Lets talk GEC!

I’m likely taking a break after I get my 14. I was wanting a small one, like a #09 but I think the 14 will fill that roll well. They’re not likely getting around to another #98 camp or what many of us are waiting for, a #35 camp any time soon so I think I’ll try and save some cash while I wait.

What I really want in the #35 is clip main with liner lock if possible, small wharncliffe,(not coping or sheepsfoot although either would be o.k.) caplifter, and awl. I have no use for a can opener. bail or no bail, doesn’t matter much to me. I’m good carbon or stainless. No hotdog shield,(not a hater, just have enough with it already) Jigged bone, smooth bone, bocote...
As long as they make some with a good can opener. I wouldn't want a scout without a can opener, because I'd use the can opener more than the knife. Plus, I know GEC would make a great can opener. It's an implement so many companies get wrong.

It wouldn't be traditional, but I wouldn't mind a pen blade snuck in as a secondary, with a can opener too.

I think Mike’s right about the #22 being GEC’s smallest, but the #18 and #06 are close seconds. GEC’s site lists the closed length of the #98 as 4 7/8”, which I believe would make it the longest GEC folder, but it’s tough to argue that it’s “bigger” than, say, the #46. :D

The #14 is not the smallest. The #18 Coyote is probably the smallest at 2-3/4" and single blade.

No, plenty of knives smaller than #14. The #22 seems to have been around 2 5/8"

Yup. Also the #06 Pemberton at 2 3/4”.

Wow, I thought that the 14 was small, never looked at the closed length of the 22 nor handled it. I always assumed ,when looking at pictures of it and it being a gustock, that it was larger, thank's for the info. The #14 is a beautiful knife, but, smaller than I like. What a testament to GEC to make such a small knife with suck good walk and talk and fit and finish. I so wanted a #18 when they came out, the oil sucker rod wood had me, but, didn't pull the trigger because of the size.

I agree that the 09 seems like it is the smallest, but Mike is right the 22 is the shortest of all of them.. I have the 06, 09, both of the 18's and the 22... All great little patterns....

The #98 is certainly longer, but I bet even the camp knife version doesn’t weigh as much as one of those #46’s!
They are stouter and heavier and though some people carry them, I would not. The 98 whittler on the other hand is slim and not so heavy and will make it into my rotation, it has alot to offer.

They are stouter and heavier and though some people carry them, I would not. The 98 whittler on the other hand is slim and not so heavy and will make it into my rotation, it has alot to offer.

I regret not picking up one of the #98 Camp Knives; I was afraid it would be too big to carry comfortably. Then again, I bought an Ironwood #46, and have no intention of carrying it. :D

I agree that the 09 seems like it is the smallest, but Mike is right the 22 is the shortest of all of them.. I have the 06, 09, both of the 18's and the 22... All great little patterns....
I like small knives, too. :):thumbsup: Here's an old picture of a #09, a #22, and a #15. I have a #18 Coyote too, but I'm too lazy right now to get it out and take a new picture. :p
GECs 002 resized.jpg

Back