Lets talk GEC!

cJy77qQ.jpg
I don't know much about it, but I do know that it's a good looking knife. ;):thumbsup:

OKAY - I know I should know this but my mind isn't what it used to be since my big jaw swap.

I have this #73 Scout Trapper with Ebony covers done as an SFO for Cumberland Knife Works (CKW) by GEC in 2007 with serial number 09. The key here is Ebony covers. I checked GEC's Production Date Charts and see no mention of an SFO for CKW let alone any knife with Ebony covers for 2006, 2007, 2008.

cJy77qQ.jpg

Does anyone know when GEC first used Ebony for covers on a regular basis? I'm kinda hoping Jeff @black mamba might have an idea or just flat out know.

https://www.collectorknives.net/pos...e-bad-the-ugly-todays-american-pocket-knives/

Sounds like with those early days, gec had a lot going on. Based on this read, im not so sure if they knew what all they were sending out the door.

I just can’t fathom folks not liking a 2” wharnecliffe, pack neatly with 2 more blades. It’s called a whittler, but that’s just a pattern. Folks bought up the little rattler, and this is 3 times the knife in twice the space.

I hope folks don’t limit themselves just because it’s called a Whittler.
See, I actually thought the Little Rattlers hung around for a bit. Longer than usual. They still went in the end though, that is all that matters.

I think Jiki Jiki brought up the differences he noticed between the #62 Pocket Carver, and the #38 English Whittler. The idea being that for two blades of essentially the same stock thickness (I haven't confirmed this, yet), the #38 seems to slice through wood better. It's a wider blade, so a flat grind produces a smaller included angle to the blade.

I got excited about that, so I figured I'd do some math and see what it shows. For this analysis I'm assuming that the primary grind terminates leaving the edge portion of the blade at the thickness of 1/2 a dime's thickness. After the primary grind, a bevel is put on the knife blades at 20 degrees in both cases.

d6xHoOx.jpg

Here you can see a proportional view of 2 theoretical GEC wharncliff blades, each are 1/8" stock thickness. The Green blade represents the 9/16's width of the #38 English whittler. The orange represents my estimated 3/8" blade width of the #62 pocket carver.

The results?

At the bevel break point for the orange (#62) blade, the difference in total blade thickness is 0.005", which doesn't seem like very much, but it's a 12% reduction in thickness.

As the blade cuts deeper into the material, the thickness increases faster with the #62, so the cutting resistance goes up rapidly.

I think Jiki Jiki brought up the differences he noticed between the #62 Pocket Carver, and the #38 English Whittler. The idea being that for two blades of essentially the same stock thickness (I haven't confirmed this, yet), the #38 seems to slice through wood better. It's a wider blade, so a flat grind produces a smaller included angle to the blade.

I got excited about that, so I figured I'd do some math and see what it shows. For this analysis I'm assuming that the primary grind terminates leaving the edge portion of the blade at the thickness of 1/2 a dime's thickness. After the primary grind, a bevel is put on the knife blades at 20 degrees in both cases.

d6xHoOx.jpg

Here you can see a proportional view of 2 theoretical GEC wharncliff blades, each are 1/8" stock thickness. The Green blade represents the 9/16's width of the #38 English whittler. The orange represents my estimated 3/8" blade width of the #62 pocket carver.

The results?

At the bevel break point for the orange (#62) blade, the difference in total blade thickness is 0.005", which doesn't seem like very much, but it's a 12% reduction in thickness.

As the blade cuts deeper into the material, the thickness increases faster with the #62, so the cutting resistance goes up rapidly.
Told ya.:D

I posted this in my Coke Bottle thread already but I figured it would be neat to share here as well. I wanted to show off my progress so far on my #97 collection. I know this pattern isn't everyone's cup of tea but it captured my interest and it's been fun hunting down all the different variants that were produced.

I was just able to obtain one of the two final "general run" variants that I still needed and I am still hunting for a few of the "special" ones that were not made for general release. The one that I still require from the general run (the last of 14) is the AMKCA club knife - my chances of finding one are likely very slim but that is all part of the fun, yes? There are also a few that were made in small groups that were either offered in the store, rendezvous, or just simply parts knives that I am still on the look out for as well.

lJlqrCP.jpg

I posted this in my Coke Bottle thread already but I figured it would be neat to share here as well. I wanted to show off my progress so far on my #97 collection. I know this pattern isn't everyone's cup of tea but it captured my interest and it's been fun hunting down all the different variants that were produced.

I was just able to obtain one of the two final "general run" variants that I still needed and I am still hunting for a few of the "special" ones that were not made for general release. The one that I still require from the general run (the last of 14) is the AMKCA club knife - my chances of finding one are likely very slim but that is all part of the fun, yes? There are also a few that were made in small groups that were either offered in the store, rendezvous, or just simply parts knives that I am still on the look out for as well.

lJlqrCP.jpg
Great looking collection Dylan. Glad to see that you got a nice Jigged Brazilian Cherry!;):thumbsup:
Todd

I've been looking at gec..they are really nice. I was wondering..how do I get a new one? The website and blog is not very clear. I seen new ones came out on the blog but no info on where to sign up for one.

lJlqrCP.jpg

I'm still on the fence on this pattern but I'm warming up to it seeing all the variations together like this. Was the red one with the guitar shield an SFO?

Back