Let's talk civil unrest/war weapons.

I wouldn't trust the windlass Iklwa in combat, I found it subpar when I played with mine, eventually sold it.

I just reread post #51, my bad.

Not necessarilly 5v5 . That actually seems like the extreme . I could imagine most likely would be 3 v me

3v1 is always gonna be difficult, especially in armed combat. The issue is there is no one situation fits all weapon. I would never choose a montante in 5v5, but 3v1 I would rush to it. Of course lugging around a sword of that size wouldn't make sense in the foraging scenario.

With so much variety in the possible scenarios, I would say find a spear you can use as a walking stick and find a sword style you are interested in practicing. Of course with the addition of practicing archery and learning to make arrows.

I just reread post #51, my bad.

3v1 is always gonna be difficult, especially in armed combat. The issue is there is no one situation fits all weapon. I would never choose a montante in 5v5, but 3v1 I would rush to it. Of course lugging around a sword of that size wouldn't make sense in the foraging scenario.

With so much variety in the possible scenarios, I would say find a spear you can use as a walking stick and find a sword style you are interested in practicing. Of course with the addition of practicing archery and learning to make arrows.
I actually have a traditional recurve bow . A #50 Im decent with . Id definitely need to learn to make arrows and broadheads out of scrap too as arrows can get lost easy .

So we have expended every last round. Every bullet, shell and bomb is gone. The global population has been reduced by 95%, and the survivor face an increasing mortality rate as supplies run out and even minor medical problems become brutally lethal. The average lifespan is dropping rapidly towards 40, and social media is a long gone memory.

Those that survive are entirely unprepared to fend for themselves. They scavenge, but they are no longer able to produce. It will take generations to re-learn to survive in this environment. Our old technology is gone, our pre-industrial solutions have also failed - since that also depended upon thousands of years of economic evolution -and we have to learn new techniques from scratch.

A sword will be the least of your problems. Most barely have the energy to stand up and the few who remain are increasing aware that the natural environment is out to get them. Hypothermia, crotch rot, allergies and insect bites are going to kill you; long before you come across anyone who plans to stab you. People are becoming increasingly scarce.

n2s

n2s

Coming from a huge archer......... in our lifetime there will always be those with bullets and guns and if your the one with the bow in your hand your dead

I Agree completely, this is an entirely fictional scenario.

A sword will be the least of your problems. Most barely have the energy to stand up and the few who remain are increasing aware that the natural environment is out to get them. Hypothermia, crotch rot, allergies and insect bites are going to kill you; long before you come across anyone who plans to stab you. People are becoming increasingly scarce.

I also agree with this completely, but the OP had very specific questions.

Most barely have the energy to stand up and the few who remain are increasing aware that the natural environment is out to get them. Hypothermia, crotch rot, allergies and insect bites are going to kill you; long before you come across anyone who plans to stab you. People are becoming increasingly scarce.

n2s

Sounds like the summer camp I was sent to...

Well with all due respect sir we arent all you and all the rest with rooms full of ammo . I have a bit . Many who were just working and taking care of their families may have not seen this coming .
yIJxXBf.png

And this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is what they are dealing with now . 2.00 / rd for junk pmc bronze 9mm

So primitive weapons may be a more affordable alternative .

So back to the discussion does anyone have any oppinions on who has the best heat treatment ? Zombie Tools HT any good ? Im really liking that apokatana 5160 but as everyone knows heat treat is everything .

Zombie Tools heat treat is absolutely Bang on. Many, many hard use reviews to back that up.

In the spirit of the thread I’ll digress

as much as I love the Japanese sword as a fighting weapon and all thought I did Western style fence as a school boy for an all around sword meaning something that can be used in many ways and will shine in utilitarian tasks like clearing brush and doing camp work as well as being able to be used two handed and single handed and being able to be choked up on for speed and held back further for power the best all around sword I’ve come across is the Jungle Honey developed by the great Jimmy Fikes

Here is a Jungle Honey from Jimmy

Here is jimmy holding a Wak

Jimmy was and is a legend in performance steel and a great guy

Don Fogg and Jim did the Cloud Cutter as well

when I reached out to him to ask if Mirabile could make a version of it we dubbed the Dragonfly Cutter he was kind enough to give us his blessing and the piece I posted earlier was the result

He made 2

this is a full take down model that belongs to a friend From Africa and is currently in my possession as well till he can arrange to pick come get

these swords carried in a Baldric Sheath pack well and can be worn across your back with your long gun to the front or lashed to a pack

while my favorite fighting sword would be a katana like object a katana is not a utilitarian tool and while carrying a Japanese style sword in hard Saya even one of the late great Phill Hartsfield’s metal alloy Saya’s is great for draw cutting and speed it’s not something that you would want to run around with strapped to your back.

you would have to make it more wak or large tanto size to be easily carried as a last ditch weapon because no matter what scenario you mention a rifle or shotgun is going to be the primary tool preferable a rifle with a side arm 2nd

remember a long sword like a katana is not gonna build a shelter or pry open a door

the Jungle Honey design can do it all

video on the birth of The Dragonfly Cutter

Last edited:
I would carry one of my longer kukri's wherever I went. As far as a sword, I have a few, but I am most comfortable with a gladius. Probably carry, the TFW gladius and also a small buckler.

Honestly, I would not look forward to those days.

Coming from a huge archer......... in our lifetime there will always be those with bullets and guns and if your the one with the bow in your hand your dead

I recall the late great Colonel Jeff Cooper saying in any gunfight he’d want a rifle.

Always a fun exercise.

I only have one sword. A bit of a bastard sword. It is not quick and fast. It is over built and heavy. At some point, I have considered thinning it out with my 7x72 grinder.

I have a viking shield and a twin bladed viking axe (obviously made by some one who has never swung a fighting axe).

ljFnQsA.jpg

I would probably opt for a hand axe easily swung one or two hands.

Shorter hawks as a distance (ie closing throw) and a long pole arm

Probably with a lighter, faster khukri as well.

One thing about pole arms..you are not jumping in and out of vehicles with them.

F7fh11W.jpg

4nmhf4S.jpg

cDXBGyE.jpg

UY2UNXH.jpg

Apparently, I can only find limited pics of one of my "viking hand axe"

Pleaze forgive the leg and dog...

kvAn5LT.jpg

Ntr0RdE.jpg

For size reference, I am 6'1".
ayoVPvv.jpg

I've also had it mounted on a shorter hickory handle, and had some throwing fun!!

gM4vEbW.jpg

I have to say, that the shock tactic of throwing an axe or hawk is a practiced, and planned tactic (with historical use in war).

I've spent a lot of time practicing throwing multiple hawks and knives while closing distance, backing up, and changing directions.

Last edited:
This thread seems to be acting strange. Are my pics showing for everyone? I can't see them once I posted, unless I switch over to web view. It also won't let me edit.

I could not see any of JParanee's pics unless I view in web view as well.

BF seems to be acting wonky today.

Back