Lets talk GEC!

There are at least a couple other knives with similar pattern # variations:

47 Harvester - 47P116

15 Ancient Barlow - 15C115

It seems almost certain that the "P" stands for pruner. In the case of the TC, I've always assumed that they just called it a coping main.

It might stand for Charlie.

You can tell we're in a GEC drought if a conversation about tang stamps on Navy Knives spans 3 pages.

Come onnnnnn update! Daddy needs some Churchill pictures!
LOL - but this is a special Navy knife!!! Churchill pics this week!

So I reserved one of the #78 Yankee Whittler's in peach seed. I haven't heard much talk about them. Just curious what others think of this pattern?

So I reserved one of the #78 Yankee Whittler's in peach seed. I haven't heard much talk about them. Just curious what others think of this pattern?

I, personally, like the looks of the pattern. It is similar enough to the 77, which I have been eager to check out, that I think it will give me a good feel for that particular look and size. I actually have two on reserve, a single blade in Ebony, and a 2 blade in Cocobolo. Though the cloud shield isn't my favorite, I still think it looks good on the Ebony. Not excited about the hotdog shield, but as the Cocobolo comes with the Tidioute trim and I expect it to be a nice user, I am not too terribly put off by it.

All in all, I am definitely looking forward to them. I think it is going to be fun seeing the progress on them. Lots of cover and shield variations to check out and experience.

Edited to add:

The one thing I am irritated by though, is the fact that a lot of the Jigged Bone choices have not been determined yet. I am quite partial to Red Bone of any sort in particular, and if that was being offered that would certainly sway me to either buy a third or change one of my other choices.

Last edited:
so the Yankee #78 is from Maher & Grosch? how does one pre-order them?

Last edited:
I do believe the #78 Yankee Whittler is only available via the Maher & Grosh SFO. It is the only 3-blade 78 out of the entire run and comes in Cocobolo and Pick Bone (not sure what that is) covers with the Federal shield. I am not sure what that vendor's process is, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can PM you with the info.

All of the other 78s are referred to as American Jacks and the Peach Seed cover that t.willy t.willy is referring to is going to be on a single blade variant with a Spear shield (sounds cool) through one of the other SFOs.

Of course, all of this info is via the Production Schedule on GEC's site and could be subject to change, I suppose.

I do believe the #78 Yankee Whittler is only available via the Maher & Grosh SFO. It is the only 3-blade 78 out of the entire run and comes in Cocobolo and Pick Bone (not sure what that is) covers with the Federal shield. I am not sure what that vendor's process is, but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can PM you with the info.

All of the other 78s are referred to as American Jacks and the Peach Seed cover that t.willy t.willy is referring to is going to be on a single blade variant with a Spear shield (sounds cool) through one of the other SFOs.

Of course, all of this info is via the Production Schedule on GEC's site and could be subject to change, I suppose.
T.Willy referred to a #78 Yankee Whittler. The other SFOs are American Jacks including the Peachseed at SMKW.

Last edited:
I, personally, like the looks of the pattern. It is similar enough to the 77, which I have been eager to check out, that I think it will give me a good feel for that particular look and size. I actually have two on reserve, a single blade in Ebony, and a 2 blade in Cocobolo. Though the cloud shield isn't my favorite, I still think it looks good on the Ebony. Not excited about the hotdog shield, but as the Cocobolo comes with the Tidioute trim and I expect it to be a nice user, I am not too terribly put off by it.

All in all, I am definitely looking forward to them. I think it is going to be fun seeing the progress on them. Lots of cover and shield variations to check out and experience.

Edited to add:

The one thing I am irritated by though, is the fact that a lot of the Jigged Bone choices have not been determined yet. I am quite partial to Red Bone of any sort in particular, and if that was being offered that would certainly sway me to either buy a third or change one of my other choices.

Would it make you feel any better about the shield to know that it's actually a Keyhole shield and not Cloud? Probably not, but just maybe... :)

Great Eastern Cutlery added a new photo to the album: 35 Pattern.
42 mins ·
#35 Tidioute Cutlery Churchill in Gabon Ebony

Shipping this Week

What?! I wonder why they haven't been updating their page... Looks fantastic, though. Clean, simple, and ready to work.

T.Willy referred to a #78 Yankee Jack Whittler. The other SFOs are American Jacks including the Peachseed at SMKW.

I suppose he can clarify what knife he was referring to. The Yankee Whittler doesn't come in the Peachseed that I am aware of.

Would it make you feel any better about the shield to know that it's actually a Keyhole shield and not Cloud? Probably not, but just maybe... :)

I am new enough at this that anything I say can be taken with copious amounts of salt. :D I am also new enough at this that shields, pretty, ugly, or nonexistent, don't have a huge factor in my purchasing decisions. Pattern first, blade shape/configuration second, cover material third, and everything else comes after. I also realized that I was envisioning the cloud shield wrong.... This is what you are referring to? Does GEC call it a cloud when it is actually a keyhole?

eHcsZyV.png

If that is the case, I think it looks fantastic. Thank you, I do feel better now. :)

Last edited:
Back