Lets talk GEC!

This was my post about my 38 Special when I got it and noted how similar it was to the
Powderhorn.

I just got this 38 Special with Tractor Green jigged bone in from Barry @gunstockjack and it resembles GEC's # 12 Powderhorn quite a bit - at least in my eyes. I guess it's how the blades seem to flow into the frames of both knives.

bhUlx6z.jpg

7VVNCYn.jpg

For comparison here's a GEC # 12 Powderhorn in Antique Green jigged bone.

q8A6LEb.jpg

I sure do wish GEC would bring back the # 12 Powderhorn.

97 PPP question for you.
I’ve seen some conflicting information so I’m hoping you can shed some light. According to GEC’s production schedule, which I’m sure is subject to change, the Tidioute jigged bone is scheduled first followed by the jigged cherry and the Micarta.
Does the entire Tidioute run get the PPP mark, or just the jigged bone run, or just the first X number of the jigged bone run?
Thanks guys.
I can't say for sure how it will go down with the 97's...but all of the 44 Tidioutes (most recent PPP) had the PPP etch but the Northfields did not.

I can't say for sure how it will go down with the 97's...but all of the 44 Tidioutes (most recent PPP) had the PPP etch but the Northfields did not.

I believe that's normally the way they do it (but knowing GEC there's probably at least one exception to that "rule"). :D

The Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knife for 2019 is going to be a #97. It sounds like it was pretty much the only option. Not sure what handle material yet either. I sure hope it's the saber with long pull and nail nick version.

QSCgZR6l.jpg

phruO9Pl.jpg

Last edited:
The Allegheny Mountain Knife Collectors Association club knife for 2019 is going to be a #97. It sounds like it was pretty much the only option. Not sure what handle material yet either. I sure hope it's the saber with long pull and nail nick version.

If anyone's interested, I started a knife blog at KnifeThoughts.com. So far I have an article comparing the #71 Bullnose and #21 Bullbuster and another on my new #06 Pemberton in smooth white.

I really like this knife by the way. I think all these on this run have been great. Wish I could have them all! haha

QSCgZR6l.jpg

phruO9Pl.jpg

I’m really looking forward to the 2 blade Northfields. I think that’ll be the sweet spot for me.

97 PPP question for you.
I’ve seen some conflicting information so I’m hoping you can shed some light. According to GEC’s production schedule, which I’m sure is subject to change, the Tidioute jigged bone is scheduled first followed by the jigged cherry and the Micarta.
Does the entire Tidioute run get the PPP mark, or just the jigged bone run, or just the first X number of the jigged bone run?
Thanks guys.

From what I’ve seen in the past, the first run of a pattern gets the PPP. That means the first ‘brand’ GEC runs in the pattern. Most of them are Tidioutes because that’s typically what they run first. The only Northfield I recall havin that etch is the 98 Texas Camp Knife. The Bladeforums #35 also bears the PPP etch. Just because they’ve increased production doesn’t mean they’ll stop doing the entire run. All of the 44 Tidioutes have the etch.

This was my post about my 38 Special when I got it and noted how similar it was to the
Powderhorn.

I just got this 38 Special with Tractor Green jigged bone in from Barry @gunstockjack and it resembles GEC's # 12 Powderhorn quite a bit - at least in my eyes. I guess it's how the blades seem to flow into the frames of both knives.

bhUlx6z.jpg

7VVNCYn.jpg

For comparison here's a GEC # 12 Powderhorn in Antique Green jigged bone.

q8A6LEb.jpg

I sure do wish GEC would bring back the # 12 Powderhorn.

Ed, I agree, the Powderhorn is a fantastic pattern. I’ve always liked Toothpicks. I wonder if it didn’t do well because the end cap is so large? I don’t have a picture of my Powderhorn, but I almost feel that the regular toothpick is a bit closer to the 38 Special because of the Turkish Clip.....

2vkhymc.jpg

Stropping Young Lad Stropping Young Lad I think that 79 is now in your possession?!

B B.F.U Very much like the acrylic on that 22, can you remind me what it is please? Church Glass? Looks a treat:cool:

Thanks, Will

That sir is Sea Glass. The percrylics are, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful cover options GEC has ever made. Its such a shame they don't do them anymore.

Correct! It's one of the prettiest handle materials I've seen. My Fiancee even likes it! But it does seem to have warped slightly in some places.

The forum knife thread has me wondering if the 86 is next after the 97s, or a little further down the road?

That saber ground sheepfoot on the GEC proposal knife looks sweet!

I would love to see saber ground clips on some of the regular run.

The forum knife thread has me wondering if the 86 is next after the 97s, or a little further down the road?

That saber ground sheepfoot on the GEC proposal knife looks sweet!

I would love to see saber ground clips on some of the regular run.

Not everyone likes the saber ground sheepsfoot... I think it’s awesome though. That’s the kind of unusual run you have to snap up!

I think the 29 (or something else) will be between the 97 and 86, if we’re getting the forum knife at the end of summer.

Not everyone likes the saber ground sheepsfoot... I think it’s awesome though. That’s the kind of unusual run you have to snap up!

I think the 29 (or something else) will be between the 97 and 86, if we’re getting the forum knife at the end of summer.
I had no idea when the forum knife was scheduled. I reckon the 97s will take quite a while.

I'm neither here nor there about saber grind blades. I just like that it will be a unique offering and think it is so cool of GEC to do that for us.

Yes I have little to no interest in a Buck fixed blade either. I'm not much of a shill, but the 86 in a saber ground sheepsfoot presents an opportunity to make a knife styled right out of the 19th century. All steel construction with a short rat tail bolster, hardwood handle (snakewood or bloodwood), barehead with a bar shield perhaps.

But if the Great Eastern collectors don't get over to the 2019 Annual thread and vote, it may well be a Buck fixed blade this year.

Yes I have little to no interest in a Buck fixed blade either. I'm not much of a shill, but the 86 in a saber ground sheepsfoot presents an opportunity to make a knife styled right out of the 19th century. All steel construction with a short rat tail bolster, hardwood handle (snakewood or bloodwood), barehead with a bar shield perhaps.

But if the Great Eastern collectors don't get over to the 2019 Annual thread and vote, it may well be a Buck fixed blade this year.
I posted this image over there in the poll. I want this so badly now!

Back