Lets talk GEC!

These are two of my new favourite French knives.
rsWk7EA.jpg
Stefan Schmalhaus has one of his informative videos on Youtube that is well worth watching if you are interested.
Those knives look like they would be great to handle as well as cutting machines. ☺

Is it 2019 yet? I need one of or both of the Coke bottles.

Russell
Thank goodness I'm not interested in any of these (yet). The wait would be torture.

Nothing against GEC or any other manufacturer but I think I'm done with the long waits for awhile. I have a knife out for a rehandle that still has 2 months left of a 5 month wait.

Then there is the Bladeforums knife that fortunately might be coming soon. I'm starting to realize that I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy.

Thank goodness I'm not interested in any of these (yet). The wait would be torture.

Nothing against GEC or any other manufacturer but I think I'm done with the long waits for awhile. I have a knife out for a rehandle that still has 2 months left of a 5 month wait.

Then there is the Bladeforums knife that fortunately might be coming soon. I'm starting to realize that I'm more of an instant gratification kind of guy.
I'm willing to take some flak for this statement, but I think these(new patterns) have been announced too early. I'm super stoked about the possibilities NOW, but I think I'll have cooled off a lot by the time some of these are hitting the market.
Am I wrong in thinking there used to be more mystery? I very well could be, I think the 2016 caplifters were announced crazy early too.
It is going to seem like a looooong wait for these new patterns now tho.

I'm willing to take some flak for this statement, but I think these(new patterns) have been announced too early. I'm super stoked about the possibilities NOW, but I think I'll have cooled off a lot by the time some of these are hitting the market.
Am I wrong in thinking there used to be more mystery? I very well could be, I think the 2016 caplifters were announced crazy early too.

This happened to me with the GEC #13. When the drawings came out, I made a post hoping for the Whip to come in Ebony with a Hotdog shield. Sure enough, 6 months or whatever later, that exact knife came out, and I really couldn't have cared less. By that time, I had realized I was firmly entrenched in "Camp Smalls" and couldn't justify a knife that would probably never be carried.

@Travman brought up the idea of one of these as our 2019 BF knife. I'm probably jumping to conclusions here, but perhaps one reason for such an early preview is to get the ball rolling on one of these as our next knife.

I'm sure the biggest reason is just to gauge overall interest - to determine how many to make of each pattern, but I'd like to think that we factored into the decision - if only but a little.

I'd personally prefer to not start the discussion of the next knife until we have the 2018 ones in hand and enjoyed them a bit, BUT we may have great options to discuss when the time comes.

Agree with the long wait, my enthusiasm dies off too. It’s happened with a few Spydercos, they announce a new knife and a year later it’s not out. By the time it IS released, I’m over it. So far that hasn’t happened with a GEC, but as wait time after announcements increases enthusiasm fades.

At the same time however, it’s nice to know what’s coming to allow us to budget for it. If I’m on the fence about one, but nothings coming up that interests me I’ll likely get it, but if I’m excited about the next one up I’ll hold off.

I had planned on not buying any more after the 14’s for a while but those 29’s are calling my name! It might be a while anyway because, a. It just says possibility b. They might not be run till November.

Agree with the long wait, my enthusiasm dies off too. It’s happened with a few Spydercos, they announce a new knife and a year later it’s not out. By the time it IS released, I’m over it. So far that hasn’t happened with a GEC, but as wait time after announcements increases enthusiasm fades.

At the same time however, it’s nice to know what’s coming to allow us to budget for it. If I’m on the fence about one, but nothings coming up that interests me I’ll likely get it, but if I’m excited about the next one up I’ll hold off.

I had planned on not buying any more after the 14’s for a while but those 29’s are calling my name! It might be a while anyway because, a. It just says possibility b. They might not be run till November.
As a Spyderco enthusiast, I'm in total agreement with you here.

The points about the forum knife possibilities for next year are valid ones as well. We would do well to remember that having a GEC as a forum knife is certainly not a given. This year's knife might be so great that Buck will get the nod again!

For my part, I am very happy to be able to anticipate in order to be able to plan a budget. It's easier for me like that.

Waiting is also part of the pleasure....

I was really pleased to receive the #43 and #44 which had been very much anticipated.

I'm really digging the 29. I can't tell what the spring set-up will be - possibly a split spring whittler? The body looks like a 92 with a round cap on both sides. That'd make sense, being perhaps a reverse of the Eureka (92/29) like the 74 and 47 are mirror patterns. I do like the idea of a good punch/awl/reamer - I love the one on the Pioneer/Soldier but I really don't ever carry one.

Back