Lets talk GEC!

The glory of the free market is the freedom: it allows people to use their resources as they see fit. The shame of the free market is that people don't always use their resources virtuously. But what is the better alternative?

At the end of the day one has to go back to fundamental priorities; if knife buying and selling knives is a hobby, which it is for many of us (for others, it is a livelihood), then it ought not to so consume our interests as to bring us to grief. Holding things loosely that matter little in the grand scheme of things will ultimately allow the pleasure of the hobby to remain, rather than be robbed by disappointments that cannot be avoided by the current state of affairs.

I'm in the camp of folks who don't have the income to buy knives at a premium whenever I have the desire to do so. I've tried to cultivate an appreciation for the knives I get to see others enjoying who have been able to acquire them. Sometimes I find myself growing impatient or envious, but when I do I step away and try to laugh at myself, because it really isn't different from the kid at the candy shop who is seconds late to get the latest candy bar. Such immaturity does not become a man of integrity, and I'd rather laugh at my foolish moments and put them aside rather than dwell in them blindly.

But anyway, look at this cool knife; it is my favorite GEC (the only one I haven't modified, apparently):
ED4F3C2E-6699-44CE-9DBF-9DD261537D38_1_105_c.jpeg

There are no solutions to this issue other than flippers, rationing, boycotts, protests, riots, and huge amounts of grumbling.

High quality goods are rare, and rare goods command a price premium.

I think it is time for Bill H. to create a few graphs and charts showing exponential demand curve and price curves, then go to hedge funds and sell company for 500 million based on ever increasing future production and sales.

Then hedge fund will off shore to increase production and margins, then company will go bankrupt because the product will be junk, hedge fund will sell company back to Bill H. at a 450 million dollar loss on paper, and Bill will have money to buy more machines and a larger factory and train more employees. This is the best path forward.

How lucky so many of us are that we can be upset about not being able to acquire our 23rd or 52nd acrylic handled pocket knife. I think I will donate the dollar value of my missed TC Barlow SFO to my local food bank today. I actually think that will make me feel better all around. Still been fun whining about it all I must admit. A good distraction from more serious matters. Like a hobby!

I still received a new knife in the mail yesterday and have another one on the way. Time to be satisfied a bit. Time to share.

I am looking forward to the Boys Knife and will hopefully get luckier than I have been recently. Let the fun return. I really hope to see some of you folks in Titusville this year. Imagine staying in a hotel far from home and dining at a table in an actual restaurant with a friend. WOW!

,,,Mike in Canada

At the end of the day one has to go back to fundamental priorities; if knife buying and selling knives is a hobby, which it is for many of us (for others, it is a livelihood), then it ought not to so consume our interests as to bring us to grief. Holding things loosely that matter little in the grand scheme of things will ultimately allow the pleasure of the hobby to remain, rather than be robbed by disappointments that cannot be avoided by the current state of affairs.
beer.gif

...or envious,

But anyway, look at this cool knife; it is my favorite GEC (the only one I haven't modified, apparently):
View attachment 1495614

I was going to say once one owns 100+ knives, it's easy to not be envious. Then you posted that picture...
:p

I received an email from him that said his computer had been hacked for the second time and he was turning it off for good and getting off the internet. I only know him from communications and he has gotten quite aggravated that I could not accommodate some of his request. He seems like a good guy down deep but runs very hot and cold. Maybe he will get his technology issue resolved and be back.

I'm sure you are aware he has sustained injuries to the brain that I am sure contribute to his hot and cold times. Usually after his hot times, he eventually realizes and comes around and admits.

Can't say I'll miss his constant name-dropping about dealers he's friends with and how he's buying seven or eight of the new GEC model drop that most folks here couldn't score even one of. Where others see passion for knives, I see passion for making sure we all know he's being taken care of by his dealers when others aren't. That, plus the nature of some of his other comments just makes him pretty offputting for some of us. All I have to say on THAT topic.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping to score at least one of the #85s, having struck out on pretty much everything else for the most part from recent drops.

I get what you are saying, but life has dealt him a tough deal and I usually cut him some slack. He has had some injuries that I for sure would have a tough time dealing with. I think he does the best he can with what has been dealt to him.

