself drawn to the Japanese Sword as an option for defense

I'd want something to keep a bit of distance. I find myself drawn to the Japanese Sword as an option for defense
Ok , what options would you be considering ? I was liking the thatsuki nihonto kumori but there isnt alot about it out there. The Zombie Tools apokatana is 28" blade 5160 I think . But heat treat is important.

Who has rock solid proven heat treats that lend their tools tough as nails and can take an impact ?? Whatever you use you may not be able to take it to a smith for repair so youd need a proven something .

I could never conceivably run out of ammo, will be easy to pick of dudes foraging for food/ moving through the landscape. I hope they have some nice blades on them.
Well , I'm one of the poors lol And I have a good bit of ammo but not enough to last for an extended period of defending a position plus Id like a portion of it for food procurement until I became proficient at primitive methods deadfalls , snares , spears , archery ... If I even made it that far.

Last edited:
I would guess less than 1 in 10 people would use an edged or blunt weapon on another human being. Takes a certain mentality, moral flexibility and commitment along with being able to stomach human blood and gore. When push comes to shove the majority of americans would give up, curl into a ball and cry under your premise.

I would guess less than 1 in 10 people would use an edged or blunt weapon on another human being. Takes a certain mentality, moral flexibility and commitment along with being able to stomach human blood and gore. When push comes to shove the majority of americans would give up, curl into a ball and cry under your premise.

While I agree at the outset of the unrest people would fold up like PVC lawn furniture . However If it turned into a prolonged sustained event . I think humans would revert to their more primal instincts to survive. Considering how fragile we are in 2020 . Just the supply chain breaking down from any national wide spread civil discourse event humans would at first freeze up then adapt. Especially the young .

Again . Although unlikely . Not impossible. Back to the weapons that would be used.

Tori XL , Ronin Dojo pro ? Something else ?

Last edited:
Cold Steel war hammer would work for me. Lightweight and fast all the while being deadly on both sides of the head. Useful for door breaking and window smashing too if needed :) Perhaps a short broadsword or wakizashi sized blade might serve well too.

20" Tramontina.
Buy 10 of them, stash 8. Use the other $750+ for other things.

(This from the guy that loves swords, and sword like objects, and has a variety on hand)

Ok , what options would you be considering ? I was liking the thatsuki nihonto kumori but there isnt alot about it out there. The Zombie Tools apokatana is 28" blade 5160 I think . But heat treat is important.

Who has rock solid proven heat treats that lend their tools tough as nails and can take an impact ?? Whatever you use you may not be able to take it to a smith for repair so youd need a proven something .

I'd probably look at Bugei for something

I’m not going to run out of ammo anytime in 2021.
If you want me to list list what mid evil edged weapon I’d like to walk around with in an apocalyptic wasteland, I’d like a Busse Gladius.
Considering I don’t currently own one and won’t be getting one anytime soon I’d most likely carry around a large cane knife and a ColdSteel boar spear, with a couple of HI khukuri at base camp where ever that may be.

I have been asked this question by friends more times than I can count due to my owning a wide variety of weapons.
Obviously you have to start with firearms, bows, slings, throwing weapons, whatever allows you to take out an opponent from a distance (so long as you are trained with them at long-medium range). Alongside any of those, you should have some sort of spear with maybe a dagger/knife/shortsword. A spear as simple as a long sharpened broom handle will give you the advantage over pretty much any other "melee" weapon.
We like to think of swords as a badass self defense weapon, but in reality the spear is king. This doesn't mean I don't own a ridiculous number of swords/axes/bludgeons from cultures all over the world and have often joked "God help the poor bastard that breaks into my house".

I have been asked this question by friends more times than I can count due to my owning a wide variety of weapons.
Obviously you have to start with firearms, bows, slings, throwing weapons, whatever allows you to take out an opponent from a distance (so long as you are trained with them at long-medium range). Alongside any of those, you should have some sort of spear with maybe a dagger/knife/shortsword. A spear as simple as a long sharpened broom handle will give you the advantage over pretty much any other "melee" weapon.
We like to think of swords as a badass self defense weapon, but in reality the spear is king. This doesn't mean I don't own a ridiculous number of swords/axes/bludgeons from cultures all over the world and have often joked "God help the poor bastard that breaks into my house".
I almost posted the exact same quote about the spear. But as I am a mounted lance and saber user, I omitted it. Spears were (or are, for the purposes here) a primary infantry weapon and swords sidearms, much as the rifle and the handgun today. Mounted, the 18th century equivalent (as this is the HEMA era I practice) would go from lance as primary and then carbine, pistol, and saber. You might put a bow in there if primitive firearms are forbidden in the scenario.

But for dismounted apocalypse EDC outside the eruv, It's going to be spears, spears, and spears (with a long knife backup).

Zieg

People like their machetes I see . I do have an ontario 1-18SBK machete . Grips sucks on it though . I might attempt some G10 on it one day . Its got like a giant polymer composite block for a handle on it . Otherwise its great.

I got a TOPS Survtac7 that would make a good spear as it has multiple lashing points and is a spear point blade as well .

I was thinking something to keep enemies at bay . Im thinking maybe a basic decent wakazashi like someone suggested .

I'd probably look at Bugei for something
That looks nice for 1500 k120c too . I was looking at the Tori XL as I said but I keep reading hanwei has hot spots in their heat treat that can cause failures. Thats the tough thing trying to find a good production sword or similar edged weapon is finding a manufacturer with a decent consistent heat treat .

I was thinking something to keep enemies at bay . Im thinking maybe a basic decent wakazashi like someone suggested

A wakizashi would (and historically did) serve as an effective sidearm to the spear. I also like the shorter length of the wakizashi when thinking of engaging a target in close quarters like a hallway or stairwell. Of course it is entirely theoretical as I have never fought someone to the death while equipped with a spear or wakizashi, though I have enjoyed some friendly sparring.

Back