Lets talk GEC!

Hey everyone. New member. Just wanted to introduce myself.
A few weeks ago I went online to add a piece or 2 to a Case collection I started as a kid. Didn’t take long for GEC to pop up on my screen. Now my recycling is filling up with small flat rate boxes.

A few questions:
I have a 97 Brazilian Jigged Wood on order but I’m also leaning towards adding a jig bone. Any word yet on what color we’ll be seeing?

I got a Pemberton in smooth white bone but the bone is neither smooth nor white. It’s more a very slightly jigged “salt and pepper” bone. (Is that a thing? It is now.)
It’s a user so not really important but since I’m new to this I would appreciate your opinions. I’m of 2 minds about it. Part of me appreciates that this is a natural material with inherent variation. If it looked perfect I might as well get white plastic. However, it doesn’t look anything like the pictures I’m seeing on GEC’s and dealers’s sites. If this was your knife, do you keep it for the character, or ask the dealer to replace it?

P.S. - If the first GEC I saw was a French Kate, I would have saved a ton of money .
Thanks!

View attachment 1070564
View attachment 1070565
Welcome to the Forums my friend and also the world of GEC traditionals . I personally have no problems with the black specs in the White Bone as long as they don't kind of over whelm the white , but I can see that some people may not like it . I think yours looks pretty nice . I like the Character of yours .

Harry

I got a Pemberton in smooth white bone but the bone is neither smooth nor white. It’s more a very slightly jigged “salt and pepper” bone. (Is that a thing? It is now.)
It’s a user so not really important but since I’m new to this I would appreciate your opinions. I’m of 2 minds about it. Part of me appreciates that this is a natural material with inherent variation. If it looked perfect I might as well get white plastic. However, it doesn’t look anything like the pictures I’m seeing on GEC’s and dealers’s sites. If this was your knife, do you keep it for the character, or ask the dealer to replace it?
View attachment 1070564
View attachment 1070565
That has some fantastic character, I'd be hanging onto that one for its uniqueness.

This has got some potential. Are we talking clip and spey blades? 2019 forum knife?
Clip and Spey would be nice, or Clip and Wharncliffe would probably be popular too.

Hey everyone. New member. Just wanted to introduce myself.
A few weeks ago I went online to add a piece or 2 to a Case collection I started as a kid. Didn’t take long for GEC to pop up on my screen. Now my recycling is filling up with small flat rate boxes.

A few questions:
I have a 97 Brazilian Jigged Wood on order but I’m also leaning towards adding a jig bone. Any word yet on what color we’ll be seeing?

P.S. - If the first GEC I saw was a French Kate, I would have saved a ton of money .
Thanks!

View attachment 1070564
View attachment 1070565

Welcome to BladeForums!

GEC sometimes doesn’t announce what color the jig bone will be. We just eventually find out when they post pictures in the ‘what’s happening’ section.

That smooth white bone certainly does not look jigged to me. As a natural material, it just has more small voids in it. It’s possible that the black is actually just polishing compound stuck in the voids. You could try using a toothbrush and bit of rubbing alcohol to clean it out. Then put a dab of mineral oil on the bone after as the alcohol will dry it out.

Hello all,
Am new on the site and though I would say hello. I love pocket knives, especially GEC ones. It is probably a good job I live in Britain where they are rather hard and expensive to come by, otherwise I suspect I would have a great many more than I do, much to the dismay of my bank account! I hope I can contribute to the discussion. Thanks.

If it was my knife I wouldn't just keep it for character, I would pursue character without a second thought. It's a user so those specks of polishing compound will come out with use. The white bone will mellow and darken with use. It should look like smooth antique bone by the time you wear it out or pass it on to a grandchild. As you use it, anything worth using will get more character--like a saddle. a pair of boots, or a pick up truck. Hopefully you will find it better looking for having gone through time and being a useful part of your experience, just like my wife says finds me better looking for having served her faithfully all these years that somehow pass away with a wink and a smile.

Some photo content, just for Meako . . . feast your eyes! ;)

vM7HP7l.jpg

F7qSAcx.jpg

I find it shocking that the #16s were such a sour seller. They look great, Good size, gorgeous handle materials..

Now the #28 French Kate I wasn't impressed with, at all. It felt so cheap and insubstantial. Action felt terrible. Actually damaged the knife trying to open a bottle with it. It was just terrible. The blade however was thinly ground and scary sharp.

I'm personally not crazy about any toothpick pattern knife, so I can understand those not being popular.

Lots of #38 specials still on the shelves, and understandably. I cannot understand though why the #81 Bull Moose is still in stock in such large numbers. They're really handy little knives, albeit a tad over priced. I love mine around the kitchen.

I find it shocking that the #16s were such a sour seller. They look great, Good size, gorgeous handle materials..

Now the #28 French Kate I wasn't impressed with, at all. It felt so cheap and insubstantial. Action felt terrible. Actually damaged the knife trying to open a bottle with it. It was just terrible. The blade however was thinly ground and scary sharp.

I'm personally not crazy about any toothpick pattern knife, so I can understand those not being popular.

Lots of #38 specials still on the shelves, and understandably. I cannot understand though why the #81 Bull Moose is still in stock in such large numbers. They're really handy little knives, albeit a tad over priced. I love mine around the kitchen.

I still feel that the 38 specials would’ve had a much happier story with a pen secondary, pen configuration.

I can understand that, although I'm a Lockback zealot ;) It's a great size for a Drop-Point, what I could do without is the ridiculous and superfluous lanyard hole:rolleyes: Makes a horrible hole on a small knife with often great Stag or Bone...Lanyard holes, shackles...uh uh:D
Allow me to disagree wholeheartedly.
I wish more manufacturers included lanyard holes.

Edited to define exactly what I am disagreeing with

Last edited:
Back