This thread needs more knives in it. It is Farm & Field Friday after all.

avQMcmQ.jpg

Bots are a myth - some type of automated purchase function is something jolted buyers say when they miss a drop. Been in technology all my life on the smallest and grandest schemes and have never seen an automated process developed that could add to cart, checkout, pay in an automated fashion. Yes, bots can watch a page for changes - if you know what page to watch. But the theory that someone is using bots to purchase knives fully is just silly in my mind.

Back to GEC's production. I didn't assume you could increase GEC's production in reality. I'm asking you - if you were president of GEC; what would you do differently (specifically). You have a factory that has stations for 30 employees; and those employees can produce an average of 120 knives per day. There is no more floor space and no more local talent.

Go! How do you increase your quantity without sacrificing your quality?

I don't imagine bots are being used to buy GEC knives, but bots are developed/used all the time to buy stuff online. Obama even signed legislation banning the use for ticket sales of tickets obtained buy the use of bots.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bet...utlawed the,the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

mbkr mbkr bought and sold my first Harley in the late 90s, an ordered 97 black softail custom, for more than I paid after riding it over a year. Did the same with my second harley, 98 Fatboy. Bought both at MSRP from the same local dealer. Even though prices were higher, Santa Maria HD sold only to local customers and only at MSRP. Thought "ride free" meant you could ride them free for a couple years when you sold them for what you paid.

@mrknife bought my first Rolex when I retired, no date sub because it was the cheapest sub. Traded it in plus cash for a two tone sub but always missed the symmetry / less flashy no date. Few years later was lucky to buy one for MSRP with only a 2 month wait because of my previous relationship / purchases from local AD. Am halfway through their 3 year preferred customer waiting list for a SS Daytona, at MSRP. You know the markup on these on the secondary market, but I don't flip. Have never paid more (or less) than MSRP for a Rolex because I have established a good relationship with local AD ... buying for MSRP years ago when they didn't command the premium they do today. Loyalty rewarded.

@knifeswapper wish I wasn't out for a walk yesterday when your email came. Thanks for your perspective / info / honesty. 20 years ago I was a Microtech Certified dealer, and sold Walter Brend hand ground Combat Talon IIs for less than MSRP even though the market was super hot for them. I only got a few at a time, but never gouged. Only way for GEC to stop flippers is double their prices and sell direct only. Have a limited sign up / pay in advance period, close it and make the ordered knives. This wouldn't be good for you and other dealers, but it would stop the flippers and significantly increase their bottom line. Am really surprised GEC hasn't broken the code.

Folks who inherited cash have no skin in the game so they often squander it. Folks who earned it themselves through hard work and have saved a little are generally frugal, that's why they have extra cash. Have given away triple the slipjoints than I have ever sold. Gave away 3 GECs at Christmas to folks I have never met in person. Given away many GECs here on BF, mostly TCs. Have never sold on ebay, will give you my nick if anyone wants to verify. I never, ever flip. I want cheap TCs because I want to give the extras away. I can afford to give away a few at $63.63, or even $127 (sepia were higher), but can't afford to give them away at $400-500. Speaking of frugal, meet Frosty, my new / used / 18 year old tacoma with 135K miles (low miles for a tacoma). Could buy a new one, but I'm frugal. Buying Frosty rather than new frees up more funds to buy slipjoints to give away.

frosty-1.jpg

For an apples to apples comparison, this screencap shows completed auctions for the glitter gold $63.63 TCs. If folks insist on paying $385, my intent is for them to do so with wide open eyes.

glittergoldprice.jpg

mbkr mbkr bought and sold my first Harley in the late 90s, an ordered 97 black softail custom, for more than I paid after riding it over a year. Did the same with my second harley, 98 Fatboy. Bought both at MSRP from the same local dealer. Even though prices were higher, Santa Maria HD sold only to local customers and only at MSRP. Thought "ride free" meant you could ride them free for a couple years when you sold them for what you paid.

