1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Corso

Corso

Aug 16, 2007
    big GEC fan

happy to ship them over to the UK on the basis of a photo

not yet had an issue with one and own a fair few

the 70's patterns are my go to knives

big fan of the #71,72, and 73

got a fixed blade on its way at the moment

would definatly bag a #74 if they ever bring out a single blade clip point

2. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Woodrow, I hear you on the #81 frame stockman. Pretty much a dream knife for me in stag, brown bone or ebony with matchstriker pull. Be cool with a proper spey blade ground very thin and hard complete with the old timey "For Flesh Only" etch!

3. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    I love the idea!

4. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    ...or one in red and green acrylic, with "For Gummibears Only" etched on the spey-blade

5. blademan 13

Jan 25, 2000
    Haha, somehow I'm having a tough time shaking that image

6. 2Dead

2Dead

Jul 30, 2009
    I ate a whole bag of gummibears yesterday...:eek:

7. fatcorgi

fatcorgi

Nov 12, 2011
    they can be pretty dangerous, especially in packs ;). a dedicated gummibear blade would definitely be of use (I hope GEC isn't reading this :D).

8. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    GummiBears . . . no, but now Sour Rips, that's another story altogether! And any GEC will work beautifully. :p

9. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    it's hard to beat a nice thin pocket/NKP friendly Whiteowl
    [​IMG]

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  10. Marc9910

Marc9910

Apr 25, 2007
    I am saving my pennies for the batch of 73 and 72 in production at the moment. Will be getting a few I hope!

11. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    Definitely could be a subset for their acrylic handled versions. That would be kinda fun. If I was going to buy two, I might pick up one.

12. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Speaking of acrylic, here's something I learned over the week end (GEC Rendezvous) that I never would have guessed.

Look at these two knives:

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their covers are made from the same acrylic.

Yes, really.

If the material used as "blue corduroy" on the Maverick is sliced the other way, ie, through the stripes, the result is the "faded blue denim" as seen on the Conductor Whittler, sparkles and all.

~ P.

13. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    That's kinda neat. I'm generally not a fan of Acrylic, but there are a few exceptions. I really like that blue in the conductor. The other is the Western Outlaw with the Guitar Shield. Don't know if I'll ever get around to buying one (too many knives too little dollars), but I do like it.

761213-wo-western-sunset.jpg

14. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, it's official... my new favourite GEC is the #68 Pony Jack. My particular specimen is about as flawless as I can imagine: everything is smooth and flush, no gaps, gorgeously matched ebony covers that each have a subtle 'flame' of chocolate brown woodgrain (I wish I had a better camera that could capture the true beauty of the scales.) Simple and elegant, dressy or casual. As much as I like the other Great Eastern folders in my collection, the Pony Jack wins by a furlong! :D

[​IMG]

-Brett

15. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    The PJs are a great pattern for sure. I specifically like them with the clip blade. It's just the right combo for that knife. For the White Owl, the spear seems to look right.

16. timberweasel

timberweasel

Jan 5, 2011
    Agreed! The clip-point master with the long pull also makes it easy to get at behind that pen-blade.

-Brett

17. blademan 13

Jan 25, 2000
    Agreed, a clip point Pony Jack is where it is at. I can actually pinch the main open on mine.

18. joeymoey

joeymoey

Apr 20, 2013
    Id like to see GEC take their #81 pattern and make an improved muskrat / Hawbaker. Id just love it and would buy as many different handle options I could afford.

19. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    That has to wait until after they make a stockman in that pattern!!!!! ;)

20. cards94

cards94

Jul 23, 2013
    very nice looking knife. i was just looking at this knife on the gec website as possibly my first gec.