Let's talk EDC, and BK&T knives that fit that role.

DerekH

Handsome According to my Mother
Which Becker knife do you carry for EDC, and why?

For me, we had a thread way back by Hawkhead where he modified a BK-14, and I had to try my hand at the mods he did. It went well, but for whatever reason it just didn't fit my needs until I redid the handle.

OZSEzrG.jpg

For everyday use, this fits the role nicely. Small, thin package that is easily pocketed, a setup I can carry as a neck knife, or in my back pocket, and it doesn't take up too much space. Utility vs size is at the right point. Sharp as heck, because this is a BK-24 it holds its edge very well.

From everything for cutting up food to opening packages, or even making shavings and using a firesteel, this one does it all. What do you guys carry from the BK&T lineup? I see many fans of the Izulas, and I definitely understand why, but does anyone use the similar BK-11/14/24 for the job?

BK-24 probably the closest to EDC, but I donโ€™t carry a Becker EDC with city life/office work,,,,,,give me a BK folder and then it would be all over!
Can you imagine a Becker/Spyderco collaboration!!!

I like that handle mod - may have to try it on my spare 14.

my 24 is the closest I have to an EDC Becker, because it drops easily into the tool pocket on my carpenter pants on the weekends when I'm doing woodwork, woodswalking, or shop time.

Which Becker knife do you carry for EDC, and why?

For me, we had a thread way back by Hawkhead where he modified a BK-14, and I had to try my hand at the mods he did. It went well, but for whatever reason it just didn't fit my needs until I redid the handle.

OZSEzrG.jpg

For everyday use, this fits the role nicely. Small, thin package that is easily pocketed, a setup I can carry as a neck knife, or in my back pocket, and it doesn't take up too much space. Utility vs size is at the right point. Sharp as heck, because this is a BK-24 it holds its edge very well.

From everything for cutting up food to opening packages, or even making shavings and using a firesteel, this one does it all. What do you guys carry from the BK&T lineup? I see many fans of the Izulas, and I definitely understand why, but does anyone use the similar BK-11/14/24 for the job?
Very nice mod on your 24 and sheath :thumbsup: I like the 24 also for pretty much the same reasons as you just mentioned.
IMG_2144.JPG

Last edited:
I carry a "straight out of the box" BK11, LRP every day. Literally.

I "carry" a BK2, a BK3 and a BK9 in my BoBs/EKs everyday in the trunk of my car and behind the seat of my truck.

But my EKs also include an 18" bolt cutter, a hacksaw, SFAK, a machete, an entrenching shovel, amongst other equipment.

Sb5IIov.jpg

The 11 is my favorite, They all see some carry from time to time.
The larger knives are useful & fun but most of what needs to be done can be done with the neckers.

Bk24 is my edc when I need to carry a fixed blade. I would love a Becker 8 inch overall length knife with a 3.75 inch blade. Similar in size to a ESEE 3. Small enough to edc but big enough for hiking. The BK16 is my favorite knife but would love something a little smaller with a full handle.

I edc my 9...and 16, 15, 10, a perk of being able to use fixed blades as part of work. Barely use them, tho, because I'm not inspecting cargo these days, but I still hang them at my belt, along with several other non-BK blades. The only restriction is, they have to be in a black sheath.

Uncle E has used his ever present BK-11 for things most would use a larger knife for. the 11/14/24 strike a great balance for size, weight, shape, utility ... and price. To say that they punch above their weight would be an understatement.

Always carry a 11 or 24. M-F in a pocket sheath. Weekends either the pocket sheath or horizontal on the belt. Below is an older photo.

Current lineup

I do like the OP's handle mod. I've only shaved a little off the finger guard of the 11 and one of the 24's. Perhaps another 11 is in my future...

Last edited:
I don't believe I've found any Becker products that really work for my EDC role. I just don't really have a use for a fixed blade when I'm heading into the office.

I do have a BK11 that I was gifted, that the original owner put a finger choil in. However, I've never taken a liking to it, as I've found over time that I just don't like finger choils (I feel that if you're already giving up that blade length, you may as well have a proper handle, instead of a halfway attempt at one), and that the handles on the 11/14 are just too short for my preference.

I don't have a grinder, otherwise I think I'd do something very similar to the BK14 that DerekH posted, and i think that would help out a lot. To be honest though, I'm still not sure I'd use it much, as still don't have much use for a fixed blade as an EDC. But I'd be more likely to use one with those mods.

And the Remora is just too small for me to really consider carrying, for the same reason.

Nice handle for the big mitts!
But how is it at opening the bottles?
Don't drink beer, so it doesn't matter, haha. That said, my whiskey bottles screw right off. ;)

Love that mod, Derek. My issue with the BK-smalls is that I prefer more handle, less blade. You solved that neatly. For me, 2.75-3" is a perfect EDC blade length. Pretty much a fixed version of a folder, usually with a better handle-to-blade ratio (though Spyderco has that licked). I think it was Hawk or Dex who super-mod'd a BK-11 down to a little two-finger EDC. That was another brilliant setup.

Back