Lets talk GEC!

Well, I'm about 4,000 miles away from the factory store and have never had the chance to darken their doorway, so I can't speak from any direct personal experience sadly. But reading up on posts on the interwebs leads me to believe they may be had sometimes from the shop, in person (and certainly available from the shop, in person, during the annual Rendezvous). I don't think anything that exciting ever makes it to their online store.

You've got me beat, but I'm still over 1000 miles out and doubt I end up picking Pennsylvania as a vacation spot. Maybe it's for the best they don't put any of that stuff online--one less website to refresh every so often just to not find anything!

Yeah...ditto. :confused::confused::confused:
MaFIMea.jpg
As an a fan of acrylic handles I’m pretty disappointed with this trend of visible seams. I don’t think I’ve seen another modern knife company put out acrylic with seams. With the DS I figured it was a fluke and they were using up scraps. Now the 89s appear to be using conjoined pieces. If it’s a cost savings means, I would rather pay more to keep the knife esthetically pleasing.

As an a fan of acrylic handles I’m pretty disappointed with this trend of visible seams. I don’t think I’ve seen another modern knife company put out acrylic with seams. With the DS I figured it was a fluke and they were using up scraps. Now the 89s appear to be using conjoined pieces. If it’s a cost savings means, I would rather pay more to keep the knife esthetically pleasing.

Agree - I won’t be seeking out any GEC acrylics anytime soon....

Agree - I won’t be seeking out any GEC acrylics anytime soon....
I’m not quite there yet. I still want an 89 apples and oranges acrylic, but dread the seam. A GEC employee responded to a Facebook comment and told me that’s how the sheets are now and not every knife has the seams. I let it drop, but I have yet to see an 85 DS without a seam, including GEC production photos. If anyone has one, please post a picture. This ends my acrylic rant.

I’m not quite there yet. I still want an 89 apples and oranges acrylic, but dread the seam. A GEC employee responded to a Facebook comment and told me that’s how the sheets are now and not every knife has the seams. I let it drop, but I have yet to see an 85 DS without a seam, including GEC production photos. If anyone has one, please post a picture. This ends my acrylic rant.

Yeah, it’s weird. They obviously are doing something different now. DS from prior runs did not have the dreaded seam...“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. I’d be curious to know what they were trying to fix? (Assuming they truly have started using a different method for these acrylics).

Does anyone have a picture comparing the 83 to a 42? I’ve never had an 83 would like to see the together if possible. Thanks in advance

Yes I have noticed (from other photos circulating online) that many tube caps on SFAs actually include the production info, 1 of 12 etc. I wish this one was similarly helpful, maybe it predates that approach. The GEC labeling system has certainly evolved over time. As I mentioned before the shield change is the only difference I can see from the normal run of these improved trappers. I really like houndstooth shields though, so it's a nice little bonus :)

Are your blades satin finished? They kinda look like they might be in the picture, if so that would be another difference from the standard Northfield. I really like the houndstooth shield on yours over the in-x-ld on the standard ones.

I didn't realize those entries on the production sheets were SFAs! I had noticed that the Rendezvous knives were (sometimes?) included, like the 66 abalone in 2010 (labeled Rendezvous) or the pinewood Whaler (not labeled Rendezvous). But I didn't realize those very short run entries were the SFAs. It's extra confusing when you have to check subsequent sheets for late additions to prior year totals, like your 2017 stamped SFA on the 2018 sheet. Appreciate your help in making sense of these details!
I’m sure you noticed that those knives that are assembled with blades stamped with a previous year are marked by the red font.

I randomly found this 2017 trade post with an interesting pattern. Does anyone know what # pattern for the jigged brown serpentine UN-X-LD on the right, fifth down, below the TC Barlow?
Looks like a 56 Geppetto or a variant to me.

My bad one number off 57. Wrangler.

I overlooked the "6" in that 56 you originally called :rolleyes::cool: . The Wrangler's were on the 57 frame but we're punch stockmans. Thats a Geppetto... Problem with GEC's site is that in those release narchives they don't always have everything shown. So they show a run of Geppetto Whittlers with the wharncliffe main, but they definitely ran them with clip mains (I had a Tidioute in Bocote.)

I overlooked the "6" in that 56 you originally called :rolleyes::cool: . The Wrangler's were on the 57 frame but we're punch stockmans. Thats a Geppetto... Problem with GEC's site is that in those release narchives they don't always have everything shown. So they show a run of Geppetto Whittlers with the wharncliffe main, but they definitely ran them with clip mains (I had a Tidioute in Bocote.)
Nice.

Back