Lets talk GEC!

Posting a picture of Oily Creek Bone for reference.

NF #77, keyhole shield, satin sheepfoot, long pull, end cap, very short run, Oily Creek.

DSC_1050.jpg

I wish there was more information so I know which one to go after... what type of shields, pulls, bolsters...

Any of the Blade Forum approved dealers want to provide some details about your SFO? I'm particularly interested in the DLT and CK versions.

On a side note, while I was thinking about knife configurations, has GEC ever done 2 different grinds on one knife? It seems like it would be a beneficial option for 2 full sized blades. For example, a scandi sabre spear and regular clip...

We're finishing up the details but I can tell you for sure it will have the oak leaf shield we've used on our last SFOs.

We're finishing up the details but I can tell you for sure it will have the oak leaf shield we've used on our last SFOs.

That's great news! Thanks for letting us know. I really like the 54 pattern and love the shield you use. I sure am hoping to get a couple of your guys sfo.

Thanks Eric,

If possible, if you could let us know the color of the Appaloosa bone that would be great.

I'm a weak man. I'm in on the jigged wood. It sounds interesting. And I've wanted a 54 for a long time.

Is there any news on possible 440C runs this year? I'd really like to see some 440C beer scouts this year, preferably with clip or spear blade this time around. I'm starting to get tired of all the carbon steel sheepsfoots (sheepsfeet?)?

Last edited:
I'm a weak man. I'm in on the jigged wood. It sounds interesting. And I've wanted a 54 for a long time.

Is there any news on possible 440C runs this year? I'd really like to see some 440C beer scouts this year, preferably with clip or spear blade this time around. I'm starting to get tired of all the carbon steel sheepsfoots (sheepsfeet?)?

Yep. I would definitely buy a Beer Scout if it were stainless. :thumbup:

I think that GEC gets too caught up in using carbon steel. I love carbon steel, and often prefer it. But it doesn't mean that I always want carbon steel. Once summer rolls around, and the weather gets hot and humid, I'd rather have stainless in my pocket. Especially if I'm out camping for a week. And GEC has an excellent 440C heat treatment, so it's not like I'm compromising on performance. I'm probably upgrading in performance.

I've gone back and forth on the #54 before (some of them sat on dealers shelves for a while last time, affording a somewhat rare opportunity to consider whether or not to purchase a certain GEC). It's a good looking knife, I just worry about the size of the thing. I am a little disappointed not to Ebony on this run, I thought that one looked particularly nice on the previous run. I'll probably lean towards the cougar clawed bone or KSF's muslin Micarta SFO.

I'm pretty sure the wood jigged will have a beaver shield. It's a bit hard to pick when I don't know what type of wood they will be using. Wenge would be nice...

Barrett, I have an older 54 in brimstone bone with 3 full size blades, a clip, pen and spey. It is big and heavy. A solid knife. I love the big clip and have even considered modifying the other blades. One thing to consider with a larger knife is you can pretty much eliminate the need for multiple carries. Even with its size it definitely has GEC's knack for a top notch pocket knife. It's a keeper.

I think that GEC gets too caught up in using carbon steel. I love carbon steel, and often prefer it. But it doesn't mean that I always want carbon steel. Once summer rolls around, and the weather gets hot and humid, I'd rather have stainless in my pocket. Especially if I'm out camping for a week. And GEC has an excellent 440C heat treatment, so it's not like I'm compromising on performance. I'm probably upgrading in performance.

db5e770c3ddf214103ef2f0291a7561a.jpg

Yep. I would definitely buy a Beer Scout if it were stainless. :thumbup:

Although I really like 1095, I would like to see a little more stainless from GEC. I would also love to see a Beer Scout with a different main blade (clip, spear, maybe even a spey, which I like for slicing food like sausages, so it would make sense in a Beer Scout to me). Stainless would make sense in a Beer Scout, but if it were being made with a different blade, I'd want 1095, too.

:D :D

Barrett, I have an older 54 in brimstone bone with 3 full size blades, a clip, pen and spey. It is big and heavy. A solid knife. I love the big clip and have even considered modifying the other blades. One thing to consider with a larger knife is you can pretty much eliminate the need for multiple carries. Even with its size it definitely has GEC's knack for a top notch pocket knife. It's a keeper.

I would imagine that a three blade #54 would be pretty heavy! :eek:

I don't have a whole lot of use for the bottle opener, but it doesn't hurt and I like the screwdriver. I would be way more interested if they did them in spear (or clip) blades and 440c. I really like GEC Stainless. I should have gotten one of the clip point caplifters at the Rendezvous.

I agree. I think it's mostly a tradition thing. I certainly like 1095 a lot, mine almost never rust and perform well, but I like 440c from GEC also.

Posted using TapaTalk

videorecipes Thank you, appreciate that! It's a sad day if we can't poke fun at a knife or knife pattern we find outlandish, think French Kate..:D:eek:

Thanks, Will
Now you've gone too far, sir!! Pistols at dawn; I'll defend to the death that lady's honor! :D

Will, WOW how a thread can change course. My friend I read your post, saw the light hearted emojis and didn't give it a second thought, tongue in cheek and I saw nothing offensive what so ever.

Now know this, if you receive the calf pen Jack as a gift, it didn't come from me:D:D:D
I agree completely with Paul on this! :thumbup: I couldn't believe how quickly the tone of the discussion changed; that Will became a target was incomprehensible to me. Will certainly has his opinions, and I don't agree with all of them, but I respect him so much for his consistency: if you read his posts for very long, you know exactly where he stands on a large number of issues. :thumbup:

I will stock any knife GEC makes available to me; but as for my take on the "Calf Pen" - SHE SOUNDS HIDEOUS ;) OK, OK, I only say that so I don't get condemned as a worshiper of positivism (or something like that).
Just kidding - It is the mix that makes this place worth perusing daily....
Mike, I was a few days behind on this thread, and had just run into the "turn on Will" part and was settling in for another of the thankfully rare, irrational, but nonetheless weirdly entertaining free-for-alls when your post totally derailed my thought processes as I spent at least 5 MINUTES trying to figure out where "She sounds hideous" came from! When I finally got it, I laughed for another couple of minutes! :D:thumbup::D

Last April 1st they announced the #14 boys knife. I dont think they joke about their products.
I went on record a year ago as being completely certain that the #14 announcement was an April Fool's prank! That certainly cemented my reputation as a knowledgeable expert with my finger on the pulse of GEC. :eek::eek:

- GT

In regards to the 48 run, anyone have any idea as to the what the Northfield jigged bone will be on the single blades? As to the 54 run, this is the first I have heard of oily creek bone. I looked around a bit. It kinda looks like the same coloration as the cougar claw 74 run. I notice that they are doing some cougar claw 54s too. Wonder if its the same dying process???

Oily creek bone is nice looking stuff. Although the bone on the oily creek bone 14's was very uneven in thickness. I don't know why, but I hope it doesnt happen on the 54s.

Back