Lets talk GEC!

Ahhh, Gotcha. Do you think any other barlows will be produced in 2017? With 4 months left in the year?

Highly likely there will be a 77 barlow run. There's a thread about it with information...I think the thread is titled 77 barlow. As you have probably figured out, nothing regarding GEC's schedule is set in stone... until you have a knife in your mailbox.

Most reliable information is from the dealers, but it's fun to speculate.

If you see 85's available for reserve anywhere I recommend you give that pattern a try.

I could be wrong, but I believe the 15s that Mike mentioned are the BF SFO and Charlie's SFO knives. Those have all been wrapped up.
I hear from a reliable source there is a new #15 Northwoods being run after Charlie's SFOs(which is basically right now), its not the Broadway jack apparrently new and undisclosed.

Last edited:
I hear from a reliable source there is a new #15 Northwoods being run after Charlie's SFOs(which is basically right now), its not the Michigan jack apparrently new and undisclosed.

Huh, interesting. If it's on the 15 frame and not the Michigan Jack maybe it will have a different blade shape. I like the clip from the last two Northwoods.. the Hawthorne and Little Bay.

I hear from a reliable source there is a new #15 Northwoods being run after Charlie's SFOs(which is basically right now), its not the Michigan jack apparrently new and undisclosed.

It wouldn't be the Michigan Jack anyway, since those are on the #77 pattern :p

Highly likely there will be a 77 barlow run. There's a thread about it with information...I think the thread is titled 77 barlow. As you have probably figured out, nothing regarding GEC's schedule is set in stone... until you have a knife in your mailbox.

Most reliable information is from the dealers, but it's fun to speculate.

If you see 85's available for reserve anywhere I recommend you give that pattern a try.
Actually, I have found that the GEC Schedule has been pretty reliable. If it is on there, I have found it gets done. Thanks for the info.

A Northwoods clip point barlow on the 15 frame would make me go fairly nuts.

That's probably not it, I don't want to rev anybody's engines, lol, but man, wouldn't that be sweeet!

81s or 82s in just about any configuration, with 440C blades.
I don't know if it was a hint, but there was a welcome mat shown at the end of the hall with an #81 moose and an acorn shield.

Actually, I have found that the GEC Schedule has been pretty reliable. If it is on there, I have found it gets done. Thanks for the info.

I don't think he was saying that just because it is on the schedule doesn't mean they plan to make it. But runs get put off, other ones get inserted, etc. etc. I have seen runs on the schedule that later get 6 more runs in front of them before they actually make it to production.

Like the Progressive commercial - cbr1000 has been around and knows a thing or two because he has seen a thing or two.

I don't think he was saying that just because it is on the schedule doesn't mean they plan to make it. But runs get put off, other ones get inserted, etc. etc. I have seen runs on the schedule that later get 6 more runs in front of them before they actually make it to production.

Like the Progressive commercial - cbr1000 has been around and knows a thing or two because he has seen a thing or two.
That's Farmers, Mike.

I don't know if it was a hint, but there was a welcome mat shown at the end of the hall with an #81 moose and an acorn shield.

It would be weird if they didn't make a stainless run. @L.H.S questioned Bill Howard about stainless, and Bill gave a list of reasons they don't use it much, but for them to use an upcoming pattern with an acorn shield for their welcome mat... seems likely.

Right, I realize that. I have seen their disclaimer on their website that indicated that the schedule is subject to change and the order is not set in stone. What threw me is the knife in the mailbox part. I thought me meant that sometimes a knife on the schedule does not get done. Thanks for the info. I have not been around for years on here but my relentless research will give you a run for your buck. If one puts the time in, the learning curve is uuuuge! I had progressive once. I never liked them. Take care, Mike and thanks for the info from one of your loyal and highly repeated and recent customer.

I do not quite understand the configuration of the upcoming #81 run and I am curious if anyone here has any insight as to the reasoning behind it. I know the clip and the spear are two different blade types but having the two of them, both full sized, in the same frame seems rather redundant. It would have made better sense to do a spear or a clip and a sheepfoot or wharncliffe, in my opinion. (Blade with some belly coupled with straight edge)

So with that said, I am tip-toeing around this one and am not sure if I will bother scooping one up. If it had been a Stockman, I would have been all over it, but this just seems a little strange.

I do not quite understand the configuration of the upcoming #81 run and I am curious if anyone here has any insight as to the reasoning behind it. I know the clip and the spear are two different blade types but having the two of them, both full sized, in the same frame seems rather redundant. It would have made better sense to do a spear or a clip and a sheepfoot or wharncliffe, in my opinion. (Blade with some belly coupled with straight edge)

So with that said, I am tip-toeing around this one and am not sure if I will bother scooping one up. If it had been a Stockman, I would have been all over it, but this just seems a little strange.

Moose! Simple as that, it's just what they are. Some people love them, other people modify the spear to a sheepsfoot, lol.

I agree with your point, though. That's why I'm more excited about the #35 Churchill.

Can't complete your Nessmuk trio without a proper moose knife...
Trappers have also been quite popular in American history, despite utilizing two full sized blades.
Sometimes it's nice to have two big ones, but I agree, for regular, day to day use, I prefer the secondary to be a small pen or coping blade.

Last edited:
It would be weird if they didn't make a stainless run. @L.H.S questioned Bill Howard about stainless, and Bill gave a list of reasons they don't use it much, but for them to use an upcoming pattern with an acorn shield for their welcome mat... seems likely.

Yeah I have it from some reliable sources that stainless 81s just ain't gonna happen. Which is pretty irritating. That would have been the GEC Knife Of The Year.
They put it on the rug because a Northfield or Tidioute would have been too confusing to visitors, many of whom aren't knife people and just are touring the area.

Back