1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Let's talk EDC, and BK&T knives that fit that role.

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by DerekH, Feb 4, 2018.

1. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Which Becker knife do you carry for EDC, and why?

For me, we had a thread way back by Hawkhead where he modified a BK-14, and I had to try my hand at the mods he did. It went well, but for whatever reason it just didn't fit my needs until I redid the handle.

[​IMG]

For everyday use, this fits the role nicely. Small, thin package that is easily pocketed, a setup I can carry as a neck knife, or in my back pocket, and it doesn't take up too much space. Utility vs size is at the right point. Sharp as heck, because this is a BK-24 it holds its edge very well.

From everything for cutting up food to opening packages, or even making shavings and using a firesteel, this one does it all. What do you guys carry from the BK&T lineup? I see many fans of the Izulas, and I definitely understand why, but does anyone use the similar BK-11/14/24 for the job?

viking313, LG&M and Xr6x like this.
  2. Rebel Nimrod

Rebel Nimrod

Jan 23, 2014
    BK-24 probably the closest to EDC, but I don’t carry a Becker EDC with city life/office work,,,,,,give me a BK folder and then it would be all over!
    Can you imagine a Becker/Spyderco collaboration!!!

3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    I like that handle mod - may have to try it on my spare 14.

my 24 is the closest I have to an EDC Becker, because it drops easily into the tool pocket on my carpenter pants on the weekends when I'm doing woodwork, woodswalking, or shop time.

4. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Very nice mod on your 24 and sheath :thumbsup: I like the 24 also for pretty much the same reasons as you just mentioned.
    IMG_2144.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    azwelke and viking313 like this.
  5. zzyzzogeton

zzyzzogeton

Feb 17, 2013
    I carry a "straight out of the box" BK11, LRP every day. Literally.

I "carry" a BK2, a BK3 and a BK9 in my BoBs/EKs everyday in the trunk of my car and behind the seat of my truck.

But my EKs also include an 18" bolt cutter, a hacksaw, SFAK, a machete, an entrenching shovel, amongst other equipment.

The Warrior likes this.
  6. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    [​IMG]
    The 11 is my favorite, They all see some carry from time to time.
    The larger knives are useful & fun but most of what needs to be done can be done with the neckers.

azwelke and viking313 like this.
  7. SoCo

SoCo Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Bk24 is my edc when I need to carry a fixed blade. I would love a Becker 8 inch overall length knife with a 3.75 inch blade. Similar in size to a ESEE 3. Small enough to edc but big enough for hiking. The BK16 is my favorite knife but would love something a little smaller with a full handle.

8. zuluninja

zuluninja boricua grinder

Aug 25, 2009
    I edc my 9...and 16, 15, 10, a perk of being able to use fixed blades as part of work. Barely use them, tho, because I'm not inspecting cargo these days, but I still hang them at my belt, along with several other non-BK blades. The only restriction is, they have to be in a black sheath.

9. SALTY

SALTY Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Uncle E has used his ever present BK-11 for things most would use a larger knife for. the 11/14/24 strike a great balance for size, weight, shape, utility ... and price. To say that they punch above their weight would be an understatement.

viking313 and popedandy like this.
  10. cEdge

cEdge

Apr 14, 2011
    Always carry a 11 or 24. M-F in a pocket sheath. Weekends either the pocket sheath or horizontal on the belt. Below is an older photo.
    [​IMG]
    Current lineup
    [​IMG]

I do like the OP's handle mod. I've only shaved a little off the finger guard of the 11 and one of the 24's. Perhaps another 11 is in my future...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    viking313 likes this.
  11. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    My Bk14 up until last month!!!! I dropped it thru an ice hole while fishing:(

tanglediver likes this.
  12. ocnLogan

ocnLogan

Jul 31, 2011
    I don't believe I've found any Becker products that really work for my EDC role. I just don't really have a use for a fixed blade when I'm heading into the office.

I do have a BK11 that I was gifted, that the original owner put a finger choil in. However, I've never taken a liking to it, as I've found over time that I just don't like finger choils (I feel that if you're already giving up that blade length, you may as well have a proper handle, instead of a halfway attempt at one), and that the handles on the 11/14 are just too short for my preference.

I don't have a grinder, otherwise I think I'd do something very similar to the BK14 that DerekH posted, and i think that would help out a lot. To be honest though, I'm still not sure I'd use it much, as still don't have much use for a fixed blade as an EDC. But I'd be more likely to use one with those mods.

And the Remora is just too small for me to really consider carrying, for the same reason.

13. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011

I don't edc it, but the extended handle BK11 @Creaky Bones gifted me is awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Student762, viking313, TPVT and 3 others like this.
  14. dynamicmoves

dynamicmoves

Jan 6, 2011
    Keep meaning to pick up a Remora. I think it'd make a pretty good EDC, but I don't know.

tanglediver likes this.
  15. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    Nice handle for the big mitts!
    But how is it at opening the bottles?

The Warrior likes this.
  16. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Don't drink beer, so it doesn't matter, haha. That said, my whiskey bottles screw right off. ;)

tjswarbrick likes this.
  17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I found out that the bk15 works spectacularly in the kitchen. I think I'll leave it in the knife block for further kitchen duties!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I keep my 15 right on my bag . It's lite,sharp and a sweet little blade :thumbsup:
    IMG_1969.JPG

19. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    You mean to tell me that your bk15 still has the coating on it? Are you feeling alright? :D

20. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Love that mod, Derek. My issue with the BK-smalls is that I prefer more handle, less blade. You solved that neatly. For me, 2.75-3" is a perfect EDC blade length. Pretty much a fixed version of a folder, usually with a better handle-to-blade ratio (though Spyderco has that licked). I think it was Hawk or Dex who super-mod'd a BK-11 down to a little two-finger EDC. That was another brilliant setup.