Lets talk GEC!

My bad one number off 57. Wrangler.

Thanks! Found a blade open pic with that info. Cute, stout and stubby little 3.5" knife. Seems these were all made in 2012, so perhaps GEC could be running them again in the next couple of years! :)

dsc-0086.jpg

It will be interesting to see how long it will take them to get back to another whittler, I here there is some split back fatigue right now.

I feel like whittlers used to be more common in the early years. Courthouse whittlers, Conductor whittlers, Executive whittlers, Workhorse whittlers, Gepetto whittlers, some whittler on the 53 frame whose name escapes me.... and of course the Grinlings. But on second thought maybe they were made about as frequently, they just didn’t disappear so quickly and absolutely from dealer stock and secondhand.

@rdave that is a handsome collection of straight edges...
Jaw droppers... though I must say I prefer the pile side of the ramsfoot- that shield never did much for me.

April 8th, 2021... Dear Diary...
Haaaa!
As an a fan of acrylic handles I’m pretty disappointed with this trend of visible seams. I don’t think I’ve seen another modern knife company put out acrylic with seams. With the DS I figured it was a fluke and they were using up scraps. Now the 89s appear to be using conjoined pieces. If it’s a cost savings means, I would rather pay more to keep the knife esthetically pleasing.

Agree - I won’t be seeking out any GEC acrylics anytime soon....
The apples and oranges is the dead skunk with orange paint on the underside of it so the translucent white shows through as orange.

I’m not quite there yet. I still want an 89 apples and oranges acrylic, but dread the seam. A GEC employee responded to a Facebook comment and told me that’s how the sheets are now and not every knife has the seams. I let it drop, but I have yet to see an 85 DS without a seam, including GEC production photos. If anyone has one, please post a picture. This ends my acrylic rant.
I, too, have yet to see one without a seam. AND I'VE BEEN ACTIVELY LOOKING. I found one that was really close, but a seam snuck in on the very edge!

I like acrylic more than the average GEC buyer, but if I know I'm going to get a seam, I'd be inclined to just pass.

BUT.....this is one advantage to the 89! Does GEC make a slimmer knife?? Haha. Bill is a clever one. Turn it into a different acrylic with something underneath that's orange and put it on a very slim pattern where.....in theory, we could see a healthy number sans seam! :thumbsup:

I, too, have yet to see one without a seam. AND I'VE BEEN ACTIVELY LOOKING. I found one that was really close, but a seam snuck in on the very edge!

I like acrylic more than the average GEC buyer, but if I know I'm going to get a seam, I'd be inclined to just pass.

BUT.....this is one advantage to the 89! Does GEC make a slimmer knife?? Haha. Bill is a clever one. Turn it into a different acrylic with something underneath that's orange and put it on a very slim pattern where.....in theory, we could see a healthy number sans seam! :thumbsup:

You would think there would be less chance of seeing a seam... but it seems like they are visible in these photos:
C21FBCD3-EF33-4FB5-AF3E-C69E8E8644D4.jpeg 6CA2DD60-1BF8-4E66-B353-DC84D9A5910D.jpeg

Are your blades satin finished? They kinda look like they might be in the picture, if so that would be another difference from the standard Northfield. I really like the houndstooth shield on yours over the in-x-ld on the standard ones.

Yes! That was a sharp observation, and something I forget to think about most of the time. I had to grab the knife to make certain but you are exactly right. They are the Northfield blades for sure (NF tang stamp and have the nice long swedges cut in that the Tidioute run did not get) but they have a satin finish not the mirror polish that the NF line usually gets. AND another glaringly obvious difference, no blade etch either. So it's a bit more of a franken-knife than just the different shield.

I’m sure you noticed that those knives that are assembled with blades stamped with a previous year are marked by the red font.

Yes, I just find it difficult to remember to search those later year sheets for the run numbers I'm trying to find.

All the #85 Dead Skunks seem :rolleyes: to have the seam, but I will say that some are less noticeable than others (they blend better with the swirls of the acrylic) and I’ve only seen a handful that I’d say really look bad.

I think the seam on mine looks ok, but still, I’d rather have a seamless acrylic.

AhFin5l.jpg

I would think the solid color acrylics would be safe? I'd hate to see a seam on a glow-in-the-dark handle.

Now that would be a real head-scratcher. :confused:

Last edited:
I don’t think your 85 skunk has a seam. That just looks like a curly swirl?

A seam is a perfectly straight line?

It’s so puzzling that they have seams but are an artificial material. I understand the whole ‘natural materials have natural flaws’ argument but where does that come into it for these?

Is it possible that this acrylic material is just all the leftover pieces from an earlier run?

Back