Lets talk GEC!

Yes. I'm one of those nuts that likes patina on my blades and not my covers. I'm just weird that way.

the nice part of the micarta is that you can liven it up with something as convenient as a high grit sandpaper
The bad part of micarta is that it absorbes dirt and moisture. Doesn’t go deep but it still needs to be cleaned occasionally especially if it’s animal fats and blood. The tighter the weave, the less prone to this problem as the resins soak in more thoroughly to fabrics like linen (as opposed to burlap or denim) during the manufacturing process.

Markeologist Markeologist - Wood discolors too with age from oils in the hand and other things it encounters. Here is an example - GEC #93 Rams Foot with Cocobolo Wood covers. Pic 1 when I got it and Pic 2 after carrying and using it regularly.

View attachment 1648414
View attachment 1648415
Absolutely wood absorbs oils as does bone. I just tend to think folks who buy micarta, especially with stainless blades, think it is a “ride it hard, put away wet” material. Folks tend not to realize how much gunk can get into micarta but take a toothbrush to it with a little soapy water and see how much crap you can work loose.

Absolutely wood absorbs oils as does bone. I just tend to think folks who buy micarta, especially with stainless blades, think it is a “ride it hard, put away wet” material. Folks tend not to realize how much gunk can get into micarta but take a toothbrush to it with a little soapy water and see how much crap you can work loose.
Many woods darken quickly from oils, gunk, UV, etc... Cocobolo is notorious as well as a few others. Some not so much. I have a Bocote I've put through everything and it still looks almost like when I got it. Wood can generally be renewed for the most part too though. I tend to think most stag, ivory, and bone many times improves in appearance from handling and the elements. Just personal preference I guess.

Sharpening Choils?
I noticed on my 828318 Dixie Stockman today, that the main blade lacked one.
So, I made one with my round jewelers file.
I also noticed the Choils on both secondaries had a sharp "v" shaped Choil.
View attachment 1648697
I know a sharp angle like at the bottom of a "v" is a stress raiser, which could lead to a broken blade.
So, being the _(term of your choice)_ I am, I fixed that with the same round diamond jewelers file.
View attachment 1648699
View attachment 1648700
My 852211 Harness Jack has a proper Choil.
View attachment 1648701

Is it "normal" for GEC to use no sharpening Choil, a "v" shape Choil, or a "u" shape Choil, and one of my knives or blade(s) are/were a fluke?

I also touched up the edges on both knives, matching the factory angle, which on my knives is 10 DPS, using my guided rod sharpener, that has a 10 DPS slot. (A strong magnet holds the blade/ knife in position; No daRn clamp to get in the way. 😋
View attachment 1648702
Sorry for the long post.

I know a sharp angle like at the bottom of a "v" is a stress raiser, which could lead to a broken blade.
You’re correct, but only in an academic way. It would be unexpected that you’d be applying the forces necessary to see a failure at the choil. Off the top of my head, I’d guess your joint pin would sheer long before that happened.

Markeologist Markeologist - Wood discolors too with age from oils in the hand and other things it encounters. Here is an example - GEC #93 Rams Foot with Cocobolo Wood covers. Pic 1 when I got it and Pic 2 after carrying and using it regularly.

View attachment 1648414
View attachment 1648415
Yup. With usage and exposure to UV-light, oxygen etc. wood will most definitely change color overtime. Your cocobolo is a perfect example - mine is not as dark yet but is on its way.
243399260_383545936744591_6385860744596316396_n.jpg

Knife content.
zvpPFA5.jpeg
GASP! That's gorgeous! When I saw this one I felt like Fred Sanford.... "It's the big one!" :D

grdL7Q.jpg

It could just be me but, in my experience, GEC micarta has not been as durable as other covers. Is that your thinking as well or do you not care for the micarta aesthetics?

Yes. I'm one of those nuts that likes patina on my blades and not my covers. I'm just weird that way.

Though I prefer natural materials (i.e. bone, wood, horn, antler) on my slipjoints, I do not dislike micarta. In fact, it is a go-to material on my fixed blades if I am wanting a no-nonsense, bulletproof, and utilitarian material for my handles. Micarta darkens and smooths pretty quickly with use - the oils and moisture from hands and environment will discolor it up in a quick hurry. That said, it can clean up really easily with a brush and some soapy water - it usually isn't too difficult to get it new looking again if that is your aim.

In terms of durability though, it's a hard one to beat. In most cases, it will be more durable than wood and other natural materials. It also won't react to environmental changes like natural materials will (i.e. swelling, contracting, cracking, etc.).

Last edited:
Back