Lets talk GEC!

Hey guys.
I finally got my first GEC
It's a maroon micarta Beer scout.
I really love this knife.
In the hole where the bail goes it is really scratched up, almost appears to be dented. Only on one side though. I purchased it BNiT from a reputable dealer.
Is this normal ?

Thanks
Andy
Congrats on your first GEC Andy .

Harry

Sometimes I want to talk about a new pattern I spy on Great Eastern's site and dont feel it needs its own thread. I have also noted general questions about one knife asked in other threads that go unnoticed. This is an effort to give us a place to talk about these things. For instance:

Today I went over to GEC's site and saw a finished picture of the new #79 workhorse single spring knife.

I really like the looks of this one but I have a general question. I love that they are starting to use the coping blade as a secondary but so far its been only paired with a spear blade but, why no clip? Is their a historical connection to the pairing of coping with spear? Anyone else like this change? I wouldnt even mind seeing a little wharnie as a secondary either. At any rate I am just glad to see them stepping out of the box but the human nature in me cant keep from asking questions and dreaming ahead.

Bring on your random GEC pics, trivia, questions or whatever :)

I have a small collection of 9 GEC Knives and 2 Case knives. Of the 9 GEC knives, 7 have at least 1 handle pin that is countersunk enough to catch dirt. They are also set deep enough to prohibit polishing the top of the pin. My 2 old case knives from the 70’s do not have this problem.
Is it done to save $ during manufacture? Is it a quality control problem? The knives are of very high quality. Was this practice common in the old days? I have not noticed any countersinking of pins on Case knives.

I really can't answer your questions about whether the sunken pins were common in the older days or not but I may have a tip to offer that could help. I have found that a q-tip with a little polishing compound of your choice does a pretty good job of polishing the sunken pins. Just dab the tip of the q-tip in the compound and twist it on top of the pin. Works pretty good for me.
Take care,
Rick

They think they're cute.

Any idea what the birch forest might mean? "Something is coming..."

Also, I'm all about the Churchill. It might be my first #35 if they don't make a camp/scout.

The Churchill is going to be problematic for me . Clip and sheepsfoot is great combo. 2017 is looking to be a stellar year

There are some initials carved into one of the trees.
15bzMCp.jpg

I'm not a tree expert but that does not look like Burch to me. That's a picture of Aspen trees. North we call them Popple.

Been told the 66nf hemlock is going to have crest shield . All my whining about them using the same shields over and over has stopped . My wallet is whining now

Woah! I'm liking this one a LOT. Favorite blade combo!! Hope they use some of the plain classic shields that they're using on this run of 66s.

35-NORTHFIELD-768x594.jpg

Been told the 66nf hemlock is going to have crest shield . All my whining about them using the same shields over and over has stopped . My wallet is whining now

Nice! Hopefully it continues. I'm definitely loving it!

Back