Lets talk GEC!

Ok......just from a little looking around, GEC's are hard to come by. Every store I check is out of stock and used ones sell faster than hotcakes....love these knifes...just need to keep on my toes

Ok......just from a little looking around, GEC's are hard to come by. Every store I check is out of stock and used ones sell faster than hotcakes....love these knifes...just need to keep on my toes
Yup, you got it. I’ve been very lucky to get 14 of them at good prices, but the game has changed since Covid. It’s harder to get one at all, and harder still to get one at a “fair price”. My best advice is to love the one you have and be pleasantly surprised when you can get another.

I don’t know, I can’t recall not be able to get a GEC that I made an effort on. There’s been a few I thought about but couldn’t make up my mind on until it was too late, and I think there was a Northwoods I tried for for but got cart snatched but that’s it. I’ve even managed to get from dealer days after a drop when a few more trickle in and they pop up on their site. I even accidentally ended up with two of the 85 lifters recently too. There are a few dealers that let you in on a list for when they come in, others give heads up emails before they go up. I hear they come up on the exchange for retail prices all the time too.

Yes GECs are hard to buy.

Anyway this is a knife discussion thread and with that guidance what is your best GEC slicer? I have been carrying this 85 all weekend and the ballon spear gives that extra bit of belly to make it a very good slicer. Then there is something about the geometry of the mustang and the drop point to make it slice much better than one would expect just looking at it. Then I would be remiss if I didn't include the muskrat clip on the 82, so long and thin. 3 different knives, 3 different blades yet they all do such a wonderful job.
1iZJwZI.jpg

And GECs are still hard to buy. ;)

Yes GECs are hard to buy.

Anyway this is a knife discussion thread and with that guidance what is your best GEC slicer? I have been carrying this 85 all weekend and the ballon spear gives that extra bit of belly to make it a very good slicer. Then there is something about the geometry of the mustang and the drop point to make it slice much better than one would expect just looking at it. Then I would be remiss if I didn't include the muskrat clip on the 82, so long and thin. 3 different knives, 3 different blades yet they all do such a wonderful job.
1iZJwZI.jpg

And GECs are still hard to buy. ;)
I agree with the 85 being a great slicer, and add the 97 is another GEC that slices great.Screenshot_20210516-152535_Gallery.jpgThere are occasions when buying a GEC is easier than others 😉👍

That knife looks like a superior vintage knife!! It ages well!!
Thank you my friend. I see photos of old vintage knives posted and i am in awe of them, and wish i had one. My wish has been granted, have had this for about 22 months now and with carry and use it has aged very well and has the vintage knife look too it. Feels great in the hand, and still have not had to take it to a stone, only had to strop and is still so sharp. Hope you are well, and hope your upcoming procedure goes well. 🤝

Man, I haven’t personally ran into a gec that didn’t slice well. Because of that I generally prefer carrying a clip point as it lends itself handy for my day to day. A fine tip comes in handy getting to tight places and I prefer the belly vs a wharncliffe or even lambsfoot.
All that said, as cudgee cudgee mentioned, those lambs sure slice well. Last weekend I took mine to the whetstone and it ran through a couple oranges with ease. A bullnose won’t let a person down either. As far as dollar for dollar, the 71 is darn hard to beat.

Back