Lets talk GEC!

That has to wait until after they make a stockman in that pattern!!!!! ;)

I wouldn't mind a stockman based on the #81 frame. Of course they would need to use the same blade they are using on their #81 muskrats or even something new that looks closer to the case medium stockman Turkish blade (on the rounded bolster version.
Yea I would definitely buy one although there are about 5 or 6 knives ahead of it on the "to buy" list as it sits right now ~

Guy 'n' gals, I just got word this morning of the next GEC knife patterns on the not-too-distant horizon and I'm pretty excited. They are producing the 46 Whaler in steel; yep, steel frame and bolsters. :eek: The Tidioutes will be handled in cocobolo and Autumn Gold jig bone, and the Northfields will be in ebony, bone stag, and two acrylics of undetermined color. They switched up a little by using the cocobolo on the Tidioutes and the ebony on the NF's instead of the usual other way around. I'm a big fan of the ebony NF's! :cool:

Around the corner will be another run of the 42 lock backs in the usual (or not) handle materials. Smooth white/ivory bone will be one of the choices. :) NICE!

Guy 'n' gals, I just got word this morning of the next GEC knife patterns on the not-too-distant horizon and I'm pretty excited. They are producing the 46 Whaler in steel; yep, steel frame and bolsters. :eek: The Tidioutes will be handled in cocobolo and Autumn Gold jig bone, and the Northfields will be in ebony, bone stag, and two acrylics of undetermined color. They switched up a little by using the cocobolo on the Tidioutes and the ebony on the NF's instead of the usual other way around. I'm a big fan of the ebony NF's! :cool:

Around the corner will be another run of the 42 lock backs in the usual (or not) handle materials. Smooth white/ivory bone will be one of the choices. :) NICE!

I might have to get me another 42. :D

good news to get a second stab at the 42s, I ordered one last year but it disappeared in the mail due to a confusion about my address (I got a friend to order it on my behalf).

A run of Bull Locks, #15 sheepsfoot barlows and boys knives, #72's & 73's coming and now another run of 42's? Is this a great time to be a knife knut or what??

GEC's production schedule shows a bunch of 73 and 72 knives coming out. I was excited to see the 0 blade identifier for a wharncliff but I have to ask.....why make it a lockback AGAIN????? They have already made it like that, why not a slippie or LL version?

GEC's production schedule shows a bunch of 73 and 72 knives coming out. I was excited to see the 0 blade identifier for a wharncliff but I have to ask.....why make it a lockback AGAIN????? They have already made it like that, why not a slippie or LL version?

Because the demand is there and they sell out. While we might like their strong springs, a lot of folks can't handle them and the lock backs have such light pulls anyone can use them. Same can't be said for all their slip joints and LLs.

But when they make some wharncliffe #48s... make them slip joints :)

I can understand that Trand. But those folks already had a chance to buy one, trying to be selfish here :D

A single blade 48 wharnie with no lock, you can sign me up for one of those any day.

Believe me I know the feeling :) Derrick/KSF had a #48 SFO under their Scagel line. I missed out on the bone wharncliffe ones but they still have stag and ram's horn but I can't buy those without seeing the thickness. One thing I like about the #48s is that they're slim.
KSF's pic. I know they have the tooling so I'm not sure why they haven't come out with their versions yet :(
fruitport_wharn_bonet__28331.jpg

I did manage to get a clip version of the bone though.

I just cant get into those Scagels. They have a lot going for them but just not my taste. An ebony Tidioute on the other hand :)

I dont understand why they have not made their own version either. The higher prices of an SFO (handle materials, stamps and such) and the not so fast movement of them is no indication of how well they would sell.

My vote goes for a slipjoint.

Either ways I'm tempted to buy both a 73 with a single blade and wood scales and the wharncliffe lockback. I can't get enough wharncliffe blades.

My vote goes for a slipjoint.

Either ways I'm tempted to buy both a 73 with a single blade and wood scales and the wharncliffe lockback. I can't get enough wharncliffe blades.

Neither can I Stian, the wharnie is quickly becoming my main blade of choice :thumbup:

I would love to see GEC start making some two bladed single spring knives with a Wharnie main and a spey secondary. If they brought out a 68 with that combo I would be very happy. I just dont like pen blades and their is no need to have a pointy secondary when the wharncliff has all the point you will ever need. Occasionally I need some belly and a spey secondary would compliment the straight edge very nicely IMHO.

Neither can I Stian, the wharnie is quickly becoming my main blade of choice :thumbup:

I would love to see GEC start making some two bladed single spring knives with a Wharnie main and a spey secondary. If they brought out a 68 with that combo I would be very happy. I just dont like pen blades and their is no need to have a pointy secondary when the wharncliff has all the point you will ever need. Occasionally I need some belly and a spey secondary would compliment the straight edge very nicely IMHO.

Ok..newbie to those blades. When I look it up it says used for embroidery. I am betting that's not what your main use is. What makes it your blade of choice?
Thanks

Here is a pic of one

Search on here for some great threads about wharncliff's and what they are good for :)

I prefer them for several reasons. I do not use my pocket knife for food prep except the occasional fruit and I am usually only skinning it so the wharnie works great. I have cut steak with it and had no problems either(but would certainly not be my first choice). The tip is really the selling point(pun intended) for me. It pierces cardboard effortlessly, gives you more edge to pull through objects as you cut and they are easier to sharpen without the belly. I also like how I can leverage the blade up into things by rocking it on the spine, upside down. This is great on the job site when I need to clean a little piece of wood trim up or cut out something precise in sheet rock. The only task it cant do well is scrape and thats why I want it paired with a small secondary blade like the spey or drop point. Gives you the belly you may need from time to time.

Why for those unfortunate few who did not get them the first time. :)

Here is a pic of one

Search on here for some great threads about wharncliff's and what they are good for :)

I prefer them for several reasons. I do not use my pocket knife for food prep except the occasional fruit and I am usually only skinning it so the wharnie works great. I have cut steak with it and had no problems either(but would certainly not be my first choice). The tip is really the selling point(pun intended) for me. It pierces cardboard effortlessly, gives you more edge to pull through objects as you cut and they are easier to sharpen without the belly. I also like how I can leverage the blade up into things by rocking it on the spine, upside down. This is great on the job site when I need to clean a little piece of wood trim up or cut out something precise in sheet rock. The only task it cant do well is scrape and thats why I want it paired with a small secondary blade like the spey or drop point. Gives you the belly you may need from time to time.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm gonna have to just get one and see what I can use it for. I really like the way they look. Thanks.

When in doubt, try it out :)

Nothing compares to actual use. I had first purchased this half whittler from GEC

The blade is much stubbier then my current 55. I really did not like the feel of acrylic or how proud that blade was closed(when it comes to using the pen). I also felt the tip would be way to fragile for life on a construction site and I traded it away. I got the bug again for the wharnie and decided to pick up the 55 houndstooth and give it another go but this time I was not going to hold back on the tip. I can tell you after a few months use that the tip of my 55 is just as full and sharp as it was when I got it. Glad I gave it another chance. I will add that I use my knives heavily but do not abuse them. I try not to twist or pry at all, I carry other things for those purposes.

Although they are on the same frame, you are right, the Houndstooth and Half-Whitt's Wharncliffes are not really similar to each other. I like the Houndstooth more as it is longer, more purposeful.

I'm excited about the New #31 Northwoods by GEC. Swell back half whit. or Norfolk...whatever they call it, it's my dream knife! Hoping for Smooth Rams horn or a black ebony.:) This might just surpass my courthouse whittler for my favorite GEC knife.

Back