Lets talk GEC!

So what happens to all the leftover #25 blades, springs, and liners that didn't get used when some of the Ivory acrylic slabs didn't work out? Will the make parts knives (Factory Specials) with these pieces for next Rendevous?

I was just wondering the same thing, Travis. You have to imagine there are quite a few parts.

I'd expect some "factory special" #25's next year.

especially since i think only 49 of the acrylic made out. Maybe that is not including my "S" knife. Ha ha!

There are times when they probably tear down runs that simply don't work out. But most of the time they finish them out and sell them as edc's. If they are bad, they let employees buy them for personal use at a discount. The anomaly with the ivory acrylic was that by finishing they had developed gaps between the slab and liner. They will not be disassembling them; they will be selling them as "S" models.

There are times when they probably tear down runs that simply don't work out. But most of the time they finish them out and sell them as edc's. If they are bad, they let employees buy them for personal use at a discount. The anomaly with the ivory acrylic was that by finishing they had developed gaps between the slab and liner. They will not be disassembling them; they will be selling them as "S" models.
Yeah mine I got at the Rendezvous and it has 2 hairline cracks at the butt and some daylight between the liner and spring but, heck, it makes for a great edc and functions A+

I am slightly amused that this thread kind of has gone dead with GEC's production shifting to fixed blades.

I thought that GEC only used the Acorn shield for their stainless line, it appears they use it for their fixed blades as well?

pUk7sLi.jpg

I am slightly amused that this thread kind of has gone dead with GEC's production shifting to fixed blades.

I thought that GEC only used the Acorn shield for their stainless line, it appears they use it for their fixed blades as well?

pUk7sLi.jpg

Yup, fixed blades seem to be the exception.

No one gets excited about the fixed blades. It's a shame, because they're nice... but I find myself just waiting for their next folder run.

Yup, fixed blades seem to be the exception.

No one gets excited about the fixed blades. It's a shame, because they're nice... but I find myself just waiting for their next folder run.

I actually posed a question quite some time ago as to why folks didn't seem that excited about GEC fixed blades, I got a mixed bag of answers. I think the folders lend themselves to being far more collectible where their fixed blades look more like tools. I might pick one up one of these days just to try out, they do look like very functional blades, and if the grind is good, they may very well make for some good field knives.

Archery season starts up this weekend, I could use a new skinner. :D

I actually posed a question quite some time ago as to why folks didn't seem that excited about GEC fixed blades, I got a mixed bag of answers. I think the folders lend themselves to being far more collectible where their fixed blades look more like tools. I might pick one up one of these days just to try out, they do look like very functional blades, and if the grind is good, they may very well make for some good field knives.

Archery season starts up this weekend, I could use a new skinner. :D

That makes sense. For me, I like a fixed blade to fill my hand a little more than most of the GEC offerings. Also, I don't like that the style currently in production looks just like a couple of their folding patterns without the ability to fold...

I really want to like them, because I love GEC, but the fixed blades just don't do it for me.

I use my GEC Bird and Trout more than any other GEC that I have. It makes a great steak knife. It's not incredibly well balanced or ergonomic, so I wouldn't use it to dice a sack of potatoes. However, it's more than capable and a (subjectively) elegant knife at the dinner table.

I wouldn't mind seeing a santoku style kitchen knife with a blade around 5". That could be a lovely knife.

pUk7sLi.jpg
That's Cougar Claw? This is pushing my decision regarding the new #35 Churchill, and funds allowing, it might be nice to have a matching fixed blade. :)

Here I am talking fixed blades and I am only really hoping they wrap up the production quickly so they can get on to the 35s. :D

That would make for a cool pairing, r8shell r8shell . I wonder how that cougar clawed is in hand.

Here I am talking fixed blades and I am only really hoping they wrap up the production quickly so they can get on to the 35s. :D

That would make for a cool pairing, r8shell r8shell . I wonder how that cougar clawed is in hand.
I'd like to find out! The fixed blades have never been on my radar, but I like the looks of this one: H232 Canoe Pattern Hunter.
IMG_1085.jpg

pUk7sLi.jpg

Okay, I will help bring the thread back from the "dead". I'm a bit amused it's slowed down too, especially with GEC coming out with new products like... order your very own GEC floor mat (in a knife we won't make on this upcoming run)!

RUG.jpg

BLAINE.jpg

rug-info-1-768x501.jpg

Okay, I will help bring the thread back from the "dead". I'm a bit amused it's slowed down too, especially with GEC coming out with new products like... order your very own GEC floor mat (in a knife we won't make on this upcoming run)!

RUG.jpg

BLAINE.jpg

rug-info-1-768x501.jpg

The guy at the Rendezvous with the big beard was in Bill's ear saying he wants to buy one for his toy room. I think he might've influenced the decision to offer the mat for purchase.

(using TV sales pitch voice) and for only $17.00 more we will include this handy dandy flashlight... (using wrestling commentator voice) THE ILLUMINATOR!

FLASHLIGHT-AD-2-768x993.jpg

Playing around reviving the thread. On a more serious note, I'm glad GEC is doing some logo products. I like the rug, but nobody else at home would be super happy about it lol. If you're reading this GEC, how 'bout updating your hats and a coffee cup please :)

I am going to be the "Bah! Humbug!" voice in regards to some of this stuff. The flashlight excites me none at all and though the floor mat is pretty cool and would look terrific in my shop or man cave, when companies start branching out and diverting focus from the product that they are known for, bad things seem to happen...

Marketing is a good. Hats, mugs, shirts, patches, etc. All good things. Cheap flashlights and expensive floor mats? I am skeptical....

I like GEC for their knives, not their floor mats. (I am saying all of this in my head in my best imagined Scrooge voice)

I'd like to find out! The fixed blades have never been on my radar, but I like the looks of this one: H232 Canoe Pattern Hunter.
IMG_1085.jpg

I grabbed a couple of the canoe hunters from the last run but I haven't tried them out yet. As far as coon fingering and chicken eyeing, they are fantastic!

I think new GEC t-shirts are in order for sure, the Tidioute logo with the eagle and shield would be awesome!

If you're reading this GEC, how 'bout updating your hats and a coffee cup please :)

Yes, please. I have a couple of the current GEC caps, and they're not good. They are made in the US, which is great, but they're just not put together properly - irregular stitching, etc... Some updated, well-made swag would be awesome. I know I would be a sucker for it anyway.

Back