Lets talk GEC!

The teardrop frame is very ergonomic in use and in pocket. One of the best, IMO. The way GEC does the candle end, there is a bit of wasted length, but I can live with that.
I say you should try one!:thumbsup:
I like the tear drop ergos better without the ez open notch. Also, this is me nit-picking but the blade is hard to control in cuts because of how narrow the stock is at the tang and then how wide it gets toward the tip. At any rate, i had a cocobolo single blade from the last run of singles that i regret selling. so i'm eager for the beaver!

Edit... Bloodwood... not cocobolo

Last edited:
Where are the SFO Schrade Fire and Ice Trappers built on both the #73 frame and #23 frame in 2007 in your first chart? There are other omissions also.

The good news about SFO’s like the Schrade is they usually have a gigantic “1 OF 200” etched on the backside of the blade.

I don't really feel that A) contracted knives with non-GEC branding should be considered SFO's; or B) that you would ever get an accurate count on those due to inaccurate etches and lack of records. Nor, do they actually lend to the stated purpose of the database to begin with.

No other maker has ever tracked contracted brands as an extension of their own. Winchester, Case Classic, Remington, etc. etc.

I don't really feel that A) contracted knives with non-GEC branding should be considered SFO's; or B) that you would ever get an accurate count on those due to inaccurate etches and lack of records. Nor, do they actually lend to the stated purpose of the database to begin with.

No other maker has ever tracked contracted brands as an extension of their own. Winchester, Case Classic, Remington, etc. etc.

Interesting. I imagine that’ll make things significantly easier. It’s not like contracted knives would represent trends... I wouldn’t think so, anyway.

That's a good point Mike. I hadn't thought of it in that way.

What's really going to be interesting is when the various covers will be covered.

True; I guarantee I can find some that are not on any list....
Mike...I have no doubt :) If you are interested, I will send you the full list of your SFOs from the database when I am finished for your humor :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Edit - having said that, you probably have all that info already

I wasn't really referring to SFO's. Back in the day I had some really rare birds just be being on the phone with the right person at the right time.

Ah gotcha. If I can figure out a good way to deliver it to the forum...I can provide a list of all unique materials found. Maybe when I am done I will dedicate a thread to all of this data.

Ah gotcha. If I can figure out a good way to deliver it to the forum...I can provide a list of all unique materials found. Maybe when I am done I will dedicate a thread to all of this data.

I think you should start one now. There are probably some members here that could provide some insight that might not frequent this thread.

For instance, GEC production totals acorn shield stainless for 2016 list:
745116 AMERICAN CHESTNUT WOOD 216 PCS.
BURNT ORANGE JIG BONE 117 PCS.
AMERICAN ELK 67 PCS.
ORANGE DELRIN 47 PCS.
But I have a GEC stainless acorn 745116 in elephant ivory

Did you check 2017 production totals? The date stamped on the tang is when the blade was made, but not always when the knife was assembled and listed on the production totals.

There are no elephant ivory knives listed in 2016 or 2017.

These are all the 745116 models listed in 2016 or 2017.
Prod Year Model # Brand Material Total
2016 745116 Northfield Primitive_Bone 47
2016 745116 GEC American_Chestnut_Wood 216
2016 745116 GEC Burnt_Orange_Jig_Bone 117
2016 745116 GEC American_Elk 67
2016 745116 GEC Orange_Delrin 47
2016 745116 SFO-DLT Autumn_Leaf_Jig_Bone 150
2016 745116 SFO-DLT Snakewood 72
2016 745116 SFO-DLT Orange_Camel_Bone 163
2016 745116 SFO-DLT Smooth_Oiled_Bone 76

Having said that, it is a true statement that sometimes earlier stamped blades are released in later years. I've seen it several times already.

All this production totals and trends stuff is surprisingly intriguing. Might be easier for you if it was its own thread? Less chance of missing input from some folks, easier for us to keep up to date with your progress too...

All this production totals and trends stuff is surprisingly intriguing. Might be easier for you if it was its own thread? Less chance of missing input from some folks, easier for us to keep up to date with your progress too...
I will create a new thread tonight :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is from the release of the 74s

27248583743_807a1ba6f2_b_d.jpg

Back