Lets talk GEC!

I thought that was a rumor from the first time this pattern was introduced - that the plan was to (eventually) make a scout knife on this frame?

I'd be all over a 3-3/4'' GEC scout/camp knife! The #98's were great, but a little impractical for pocket carry.

If I'm not mistaken, the #35's name was "scout" before the forum knife was named "drover". Kinda led to a correlation.

A scout #35 with some of that cranberry jigging might blow my mind.

If I'm not mistaken, the #35's name was "scout" before the forum knife was named "drover". Kinda led to a correlation.

A scout #35 with some of that cranberry jigging might blow my mind.

You are correct - it started as the "Half Scout". Maybe that's why we all jumped on the idea of a full scout.....:D

That cranberry jigging would sure be a looker - and match my texas camp knife perfectly!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Another picture added to the "something is coming" link.

A moose... either a moose pattern or moose antler covers?

Maybe a Bullwinkle Moose added to the run of 66s? Probably not. They've also officially moved the first photo to the end of the hall again.

New 66 photos as well. Mike's Oily Creek Bone looks really good with the cloud shield, and the Northfields look fantastic. The Hemlock looks like it has some brown in it, and they have a federal shield!

Maybe a Bullwinkle Moose added to the run of 66s? Probably not. They've also officially moved the first photo to the end of the hall again.

New 66 photos as well. Mike's Oily Creek Bone looks really good with the cloud shield, and the Northfields look fantastic. The Hemlock looks like it has some brown in it, and they have a federal shield!

I shudder to think how many 66's I'm going to end up with from this run.

The oily creek bone is intriguing. It's not just a coloration, it's also got a distinctive shape. Does anyone know more about it?

Thank you very much for the great info Jake! I have a lot to learn, but not as much as I did before this.

This is probably a stupid question, but do you suppose the closed sheepsfoot on the Churchill is at such an angle to facilitate opening and to avoid the blade rub issue that the Drovers had?

Thanks again for the wealth of information. Here's hoping somebody current makes a Carpenter's Jack someday...the one you have pictured couldn't have a better size and blade configuration in my opinion.

You're very welcome. It's likely that Bill just likes to make sheepfoot blades that way. If it was a spey blade, the spine would be parallel to the handle--for example, that's how they're making the new 82. CSC did the same thing on the prototype of our forum knife. They changed it so that it was parallel after feedback on the forum. Maybe GEC will change it also (fingers crossed!). I'm looking forward to this pattern either way!

The oily creek bone is intriguing. It's not just a coloration, it's also got a distinctive shape. Does anyone know more about it?

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much smooth, but the photos posted today remind me a lot of the frontier bone that they've done in the past. I've not had anything in Oily Creek before, though, so maybe it's always like this? I like it.

I really wish GEC would use that oil sucker rod wood again on something. Here's hoping, anyway.

The new Churchill is gonna be pretty sweet I bet, but I'm guessing that we might not get the shield variety we've been seeing.

C'mon, GEC, just add another spring, a punch, caplifter and bail, and we'll be all set!
Just glue a Churchill and a drover together. Close enough!
I wonder who will be the first to commission this to be made by one of the modders on here.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty much smooth, but the photos posted today remind me a lot of the frontier bone that they've done in the past. I've not had anything in Oily Creek before, though, so maybe it's always like this? I like it.
The 14's in oily creek bone were very irregular- I had one and although it looked nice, the way the bone wasted away from top to bottom meant the handle was almost triangular in cross section. It wasn't appealing. The releases I have seen since have looked more even in thickness.

Agree that the Churchill covers don't move me at all, except for stag if it's well matched (seems hard to find lately for some reason) so my bank account will get a breather as well. I had anticipated a beautiful full run like the 66. Odd to see a run with no jigged bone.

The Churchill is really testing my resolve.
I'm not very impressed with the covers, but that could all change if they obstain from using the hot dog shield and throw something different on the ebony.

The yellow rose should be real nice, but I've never quite warmed up to the rose shield.

Is hemlock green bone not actually green?

I looked again, and I think I may have been wrong about the knife with the federal shield. Maybe that's the Blood Red jigged SFO? The jigging looked really similar to the picture earlier of the hemlock knives, but they look more red/brown than anything else...

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

I thought these were the same knives but maybe not?

Back