Lets talk GEC!

View attachment 829416

Wow! Is it that shade of red/pink or is that the late afternoon sun? Quite nice either way, just curious.

Peanutsxx,

The photo you were referring to was taken without direct sunlight. This photo was taken with direct morning light, and I think shows the actual look of the knife most accurately. The Appaloosa Bone is hard to photograph and looks different depending on the light. But it does have a lot of depth, layers, and multiple colors with a bit of translucence.

Leslie, you have a real keeper there. Beautiful!!!

Thanks Peanutxx and Red Sparrow. I usually don’t fare so well when I don’t get to pick the knife myself, but it worked out this time. Even when I get to pick, I am sometimes not quick enough to grab the best ones. Red Sparrow, you snagged the best Ironwood 78. How did you do it?

Reactions: HWF
It was just luck Leslie. Know what you mean about not faring well when you don't get to pick. Sight unseen purchasing is not my favorite method but... without a doubt it worked very well for you this time around. Congrats again on the exceptional Appaloosa.

Generally speaking the walk and talk is about the same, stout pull on the blades and half stops. I like the linerlock for the added safety, but with the half stop on both the linerlock model and slip joint it’s not a huge concern.

Does GEC have better luck getting lined locks to lock up tight or do they suffer from the same wobble?

Thanks J2. I’ll have to try a liner lock. I have a 72 lockback which has a slight wiggle from side to side. I know it doesn’t affect usability, but it irritates me. I sure hope my upcoming Mudbug locks up tight.

Seems like GEC has pushed back production of the #43 Oregon. Current schedule has the Doglegs, Mudbugs, and Bullnoses after the 78s finish up. I would think that pretty much wraps up January.

That is also not accounting for the possible mystery Northwoods run that might be in the works too...

I’m interested to know what will be produced after the fillers, 43’s, and new 44 gunstocks.

I wish they would move on those 43's. I thought they would be out by now and I'm really looking forward to that big pattern....

To be fair, the run of 78s was massive. Not only did they have numerous SFOs but they also did single and 2 blade variants for all of the regular production knives as well. That is also not including the speculated Northwoods run on this pattern.

It is my understanding that the Mudbugs, Doglegs, and Bullnoses are small runs and aside from the Mudbug, which is a SFO, they are likely designed to "fill in the gaps" before they embark on future runs that will produce larger quantities.

This, of course, is just speculation on my part. I don't think there are any SFOs for the 43 but there very well might be for the 44.

I would love to see GEC produce a Small Stockman in the future. The 66's are nice, but a little too bulky for me.

I bet if they made a small stockman it would be bulky for its size as well, the old stuff generally had slimmer handles which few dare to go these days. :rolleyes:

I do still really like the 66 stockman though despite the slight bulk. The 66 calf roper slim is exactly as the name implies, however.

Back