Lets talk GEC!

Well Frank, all I can say is; I've never run across a #23 or #73 with as light a pull as five (5).

Gotta watch those nails!!!!!! Otherwise, you might end up at the "Nail Parlor" in a Walmart.:rolleyes:

Well Frank, all I can say is; I've never run across a #23 or #73 with as light a pull as five (5).

Gotta watch those nails!!!!!! Otherwise, you might end up at the "Nail Parlor" in a Walmart.:rolleyes:

I have on more than one occasion resorted to borrowing my daughter's clear nail polish to protect a nail torn by a recalcitrant blade.

In my experience, these with lanyard tubes are easier to open than those with a solid rear pin or end cap.

With multiple examples, my experience is the same. Matter of fact, I have a beavertail 73 with lanyard tube that is easily pinched open.

Last edited:
So GEC has a new 48 coming out that has a muskrat clip and wharncliffe. Anyone got any other details? Both blades full or is the wharncliffe a smaller blade? Pulls on the same side?

Thanks Trand, I have been away a little lately and missed your thread. Kind of wish it was a short but will hold out to see what this guy looks like finished. Hoping both pulls are on the same side and the wharnie sits lower to the frame then the other WT they make. The way its worded on Mikes site it sounds like a bare end version :thumbup:. The blackwood is already callin me lol

Thanks Trand, I have been away a little lately and missed your thread. Kind of wish it was a short but will hold out to see what this guy looks like finished. Hoping both pulls are on the same side and the wharnie sits lower to the frame then the other WT they make. The way its worded on Mikes site it sounds like a bare end version :thumbup:. The blackwood is already callin me lol

It would leave me very surprised if it was bare end. Just having "smooth bolster" instead of "bolsters" was not insinuating bare ended; just not parsing what came from the factory. I genuinely expect this to be one of the finer knives they have produced in a long while. Matter of fact, I was prepared to cut an SFO order for the #15 boys with a full clip / wharncliffe and possibly even spear / wharncliffe; but this knife has me in a holding pattern on that...

It would leave me very surprised if it was bare end. Just having "smooth bolster" instead of "bolsters" was not insinuating bare ended; just not parsing what came from the factory. I genuinely expect this to be one of the finer knives they have produced in a long while. Matter of fact, I was prepared to cut an SFO order for the #15 boys with a full clip / wharncliffe and possibly even spear / wharncliffe; but this knife has me in a holding pattern on that...

If you decide to go forward with an SFO, count me in for three. I'd personally prefer the clip over the spear, but the wharncliff is the main attraction on this for me.

here are a couple comparison shot for those that are interested (T-B: 42, 72, 73)....
9666986612_548fe73f97_c.jpg

9663756973_7c017b40b0_c.jpg

I'm not sure what it would cost but I would love GEC to use some MOP. I know they've used Looking Glass Pearl as I have a few but I'd love some actual MOP. Maybe on a etch-less 440C #33 Conductor with long pull and cut swedge on the clip blade, and coping blade secondary. All stainless construction too please. I'd love some Damascus blades too eventually, just not on this MOP #33.

I'd still like actual MOP but this stuff doesn't look too bad... Anyone know if there's some actual pearl in this or if its just MOTS?
462213-stl-white-pearl-acrylic.jpg

GEDC59272%20COLORS.JPG

Jeff, I gotta ask here - What's the big deal about both pulls/nicks on the same side?????? Personally, I could care less. If that's the way a knife comes, ok but if it comes with both nicks on opposite sides, no big deal. Sometimes, having the nicks on the same side, makes it more difficult to open a blade even if the nicks are done well. Just askin:)

Ask away ED :)

It just looks better to me. I like holding the knife the same every time to open it. Its not one of my deal breakers by any means, just something I prefer.

I'd really like to see the 48 in a single clip/barehead. I can wait till the next round of 48s though.

I'm more excited about the Abilene. I'm wondering what cover options those will have. I might even consider buying more than one.

I have both and personally prefer the blade geometry of the 73 much more... If you like a lock it comes with a liner lock.

I thought the 72 and 73 were both lockbacks? Does the 73 feel alot different in hand? I would be carrying as an edc in my rotation.

Back