Lets talk GEC!

I've got a Single blade Pemberton in ebony. Nice knife & carried a bit. While I like it better than my Case Peanut, it's still a tad smaller than I like.

The GEC #33 Conductor was the perfect size, but every one I handled had a very light pull. Felt like a 3-3.5 pull and the lightest I like is around a 5. Still a #33 set up as a single end Jack knife with a clip main & coping secondary would be sweet.

I've heard quite a few others remark on light pull or weak snap on this pattern. I have 3 of them, 2 stainless acorns and a Tidioute carbon but all three have excellent snap/talk shutting briskly with some noise:D I find the pull strong enough and much prefer the uninterrupted feel that comes from having no half stop. Possibly I've been very lucky though? There are three Tidioute versions I missed out on at the time-that long lost age when knives remained on dealer shelves for more than 18 minutes...:rolleyes: only to re-appear on the Bay at 300% markup;) (" I bought too many of these so I'll let them go:poop:") There was a really fine Ivory Bone version, Red Apple jigged and smooth Micarta, not seen any of these for a long while.

Whatever, GEC should do this pattern again, I'm certain people would be delighted as you get a very decent Clip master in a compact frame:cool:

2px9wpI.jpg

I had a #33 that didn't have a super strong pull for a GEC, if I recall correctly maybe a 5, but it had good snap and was a great knife. In one of my ill advised sell offs I let it go and I do regret it. A cool little pen knife pattern. I also got a dog paw one in stag but it was too thick for me.

Last edited:
I have a 57 whittler, clip main, and it doesn’t have a good solid snap open either. However, it closes with a great snap. Crazy.

I bought the knife used and have cleaned and oiled it but the snap open never improved.

I guess it is just the characteristic of this knife. I just wished it snapped.

I thought this might be of interest. It is a letter to dealers from GEC about the #97 Coke Bottle production.

"As of today, 10 December, 2018, the total orders from GEC distributors and dealers for the #97 pattern are approximately 5,200 pieces. That is a substantial number of knives. I am anxious to get started on them and excited about producing another old classic pocket knife design.

When we go into production on this run, we hope to have them reach our inspection department by early February. Once inspected and we start shipping this run, I calculate that it will take 33 work days to complete. That is over a month and a half calendar time. Be advised, there may be several days when you do not receive new product from GEC.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Howard"

I thought this might be of interest. It is a letter to dealers from GEC about the #97 Coke Bottle production.

"As of today, 10 December, 2018, the total orders from GEC distributors and dealers for the #97 pattern are approximately 5,200 pieces. That is a substantial number of knives. I am anxious to get started on them and excited about producing another old classic pocket knife design.

When we go into production on this run, we hope to have them reach our inspection department by early February. Once inspected and we start shipping this run, I calculate that it will take 33 work days to complete. That is over a month and a half calendar time. Be advised, there may be several days when you do not receive new product from GEC.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Howard"
That is great news Mike .

Harry

When we go into production on this run, we hope to have them reach our inspection department by early February. Once inspected and we start shipping this run, I calculate that it will take 33 work days to complete. That is over a month and a half calendar time.
This will give all our wallets some much needed time to recuperate.

"As of today, 10 December, 2018, the total orders from GEC distributors and dealers for the #97 pattern are approximately 5,200 pieces.

Are they all going to be the same single blade configuration? That's an awful lot of big knives for GEC. Has there ever been a single run from them with that many knives at once?

Are they all going to be the same single blade configuration? That's an awful lot of big knives for GEC. Has there ever been a single run from them with that many knives at once?
I'll crunch the numbers but that is definitely a lot for such a big knife. For reference, the run of 78's in 2017 were a total of 3191. I estimate the recent run of 14's to be somewhere in the 4500-5000 range.

From memory isn’t the #97 a small version of the original Maher and Grosch? I would like to see it remade in the original size, that appeals to me more.

4.75" closed is too small for you?

That's the same length as a Buck 110. With traditional construction, it's going to weigh as much. I'll pocket carry some of the lightweight 110 variants, but the original? No. Need a sheath. Half a pound is a lot of knife.

I’d consider a 97 if they put a liner lock on them. Just seems to me like it would be a good candidate for a locking blade. Nice pointy clip angled down from the handle.

Sour Grapes (for me) since GEC pulled the ole' Switch-A-Roo on the #97.

Looking forward to a Gabon Ebony Tidioute & a Jigged Bone Northfield (as pictured :confused:).

CLi6Tw5.jpg

Looks like I'll suffer in silence (along with 5199 others :rolleyes:) with a Yellow Rose in pocket. :p:D

Nice Knife :thumbsup:

- Del

I'm going to go ahead and call it: with the high amount of numbers being produced, the Maroon micarta version will be seen in stock on online retailers pages for most of 2019.

Last edited:
Back