Lets talk GEC!

Nice! I was going to ask Jiki Jiki how he sharpens his I’m assuming course for the main and fine for the secondaries, that’s what I did but I whittle like once or twice a year and nothing much comes of it, so what do I know.

im guessing he’d probably give them both the same treatment, primary or secondary. I’m not sure a toothy edge buys much for cutting wood. Personally I take them all to a mirror polish. That way I can rough cut or make finishing cuts with the same edge.

for the record, GECs 1095 is some of the best steel I’ve used in carving, mostly because of how effective a simple strip is, and how seldom I have to take them to stones.

Nice! I was going to ask Jiki Jiki how he sharpens his I’m assuming course for the main and fine for the secondaries, that’s what I did but I whittle like once or twice a year and nothing much comes of it, so what do I know.
With having the luxury of being able to carry this whittler as an exclusive carving knife, I put fine edges on all of the blades. Like Dan I have using the main for most of the cuts needed. As discussed last week the thickness of the blade vs the pocket carver is noticable.

Like Dan I have using the main for most of the cuts needed. As discussed last week the thickness of the blade vs the pocket carver is noticable.

it’s a very well designed blade. It’s probably the most impressive wharnecliffe I’ve seen. Whittling or not, it’s so darned useful.

kjYR64S.jpg

A very special thanks to two of my fellow porch members, Jiki Jiki and @Leslie Tomville for offering to sell me these two beautiful 38’s at cost. Jiki’s package came with the added bonus of the carved bear seen surveying the scene, and a piece of basswood which I turned into figures (inspired by Jiki’s usual character carvings). Both were done solely with the 38’s main blade (and a hatchet to divide the wood blank in half).
The Whittler pattern is my favorite multi blade pattern, and I’d have no doubt missed these completely if it wasn’t for the two gentlemen. To have one is great, and to have two is outstanding. I fully intend to use of of these up in my lifetime.

dRddrua.jpg
Awesome knife and awesome whittling!

Since recent discussion has been surrounding whittling. Are the main blades on the 62 Easy Pocket Congress and 62 Pocket Carver the same? Thanks

Probably but I don't have an epc. I believe the epc and the wharncliff on the 82s are same.

Hi guys! I've received a pre-own gec 71 and there is a slight rusting in between the liners and a back spring. I've tried soaking that area in mineral (victorinox) oil, it helped a bit (or so it looks like), however still when working a knife while it's oiled you see some of the rusting coming out. Is there any tips/tricks on how to kill the rusting there? Below is a photo of how it looks like from the top.
It's quite nearly impossible to get a #71 in Europe, so I hope that the one I've received from Tennessee will server me well for a long time.
P.S. I apologise in advance if I've posted it in the wrong topic ;) Thanks!
https://ibb.co/xCZYSWs

So I've put it thru wd-40 bath for 30 minutes, then vinegar for 30 minutes, after wd-40 twice for an hour and finally applied Victorinox oil in between liners on a spring. What do you guys think about the Victorinox oil, is it any good?

So I've put it thru wd-40 bath for 30 minutes, then vinegar for 30 minutes, after wd-40 twice for an hour and finally applied Victorinox oil in between liners on a spring. What do you guys think about the Victorinox oil, is it any good?

I use it on my pivot joints all the time. Great stuff and food safe. Before that I relied on mineral oil, which is fine and inexpensive, but not as thick.

That bone 72 is really nice!

Thanks Jake, I'm enjoying it as well.

Holy mother load! Love those 72’s! The Talon is very nice too. They’re all great pieces and you have an instant collection!

You're right! Before yesterday I didn't have any 72s, 73s, 48s, or a 92. Now I've got them covered haha.

Very nice! I dig those 48s! That pattern is one of a handful that I haven’t had the opportunity to check out yet.

Thanks Dylan! I hadn't either and I am really liking them. Carrying the African Blackwood today that I believe was a @knifeswapper SFO. They are beauties.

OKAY - I know I should know this but my mind isn't what it used to be since my big jaw swap.

I have this #73 Scout Trapper with Ebony covers done as an SFO for Cumberland Knife Works (CKW) by GEC in 2007 with serial number 09. The key here is Ebony covers. I checked GEC's Production Date Charts and see no mention of an SFO for CKW let alone any knife with Ebony covers for 2006, 2007, 2008.

cJy77qQ.jpg

Does anyone know when GEC first used Ebony for covers on a regular basis? I'm kinda hoping Jeff @black mamba might have an idea or just flat out know.

Last edited:
Back