Lets talk GEC!

That is the standard Navy Knife Model 15S116 Stainless. They made 241 of the Burnt Orange Jig Bone in 2016. It is not a Rendezvous Special. Here it is.
15S116-Burnt-Orange-Jig-Bone-900x540.jpg

I did not mean that the "S" in 15S116 was for Rendezvous special designates "special"... it is a navy knife with the rope or sailor blade. I just added the fact that it is a rendezvous "special" and is different etc

That is the standard Navy Knife Model 15S116 Stainless. They made 241 of the Burnt Orange Jig Bone in 2016. It is not a Rendezvous Special. Here it is.
15S116-Burnt-Orange-Jig-Bone-900x540.jpg
Yep, that's what mine is. Not sure what rdave rdave has, but the same # could be on his with different covers. Actually any Navy or rope knife made in 2016 would have this pattern #. I think.

Help - OK, so guys, what do you think? I don't see it listed in the 2016 production totals...DSCN5002.JPG

These are listed in the 2016 production totals;
15S116EO BURNT ORANGE JIG BONE 6 PCS.
OLD BARN CHESTNUT WOOD 7 PCS.

Great knife! I'd say it's a rendezvous specific knife - not that I ever doubted you. I should have scooped one of those up. Such an under appreciated knife.
It is really nice - well constructed, good snap and fits in the hand well...very nice

Here's the tang stamp chart from GEC's site that explains what each number means in their pattern/model numbers:

EkZGd74.png

Obviously the "S" is not listed there, but given that it's the third "number" in the model number of that Navy Knife, I'd say that it is meant to denote the main blade shape. The model # for Charlie's Rope Knives also includes the S (15S115).

Help - OK, so guys, what do you think? I don't see it listed in the 2016 production totals...View attachment 768620

Several dealers had this version of the Navy knife available. My assumption is they bundled the totals with the bailed version 15S116 which is posted in the production totals. If you want to know 100% for sure you can call GEC. I bet they tell you they just added them to the regular run total. Who knows, it is odd they didn't list them separately because the other EO versions are listed.

I'm trying to recall exactly when this knife was available. If it was early this year another possibility is you will see them on the 2017 totals. For example, looking at the production totals for 2016 you will see models as far back as 2011 because they used leftover blades from that year.

Last edited:
I think btb01 is right and its the blade shape.

I have both a stainless 2016 and non-stainless 2015 version, and both have the S.

GEC Chris Tucker responded to my inquiry re; origins etc and here is what she wrote back;
"I believe that it was a very short run with left over parts and inspection probably forgot to write it down in the book, sorry."

So I would think this knife was in the same group as these 2;
15S116EO
BURNT ORANGE JIG BONE 6 PCS.
OLD BARN CHESTNUT WOOD 7 PCS.

There are at least a couple other knives with similar pattern # variations:

47 Harvester - 47P116

15 Ancient Barlow - 15C115

It seems almost certain that the "P" stands for pruner. In the case of the TC, I've always assumed that they just called it a coping main.

Back