Lets talk GEC!

GEC thought for the day...
Let's get a slipjoint Tuscosa please :D
It's the perfect sized knife for my needs.

I can understand that, although I'm a Lockback zealot ;) It's a great size for a Drop-Point, what I could do without is the ridiculous and superfluous lanyard hole:rolleyes: Makes a horrible hole on a small knife with often great Stag or Bone...Lanyard holes, shackles...uh uh:D

Agreed and agreed, meako meako ! I'd definitely buy one of each. Seems like we should see a run of each in the next couple of years. Let's add the French Kate to the list, too!

--Indian Girl Canoe
--Powderhorn Toothpick
--French Kate

A year that sees those three would be a darn good one!

When I first glanced at this post I thought to myself, "Yes, that is the three biggest dogs GEC has produced. But the French Kate should go above the Toothpick on the list". Little did I realize until I read it that these were "wants". :D

When I first glanced at this post I thought to myself, "Yes, that is the three biggest dogs GEC has produced. But the French Kate should go above the Toothpick on the list". Little did I realize until I read it that these were "wants". :D

I actually kind of regret missing out on a French Kate. But yeah, at the time of manufacture, I totally scoffed at them.

Agreed and agreed, meako meako ! I'd definitely buy one of each. Seems like we should see a run of each in the next couple of years. Let's add the French Kate to the list, too!

--Indian Girl Canoe
--Powderhorn Toothpick
--French Kate

A year that sees those three would be a darn good one!

I have to agree with knifeswapper knifeswapper on this. Those ones collected dust for a really long time. It probably wouldn’t be a good year for GEC! Actually, I personally really like the Toothpick and French Kate.

What I’d really like to see GEC make is a Coffin Jack. Something along the lines of this Winchester. I imagine it would probably sell really well. Great size too.

2zyy0rb.jpg

I agree on the coffin jack idea. I think if they focused on a size between 3-5/8, 3-3/4, or even 3-7/8 that it would be a huge hit. And they could go crazy with SFO’s like on the 14’s and 78’s.

Yes, that is the three biggest dogs GEC has produced.

You're forgetting the all-time dog . . . the Cuban Castro. Four straight-edged blades went over like a lead balloon. There were new knives still at the dealers years after they were released.

Strictly by the numbers...the three least produced patterns:
64 Babylon Hill Special - 409 made
16 Little Indian Girl Canoe - 479 made
22 Magnum - 480 made

It is hard to correlate this directly to being the least popular though but interesting enough that the 16 is right there :)

The 28 French Kate ranks the 10th least produced @ 1222 made and the Toothpick ranks 30th least produced @ 2766 made (only 541 were Powderhorn Jacks though).

Recently I received an H10 in trade here on the forums and it just showed up. This thing is super thin with the full flat ground. Stainless 440, I love the handle covers! The sheath is nice but would like a second carry option like an inside the pocket sheath anybody know of any?
IMG_20190209_163341.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_163341.jpg
    IMG_20190209_163341.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0
I would love a coffin jack. I know the large coke bottle coming out is similiar though.

You're forgetting the all-time dog . . . the Cuban Castro. Four straight-edged blades went over like a lead balloon. There were new knives still at the dealers years after they were released.

I didn't have any nearly as long as I have canoes and lady legs. Maybe I was smart enough not to stock heavy - I don't recall. Also, there were sfo models of the 4 blade that did fairly well.

I remember eyeing a Pumpkin Patch 66 Jack for weeks on end, dithering. And you know what? it disappeared :eek:;):D And this was a small run 'popular' pattern - it seems like another lifetime;)

Yes, a Coffin Jack would be in order but I think it's quite a complex pattern in terms of finishing. My wants from GEC are unchanging: Small Swayback like CASE's, 3.5" Norfolk with a long master and Rat-Tails, Small Stockman 3 3/8" either square end like Queen's or a Mini Dixie:cool: 3.5 " Swell End/Teardrop with small ringed bolster, how about a Tip Bolster Penknife too?:) Not a big want list eh?;) But something to have in mind:thumbsup:

One of my first GECs is the powderhorn in primitive bone. I love the #12 toothpicks .
I wish I'd scored a canoe but there y go....as for French Kates I didn't fancy the look of them at all.

Hey everyone. New member. Just wanted to introduce myself.
A few weeks ago I went online to add a piece or 2 to a Case collection I started as a kid. Didn’t take long for GEC to pop up on my screen. Now my recycling is filling up with small flat rate boxes.

A few questions:
I have a 97 Brazilian Jigged Wood on order but I’m also leaning towards adding a jig bone. Any word yet on what color we’ll be seeing?

I got a Pemberton in smooth white bone but the bone is neither smooth nor white. It’s more a very slightly jigged “salt and pepper” bone. (Is that a thing? It is now.)
It’s a user so not really important but since I’m new to this I would appreciate your opinions. I’m of 2 minds about it. Part of me appreciates that this is a natural material with inherent variation. If it looked perfect I might as well get white plastic. However, it doesn’t look anything like the pictures I’m seeing on GEC’s and dealers’s sites. If this was your knife, do you keep it for the character, or ask the dealer to replace it?

P.S. - If the first GEC I saw was a French Kate, I would have saved a ton of money .
Thanks!

0FC5E51D-90D5-42E5-9358-DF322EF9FA57.jpeg
9CE52082-700C-405B-8279-99A2C88E3F32.jpeg

Back