Lets talk GEC!

vJDEqnB.png

I don't know, but I'm going to guess it has something to do with the pin. šŸ¤”

Yes, room is needed to sand and polish the pins without obliterating the engraving....

hope the next run will be in metric.

What is this 'metric' you speak of? šŸ¤£

According to Wiki, US is one of the three countries in the world without the metric system as a standard...Myanmar, Liberia, and US. šŸ˜†

I just built my deck in my back yard and was trying to fit it 'within' three sided boundary, in a trapezoid shape šŸ¤® Talk about a lot of adding in my head using fractions...this isn't my bread and butter so I had quite some time getting used to...You know how the saying goes...measure twice cut once...it turned into measure, add up fractions, measure again, double check my math in my head, write it down to confirm, measure again, check my math one last time before cutting..

Makes sense to me. You canā€™t put a stamp too close to where you will be peining and grinding a pin.

i don't think that's the reason... that doesnt make sense to me.
if you hit the bolster with or without the mark, what should be the difference?

but who i am....

watch that video from minute 1:35
Before Peening the Bolster Pin grinding/ sanding down the pin (min. 1:35)

i don't think that's the reason... that doesnt make sense to me.
if you hit the bolster with or without the mark, what should be the difference?

but who i am....

watch that video from minute 1:35
Before Peening the Bolster Pin grinding/ sanding down the pin (min. 1:35)

I think the issue would be the process he does at 10 minutes into the video. When heā€™s grinding those pins down on the belt sander, if he is also hitting the bolster stamp it would wear it down and could make it look distorted.

I could be wrong, though. Iā€™m speculating, just based on some knives Iā€™ve worked on in my garage. Maybe a more experienced knife maker will chime in on the subject.

I seem to remember a similar issue on knives with the more intricately engraved shields. They canā€™t sand/buff them as much, if I remember right.

Its a fair point - if they need place it down to avoid the bolster pin, why donā€™t they need to place it up to avoid the transition at the other end of the bolster?

I smell a rat šŸ˜¼

Its a fair point - if they need place it down to avoid the bolster pin, why donā€™t they need to place it up to avoid the transition at the other end of the bolster?

I smell a rat šŸ˜¼
Good point. Thereā€™s a strong possibility whoever designed the knife simply thought thatā€™s where it should go.

I smell a rat šŸ˜¼
I don't see the correlation. They are literally poking a hole through the bolster.

What a year GEC is having. The angus jack is right up there with the English whittlers IMO. Mix in the 85 cap lifters, TC barlows, 73sā€¦ My wallet needs a break haha. Now we have the 86 barlows coming. I might need to find a new hiding spot. Under my sink is getting pretty full šŸ˜‚

LOL, thatā€™s where I keep my stash too!
It seems we share more in common than just our first name. Funny/scary thing happened yesterday. My wife ā€œorganizedā€ under my sinkā€¦. Found my mess of tubes. ā€œSome of those tubes feel a bit heavier than the othersā€ šŸ¤Ŗ

It seems we share more in common than just our first name. Funny/scary thing happened yesterday. My wife ā€œorganizedā€ under my sinkā€¦. Found my mess of tubes. ā€œSome of those tubes feel a bit heavier than the othersā€ šŸ¤Ŗ
I actually laughed out loud at your reply! I bet thereā€™s more of us out there than would care to admit!

What a year GEC is having. The angus jack is right up there with the English whittlers IMO. Mix in the 85 cap lifters, TC barlows, 73sā€¦ My wallet needs a break haha. Now we have the 86 barlows coming. I might need to find a new hiding spot. Under my sink is getting pretty full šŸ˜‚

LOL, thatā€™s where I keep my stash too!
Oh my god, the horror! What if your pipes leak? Hopefully youā€™ve taken the appropriate GEC knife storage precautions of sealing them in a tube of mineral oil, which is then placed in a bag of silica packs and vacuum sealed, then double freezer bagged and locked in a fire and water proof safe!

I strongly suggest moving them to an area of the house with no water pipesā€¦ that will allow you to eliminate one of the aforementioned freezer bags!

;)šŸ¤£

Storing GEC knives under the sink is pretty irresponsible and reckless.

here is a tip, first dig a series of long trenches in the backyard, about 10-12 inches deep, maybe 40-50 feet long.

get some 2 inch pvc pipe as long as your trench, fill pipe with GEC knives in the tubes, cap and seal, then bury them in the trenches.
This should all be done around midnight on a new moon.

Back