Lets talk GEC!

This is kinda like when Case introduced their "Sod Buster Junior". Case trademarked the two word "Sod Buster" name. Hence all other knife manufactures use the one word "Sodbuster" name.

From a business' perspective it's serious business but to a knife collector/accumulator, it's pretty silly.
Speaking of Case...don't they have Scout knives too? I am assuming this would prevent them from releasing any new versions of the Scout or Jr Scout knives with that name.
You summed it up nicely though...it is completely silly to us but a pretty big deal from a business perspective. The world of trademarks/copyrights/brands, etc. is vicious.

I am curious as to what GEC has in the works next. Pretty much halfway done with the Pembertons, then the #97 run to go. I'd imagine in the next few weeks we'll be getting word.
Me too...looking forward to whatever is coming down the pipe :)

Speaking of Case...don't they have Scout knives too? I am assuming this would prevent them from releasing any new versions of the Scout or Jr Scout knives with that name.
You summed it up nicely though...it is completely silly to us but a pretty big deal from a business perspective. The world of trademarks/copyrights/brands, etc. is vicious.

Case makes Boy Scout knives under license from The Boy Scouts of America.

The Beer Scout without the wording on the shield is nice. If I recall gunstockjack had a super nice blood wood SFO. Anybody have one of those?
Yes, they nicknamed this one the Gun Scout because it was Gunstock Jack’s SFO. The shield is the bowtie shield.
XYh36pC.jpg

The trademark issue is the similarity between the phrase ‘boy scout knife’ and ‘beer scout knife’. That similarity is the same reason that GEC’s name is cool and ironic.

Simply saying ‘scout knife’ doesn’t give rise to the same issue, although in trademark land anything can be litigated if you have the money and a commercial interest to protect.

GEC can still make the same knife and call it something else. But unless GEC is determined to give its knives whimsical names, then it seems unlikely there will be another one that has the same level of humour.

As we know, not everything GEC finds funny comes off or works (e.g. CKC tang stamp) but there have also been some really good calls (beer scout, radio jack), but most of the best names are in the various names GEC coins for handle materials. They are always interesting and often evocative.

Personally I would prefer GEC runs polls for new knife names - like was done with the Drover - as that lowers the risk of a misfiring name and I enjoy having a chance to be involved.

I am curious as to what GEC has in the works next. Pretty much halfway done with the Pembertons, then the #97 run to go. I'd imagine in the next few weeks we'll be getting word.

I am curious also. They apparently don't expect to work on the 97s till April-May. I can't imagine the two blade Pembertons to take from now till April. There must be something unannounced between. Probably Northwoods?

The trademark issue is the similarity between the phrase ‘boy scout knife’ and ‘beer scout knife’. That similarity is the same reason that GEC’s name is cool and ironic.

Simply saying ‘scout knife’ doesn’t give rise to the same issue, although in trademark land anything can be litigated if you have the money and a commercial interest to protect.

GEC can still make the same knife and call it something else. But unless GEC is determined to give its knives whimsical names, then it seems unlikely there will be another one that has the same level of humour.

As we know, not everything GEC finds funny comes off or works (e.g. CKC tang stamp) but there have also been some really good calls (beer scout, radio jack), but most of the best names are in the various names GEC coins for handle materials. They are always interesting and often evocative.

Personally I would prefer GEC runs polls for new knife names - like was done with the Drover - as that lowers the risk of a misfiring name and I enjoy having a chance to be involved.

GEC has certainly missed the mark on some things, but I don't think a poll system is right. GEC is a private company and they should do things their way.

Yeah I would probably rephrase it - not its necessary but I like it when they have engaged with their customers on new knife names. I think its inclusive and a bit of fun.

My original post when I got my Beer Scout with a suggestion to use laquer thinner to lighten up the lettering in the shield.

"Mine came in today. It looks just like everyone else's EXCEPT that I took a little automotive lacquer thinner and managed to remove most of the black coloring from the lettering on the shield so that it doesn't stand out so much. Nice little knife as are all the #15s - melts in the pocket so to speak.

LueZIRk.jpg

Last edited:
All this talk about Beer Scouts..... I think this was my favorite.

Draft Beer Acrylic
zn1l4z.jpg

Does this mean that Beer Scout Knives will now be listing for 10x list price?! I was actually just crying to myself about how with every re-release of patterns, my collection drops in value.

I would love to see some Indian Girl Canoes again and Powderhorn/Toothpicks
Meako I agree 100% on the Indian Girl Canoes. I've bought and sold more GEC knives then I could ever count and the only one I ever really felt regret over letting go of was the 2nd one I ever bought. A beautiful GEC #16 Little Indian Girl Canoe with Amber Jigged Bone handles and it was as cool lookin a knife as I'd ever seen at that point and still a top contender today. I do recall reading when they did the first run they sat on Dealers shelves for months but I don't think that would ever be the case today. GEC has a much bigger fan base then they did back then. Common Bill you can do it.;)

Last edited:
All this talk about Beer Scouts..... I think this was my favorite.

Draft Beer Acrylic
zn1l4z.jpg

Does this mean that Beer Scout Knives will now be listing for 10x list price?! I was actually just crying to myself about how with every re-release of patterns, my collection drops in value.
I hope so, that would make my wife happy!!

Meako I agree 100% on the Indian Girl Canoes. I've bought and sold more GEC knives then I could ever count and the only one I ever really felt regret over letting go of was the 2nd one I ever bought. A beautiful GEC #16 Little Indian Girl Canoe with Amber Jigged Bone handles and it was as cool lookin a knife as I'd ever seen at that point and still a top contender today. I do recall reading when they did the first run they sat on Dealers shelves for months but I don't think that would ever be the case today. GEC has a much bigger fan base then they did back then. Common Bill you can do it.;)

Ha t.willy we all know that feeling! there is an amnesty box in heaven where all previous bad knife sales can be reclaimed. It has my 98 ebony whittler in it, don’t beat me to it.

Been there, done that. Sold a scratted bone Ancient TC Barlow, still kicking myself. :confused: :D

I would love to see some Indian Girl Canoes again and Powderhorn/Toothpicks
Agreed and agreed, meako meako ! I'd definitely buy one of each. Seems like we should see a run of each in the next couple of years. Let's add the French Kate to the list, too!

--Indian Girl Canoe
--Powderhorn Toothpick
--French Kate

A year that sees those three would be a darn good one!

Back