Lets talk GEC!

A little stropping goes a long way!!:D

ahhh I consider stropping to be “sharpening”... it being a method to maintain an edge. Using your definition i generally put my edge on a GEC when it arrives and then never “sharpen” it again. :D:p

20° bevel and frequent stropping? Yes, 2 times a year seems correct.
Do you (and anyone else) find you prefer a 20 degree edge to a 25 for a “hard user”? Yesterday I put a 25 degree on my 74 and kept thinking I should have went with 20.

Do you (and anyone else) find you prefer a 20 degree edge to a 25 for a “hard user”? Yesterday I put a 25 degree on my 74 and kept thinking I should have went with 20.
20° is my EDC/hard use edge. Lower on job specific (mostly carving) blades.

50835140477_bb3088bb5d_m.jpg
stropping saves edges! couple of passes on the crock sticks keeps my dailys nice and sharp
I agree. I have always used a Lansky system for initial sharpening and the Lansky turn box crock sticks for touch up. I use a 25 degree because I think it lasts longer and is plenty sharp. In fact recently I have taken the time to use the grittier sticks for the initial edge on 1095. (I'm old and retired and have more time now :) )

Last edited:
Thank you for the insightful opinions gents.
I used to have one of those fancy guided systems and, while it did a good job, it just seemed like way to much money invested in a sharpener (especially now that I sold off most of my framelocks and supersteel knives) :rolleyes:. So I sold it and bought a Lansky myself after seeing first hand what kind of edge you can achieve.
Anyways, to get back onto subject :)
636-F29-CD-54-A3-4668-921-D-9710-E9-AA5378.jpg

I am a wee bit puzzled now... Charlie (@waynorth) had a run produced of 500ish in the Sepia Sawcut Bone - is GEC taking the TC and doing their own thing with these other cover options?

Dang it! I was perfectly content to sit back and watch the lolly scramble from a distance.

Seriously, I want one if it's in stock somewhere, but I don't do the email-every-dealer-to-try-to-get-on-a-list thing.

I don't do the email-every-dealer thing either. If I cannot get it from the couple of dealers that I regularly work with, then I am content to miss out - sometimes I get lucky with the secondary market or a forum buddy. That being said, I will do my best to help you land one of these.

I don't do the email-every-dealer thing either. If I cannot get it from the couple of dealers that I regularly work with, then I am content to miss out - sometimes I get lucky with the secondary market or a forum buddy. That being said, I will do my best to help you land one of these.
That is very kind of you! :)

Back