Lets talk GEC!

Hahaha such intrigue over minutia! I'm holding the chestnut and ivory in my hands right now and the pins look exactly the same on both - the pin for the backspring is flush cut on the ivory and the same flush cut on the chestnut. The shield on the ivory is the same but the fitting is not as crisp on the ivory, it may be the working of the material is a little more difficult?

I bought all three the instant of the drop at KSF (I was actually on the phone with them). My understanding is that my ivory is one of five produced with the run in 2016. I don't think the ivory was supplied by KSF as they seemed surprised at the cover but may have been some material at the factory they wanted to use up and sent to KSF as there was a penchant for ivory - that was why they relocated from the west coast to Michigan.

Also, on the cap of the tube it is clearly written "elephant ivory" in the same hand as the rest of information.

The point of this discussion however is that not all covers are included in the GEC production totals.

Last edited:
Hahaha such intrigue over minutia! I'm holding the chestnut and ivory in my hands right now and the pins look exactly the same on both - the pin for the backspring is flush cut on the ivory and the same flush cut on the chestnut. The shield on the ivory is the same but the fitting is not as crisp on the ivory, it may be the working of the material is a little more difficult?

I bought all three the instant of the drop at KSF (I was actually on the phone with them). My understanding is that my ivory is one of five produced with the run in 2016. I don't think the ivory was supplied by KSF as they seemed surprised at the cover but may have been some material at the factory they wanted to use up and sent to KSF as there was a penchant for ivory - that was why they relocated from the west coast to Michigan.

Also, on the cap of the tube it is clearly written "elephant ivory" in the same hand as the rest of information.

The point of this discussion however is that not all covers are included in the GEC production totals.

Yeah, but until you have that handwritten tube cap analyzed by a handwriting expert, how can we really know for sure? ;) :D

I wasn't really referring to SFO's. Back in the day I had some really rare birds just be being on the phone with the right person at the right time.

Remember the left handed GECs Mike? You had some listed at CK, I don't remember the exact facts - maybe the nail nick on the pile side, shield on the pile side - I just don't remember. I may have missed them but don't see them listed in the production tables.

While talking to @rma100 on the phone about his SFO #71 Bull Nose Tortoise Shell knife he mentioned that he had a #73 covered on one side with ebony and on the other side with cocobolo. The way GEC lines up their knives in trays side-by-side it's easy enough to imagine how that could happen. We'll never know the facts about that knife as Bob passed away a couple of years ago.

Remember the left handed GECs Mike? You had some listed at CK, I don't remember the exact facts - maybe the nail nick on the pile side, shield on the pile side - I just don't remember. I may have missed them but don't see them listed in the production tables.

I always wanted to get my hands on one of those left-handed GECs. I don't even know why, as I'm not left handed. :confused: Just something unique I guess. :D

Anyone know a good way to polish up the bolsters? Recently got a knife (used) and some scuff marks weren't shown and want to get them out. It almost looks like the dude dropped it on concrete or something. It is a GEC made knife. Would just some sand paper be all that is needed? And what grit (new to the rodeo)?

Scuff or scratches? Nickle silver polishes scuffs out quickly with metal polish and cotton rag. Scratches would best be buffed out with a buffing wheel and some polishing compound.

Anyone know a good way to polish up the bolsters? Recently got a knife (used) and some scuff marks weren't shown and want to get them out. It almost looks like the dude dropped it on concrete or something. It is a GEC made knife. Would just some sand paper be all that is needed? And what grit (new to the rodeo)?

Are you planning on carrying it? If so, I’d just drop it in your pocket. The bolsters will get scuffed up eventually anyways.

Flitz polishing compound with a microfiber works great. If you want a mirror finish use the Flitz with a Dremel and buffing wheel.

Another easy way to get high polish back on bolsters is by using 3M micron sanding papers. They’re not labeled by number but by color. Heavy grit to softer grit, by color, dark green to white. I think the brand is “Zona” on amazon. I’ve used these for 10 years, with great results!

Thanks for the tips guys. I am planning on carrying it some, but it came with a leather slip and I'll be carrying it in that.

So any tips on a very small dent or two? Is the best I can hope for is to just polish it? I bought the knife b/c of the price was good and was planning on keeping for several years and then reselling (maybe) it when the demand is great for it. But would like to touch up some of these blemishes.

That #29 possibility for 2019 looks very interesting, might have to forget about what I had said about not getting anything after my #14 for a while...

Those new ones don't move me at all, but I'm sure I'll be in the minority ;):D
The 97 is a distant 3rd in my order of preference, and depending on materials, doubt I'll get one.

The 86 has my favorite blade combo, and I will be getting one.

The 29 is awesome, and may become my new favorite. 29 is my favorite #, and I'm very excited for this one. Hoping/assuming its a 2 spring and not 3 (probably a split spring). If I was given the opportunity to design my perfect knife, it would be this.

Last edited:
Back