Lets talk GEC!

Does anyone know why the Waynorth sawcut has the Tidioute tang stamp and not the Waynorth tang stamp?

I noticed that too.

They always have…

Somewhat speculative on my part but I believe it has to do with the fact that TC (the bolster stamp) stands for Tidioute Cutlery - not Tom's Choice as seems to be a popular belief. It would be odd to have a Waynorth Cutlery tang stamp on a knife that is otherwise branded as Tidioute Cutlery via the bolster stamp.

…and I’m pretty sure that’s the reason. (I’m almost certain that Charlie has said so at some point, but I don’t have the post handy to say so definitively.)

They always have…

…and I’m pretty sure that’s the reason. (I’m almost certain that Charlie has said so at some point, but I don’t have the post handy to say so definitively.)
So its only the TC's that don't have the Waynorth stamp. Gotcha. I only have one Waynorth and its an 86 and has his tang stamp.

So its only the TC's that don't have the Waynorth stamp. Gotcha. I only have one Waynorth and its an 86 and has his tang stamp.
I think only the 93 Lambsfoot, 97 Allegheny, and 86 Black Jack have the stamp. None of the 15s, or 77s, or 35s, or 54s, or 66s....
The stamp debuted on the Lambsfoot, if I’m not mistaken.

Edit: Scratch that on the 97. It has Waynorth Cutlery as the blade etch.

Last edited:
(I’m almost certain that Charlie has said so at some point, but I don’t have the post handy to say so definitively.)

Now that I think about it, I believe this was a discussion that took place re: the 2017 forum knife. Bill required that it be Tidioute-branded because of the TC stamp, whereas before we’d had GEC-made forum knives with just the BladeForums stamp.

Here’s the post I was thinking of (it’s the first post in this thread re: the 2017 forum knife):

Anyway, here is a tidbit: Bill insists the front tang must have Tidioute on it to be consistent with the TC on the Bolster, so has devised the following stamping for the pile side of the tang:

blade-forums-stamp-jpg.710579

They always have…

I don’t think Charlie had a barlow since he started using the tang stamp. I just assumed once he started using it, it would go on every knife.
Here’s the post I was thinking of (it’s the first post in this thread re: the 2017 forum knife):
That makes sense, but seems maybe the same could have been done with the Waynorth stamp, but maybe not. I guess only Charlie or Bill could tell us for sure.

It’s not a big deal, I was just curious when I noticed the tang stamp in the picture as I thought it was sold as a Waynorth Cutlery knife.

I contacted some dealers about possibly getting on a list for an Osage TC, but all are spoken for already.
Going back to sitting on the fence... Have fun guys/gals.
I'm not even gonna try. These short runs are starting to not be worth the headache. Hate to see the flippers. But love to see the excitement from members here when they land one here!

"All That Glistens Is Not Gold ....The Paths of Glory Lead But to The Grave" ;) (you can check the poetic reference if you like)

Seems like knife collecting is becoming Knife Stressing :D:eek:

As for this idea of a dealer claiming to have to significantly raise prices in order to quell flipping...:poop: Bit like a drug dealer saying I'm forced to sell you this stuff in order to make you addicts :rolleyes: You can justify anything if you put your mind to it...

Back to the knife specifics though: I like the idea of Sawn Osage, long been wanting Sawn Ivory coloured bone, that would be an ageing paradise :cool: But as somebody asked earlier WHY is the Osage so dark?? Looks like Walnut o_O Osage starts off golden yellow then darkens and can eventually take on a turd hue ;) Bit like......:D

Thanks, Will

I'm not even gonna try. These short runs are starting to not be worth the headache. Hate to see the flippers. But love to see the excitement from members here when they land one here!
I've never been a GEC customer, in part because their marketing plan doesn't match my buying plan. I have no interest in hoping I can somehow buy a knife that never even gets "on the shelf" at a dealer. But the products are only knives, and I've found lots of knives that I enjoy that I can buy at my leisure. ;):thumbsup::cool:

Unfortunately, trying to get scheduled for COVID vaccine seems to be very similar to the GEC knife buying experience, and it's the only game in town as far as vaccine goes, so I have to play. (Maybe I'd be more successful if I had lots of experience with the GEC purchasing scenario. :rolleyes:)

- GT

They took down the "whats happening" link, maybe getting ready to give us some info? A production schedule would be nice, I know they had those northwoods to crank out but since these new 15s arrive im kind of just assuming theyre already done.

Reactions: AnW
GEC for some of us has become “Ghost Eastern Cutlery”.

When I started collecting just a few years back it was fairly straight forward. I could put in a request to a dealer or watch carefully on release dates and I had some luck in acquiring the models I desired.
I think I have 6 of the single blade 78s.

I enjoy and carry a number of GECs but recently the options to acquire them has become limited for me especially being up in Canada.

I still enjoy looking at the pictures and following on the forum. I really want to go back to Titusville for the Rendezvous and to browse the store but not sure if my collection will expand at all the way things are going.

,,,Mike in Canada

Back