@mrknife bought my first Rolex when I retired, no date sub because it was the cheapest sub. Traded it in plus cash for a two tone sub but always missed the symmetry / less flashy no date. Few years later was lucky to buy one for MSRP with only a 2 month wait because of my previous relationship / purchases from local AD. Am halfway through their 3 year preferred customer waiting list for a SS Daytona, at MSRP. You know the markup on these on the secondary market, but I don't flip. Have never paid more (or less) than MSRP for a Rolex because I have established a good relationship with local AD ... buying for MSRP years ago when they didn't command the premium they do today. Loyalty rewarded.

@knifeswapper wish I wasn't out for a walk yesterday when your email came. Thanks for your perspective / info / honesty. 20 years ago I was a Microtech Certified dealer, and sold Walter Brend hand ground Combat Talon IIs for less than MSRP even though the market was super hot for them. I only got a few at a time, but never gouged. Only way for GEC to stop flippers is double their prices and sell direct only. Have a limited sign up / pay in advance period, close it and make the ordered knives. This wouldn't be good for you and other dealers, but it would stop the flippers and significantly increase their bottom line. Am really surprised GEC hasn't broken the code.

Folks who inherited cash have no skin in the game so they often squander it. Folks who earned it themselves through hard work and have saved a little are generally frugal, that's why they have extra cash. Have given away triple the slipjoints than I have ever sold. Gave away 3 GECs at Christmas to folks I have never met in person. Given away many GECs here on BF, mostly TCs. Have never sold on ebay, will give you my nick if anyone wants to verify. I never, ever flip. I want cheap TCs because I want to give the extras away. I can afford to give away a few at $63.63, or even $127 (sepia were higher), but can't afford to give them away at $400-500. Speaking of frugal, meet Frosty, my new / used / 18 year old tacoma with 135K miles (low miles for a tacoma). Could buy a new one, but I'm frugal. Buying Frosty rather than new frees up more funds to buy slipjoints to give away.

frosty-1.jpg

For an apples to apples comparison, this screencap shows completed auctions for the glitter gold $63.63 TCs. If folks insist on paying $385, my intent is for them to do so with wide open eyes.

glittergoldprice.jpg
Good deal. Cars are the worst investment!

The glory of the free market is the freedom: it allows people to use their resources as they see fit. The shame of the free market is that people don't always use their resources virtuously. But what is the better alternative?

I'm in the camp of folks who don't have the income to buy knives at a premium whenever I have the desire to do so. I've tried to cultivate an appreciation for the knives I get to see others enjoying who have been able to acquire them. Sometimes I find myself growing impatient or envious, but when I do I step away and try to laugh at myself, because it really isn't different from the kid at the candy shop who is seconds late to get the latest candy bar. Such immaturity does not become a man of integrity, and I'd rather laugh at my foolish moments and put them aside rather than dwell in them blindly.

View attachment 1495614
I love those Stainless Steel 15's :D

I personally like the northfield trim on the 85s more, but I am interested to see how the bone turns out on this one. Have they ever done a "smooth natural bone" before? A quick google shows smooth white bone of course and antique autumn, anyone have a pic they can share of a smooth natural bone?

Isn't the 23 Autumn bone and the Black teal Rattler "smooth natural bone?"
WyRPYj4l.jpg
br1ebpgl.jpg

Here's a simple leather pocket slip I recently made for my much loved #35. Related to my #35- I've finally realized why the main blade seems to go dull faster than my other GECs. Upon inspection yesterday I realized if I let the blade snap shut the main blade connects with the brass spacer and it blunts the edge some. There's a pretty substantial groove where the blade's been striking it again and again. I guess I'll just be closing the mains on my #35 and #33 carefully... annoying but it is what it is at this point.

MwUFg5g.jpg

mphXtjA.jpg

Run the hell out the popular patterns for months?

I honestly think this would be the best solution. If they produced, say, 4x the number of these TC’s, they’d still sell all of ‘em, but there wouldn’t be the excess of demand that allows flippers to sell ‘em for 4x/5x/6x the price.

The downside, of course, is that you wouldn’t get as many patterns produced in a year, but at this point, for me at least, that’d be preferable to the current situation.

On a completely separate note, I’d like to see some more Farm & Field knives at some point. Feels like it’s been a while. Also, I need more Nifebrite! ;) :D

Back