Lets talk GEC!

I've been looking at gec..they are really nice. I was wondering..how do I get a new one? The website and blog is not very clear. I seen new ones came out on the blog but no info on where to sign up for one.

GEC finishes a new pattern in a few cover options every so often, and those are trickled out to the distributors as they are finished. Then the distributor posts them up online and folks scramble to furiously buy one. The stock is usually depleted in minutes, or even seconds due to the popularity of the brand. So, in short, you’re going to have to do some leg work and get ahead of the posting if you want to snag one new off the shelf.

I posted this in my Coke Bottle thread already but I figured it would be neat to share here as well. I wanted to show off my progress so far on my #97 collection. I know this pattern isn't everyone's cup of tea but it captured my interest and it's been fun hunting down all the different variants that were produced.

I was just able to obtain one of the two final "general run" variants that I still needed and I am still hunting for a few of the "special" ones that were not made for general release. The one that I still require from the general run (the last of 14) is the AMKCA club knife - my chances of finding one are likely very slim but that is all part of the fun, yes? There are also a few that were made in small groups that were either offered in the store, rendezvous, or just simply parts knives that I am still on the look out for as well.

lJlqrCP.jpg
Very cool, Dylan!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've been kind of waiting for your 97s to come around again so I could post this ad from my youth. :rolleyes:;)
thingsgobetterwithcoke.jpg
- GT

Now that GT mentions it- it’s odd that they didn’t call it a “bottle” pattern. I’m surprised Coca-Cola doesn’t take umbrage with its usage. Or for that matter the proximity of the advent of the pattern with the advent of Coca-Cola...
Un oh... I’m spiraling...

Now that GT mentions it- it’s odd that they didn’t call it a “bottle” pattern. I’m surprised Coca-Cola doesn’t take umbrage with its usage. Or for that matter the proximity of the advent of the pattern with the advent of Coca-Cola...
Un oh... I’m spiraling...

I’m not sure with whom exactly The Coca-Cola Company should be taking umbrage. GEC doesn’t advertise the knife using the term “coke bottle.” I don’t know whether or not any other manufacturers have.

On any of the past forum knives from gec, were there any button/pins that came with them?

I can only answer with regards to the three GEC-made forum knives that I have (since 2016) - and that would be a no. I'm not sure if we've had buttons included in the past, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Great looking collection Dylan. Glad to see that you got a nice Jigged Brazilian Cherry!;):thumbsup:
Todd

Thank you, my friend. That Jigged Cherry one was a kind gift from @sitflyer. The Jigged Bone with Beaver shield took a lot of hunting but I got a very satisfying example in the end.

I'm still on the fence on this pattern but I'm warming up to it seeing all the variations together like this. Was the red one with the guitar shield an SFO?

That red one is a SFA (Special Factory Assembly). Only 22 pieces made - Tidioute trim, Coffeehouse Acrylic, Guitar Shield, Tango etch. I believe the SFAs are sold at the GEC store or rendezvous only but I could be mistaken on that.

Very cool, Dylan!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've been kind of waiting for your 97s to come around again so I could post this ad from my youth. :rolleyes:;)
View attachment 1549574
- GT

Thank you, GT! I love it!

Amazing collection. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, John.

I’m not sure with whom exactly The Coca-Cola Company should be taking umbrage. GEC doesn’t advertise the knife using the term “coke bottle.” I don’t know whether or not any other manufacturers have.

Hmmm, it's an interesting thought. Despite the large swell center hunters being marketed far and wide on the secondary market as "Coke Bottle" knives, I am not sure if any of the manufacturers, past or present, ever referred to it or marketed it as such. It's a term that was and is largely applied and used by collectors, I think.

There was some interesting discussion in another thread earlier regarding blade cant on the 93 Lambsfoot and how different people viewed that in terms of both aesthetic beauty and usability. I had a similar thought a while back when I was comparing my 93 with my 47, both knives which at one point or another have occupied my pocket for some time.

These two knives have a similar handle profile and similar overall length, but there is some difference when looking at them side by side and how the blade is situated in the open position.

1COcBoe.jpg

FWaD4lD.jpg

I have very quickly taken a strong liking to my 47 Viper, and I think part of that may be in the point being slightly more natural for work in (my) hand, without having to adjust the holding position to account for the higher point of the LF.

Just an observation of two incredible knives that I fortunately have the pleasure of owning and using. :thumbsup:

There was some interesting discussion in another thread earlier regarding blade cant on the 93 Lambsfoot and how different people viewed that in terms of both aesthetic beauty and usability. I had a similar thought a while back when I was comparing my 93 with my 47, both knives which at one point or another have occupied my pocket for some time.

These two knives have a similar handle profile and similar overall length, but there is some difference when looking at them side by side and how the blade is situated in the open position.

1COcBoe.jpg

FWaD4lD.jpg

I have very quickly taken a strong liking to my 47 Viper, and I think part of that may be in the point being slightly more natural for work in (my) hand, without having to adjust the holding position to account for the higher point of the LF.

Just an observation of two incredible knives that I fortunately have the pleasure of owning and using. :thumbsup:

Would be interesting too to see how the 93 Rams Foot compares.

The 2019 GEC Forum Knife (#863119) came with a pin. You can almost make it out in this abysmal photo! As I recall, there was some debate as to whether or not one should be included, as it would add a little to the cost.

View attachment 1549817

It appears that I misspoke earlier. I did not remember that we had buttons with our 2019 knife and I couldn't find any in my button jar - turns out I had left it in the tube.

There are a heap of picture threads that you regularly post photos of these same knives in. Still don’t understand why you think your knives are so special that you need to clutter up this thread with photo after photo of them.

1COcBoe.jpg

FWaD4lD.jpg

After reading John's post in the other thread, I decided to prep dinner (fajita bowls) with my 93LF. I do not have the same experience with the lack of the canted blade. Everyone is different and this one is spot on for me.
HcXhWB5.jpg

I might have to prep dinner tomorrow with the Viper.;)

Last edited:
The 2019 GEC Forum Knife (#863119) came with a pin. You can almost make it out in this abysmal photo! As I recall, there was some debate as to whether or not one should be included, as it would add a little to the cost.

View attachment 1549817

It appears that I misspoke earlier. I did not remember that we had buttons with our 2019 knife and I couldn't find any in my button jar - turns out I had left it in the tube.

Thanks guys. I had noticed other sfos had and thought ours should too but had never heard anything of it.

Back