Lets talk GEC!

Sour Grapes (for me) since GEC pulled the ole' Switch-A-Roo on the #97.

Looking forward to a Gabon Ebony Tidioute & a Jigged Bone Northfield (as pictured :confused:).

CLi6Tw5.jpg

Looks like I'll suffer in silence (along with 5199 others :rolleyes:) with a Yellow Rose in pocket. :p:D

Nice Knife :thumbsup:

- Del

I was surprised by that as well. I put in for an ebony and a stag. My hopes if they don't get the stag they switch to a jigged bone version. The collector in me needs at least one these with Northfield trim.

I agree! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Maybe knifeswapper knifeswapper will consider an SFO run of Northfield's with satin blades?

What's another 500 when your making knives! :p

- Del

I was surprised by that as well. I put in for an ebony and a stag. My hopes if they don't get the stag they switch to a jigged bone version. The collector in me needs at least one these with Northfield trim.

I thought this might be of interest. It is a letter to dealers from GEC about the #97 Coke Bottle production.

"As of today, 10 December, 2018, the total orders from GEC distributors and dealers for the #97 pattern are approximately 5,200 pieces. That is a substantial number of knives. I am anxious to get started on them and excited about producing another old classic pocket knife design.

When we go into production on this run, we hope to have them reach our inspection department by early February. Once inspected and we start shipping this run, I calculate that it will take 33 work days to complete. That is over a month and a half calendar time. Be advised, there may be several days when you do not receive new product from GEC.

Happy Holidays,
Bill Howard"

Could this mean there will be SFO's with this run?

Time will tell.

My apologies, I didn't understand your post. I assumed "interest" was a forward looking measurement. I am only saying that GEC is only making what was ordered; so for their part "production" already equals "sales". For my part, the number I ordered is based directly off of commitments. So, my interest was based directly on customer pre-production interest and GEC's production is based directly off of dealers pre-production interest.

If my perception of expressed interest here on the forum for the 97s resulted in 5000+ pieces in production, then I'm guessing there will be over 8000 29s made (if ordered the same way).

2019 could break the record for the fewest unique patterns produced in a year.

But we still have 20 days left in 2018, and I'm just happy the interest in traditional folders is still strong:)

Huge Knife with a Huge Order :D But too much for me, looks like my GEC lust is going to be low for some months. But, it'll change ;)

As I believe I've already mentioned in this thread, I'm excited about the upcoming run of #21 Bull Busters, but I am a little disappointed in the lack of variety in handle materials. No Nifebrite? No Natural Canvas Micarta?

knifeswapper knifeswapper , any idea if there will be SFO's for the #21 run?

The proposed GEC 97 Northfield has great looking lines. Possibly the nicest looking GEC since the 43’s came along to my eye.

Is it possible the reason for no jigging on most of the 97’s is that they are so big it would be like jigging 15,000 normal average sized knives?

I’m very surprised at the production number! I just hope to land a stag. I struck out on the 43 stags, and I’d like a beefy, gnarly GEC.

I'll crunch the numbers but that is definitely a lot for such a big knife. For reference, the run of 78's in 2017 were a total of 3191. I estimate the recent run of 14's to be somewhere in the 4500-5000 range.
The '16 run of #15 crown lifters had in the neighborhood of 4000 pieces if I'm not mistaking.

Back