Lets talk GEC!

I think I remember folks having problems with the 2011 forum knife's cap lifter. Many of them had to be modified to function properly. I could be wrong but that's what I seem to remember.

Maybe GEC tweaked it because of that.
You're right on that, Rick. I took a file to mine and at least it works now.

You're right on that, Rick. I took a file to mine and at least it works now.

Thanks, Gary.

After further review, I think I might have been only half right. Those were in fact, slightly defective but looking closer at the pic that J jsdistin posted I see that his newer knife has the same type of cap lifter that was on the 2011 forum knife. I had assumed that the older knife had the same cap lifter. If GEC tweaked the 2011 version like I assumed then there would be a third one.

The tweak wasn't so much in the shape of the driver, but in the little hook that actually lifts the cap.
The cutouts weren't deep enough to work well.

6E9C5942-C55C-46AC-923E-1BA4F876EB06.jpeg 30D3B36D-BFE7-4252-9A29-18FFEB7B0D87.jpeg The main functional difference I saw is where the fulcrum rests on the bottle cap on the two different lifters which could account for perceived problems as well. The one without the knife attached due to just starting a project is from a 2014 radio knife (with the fulcrum more towards the middle of the cap) and the other one is from a 2013 radio knife (with the fulcrum more toward the edge). I would have thought the one from the 2014 was the newer one but if it was on the forum knife in 2011 that would make it older. It would also have been used before and after the other one.
The mystery deepens.
Railsplitter Railsplitter

I may have misunderstood, but it sounds like based on Charlie’s comments in the 93 thread that the two blades will be different. I got the impression that the one is a lambs foot and one will be a sheeps foot.
I think Charlie was describing the difference between the two blade shapes in general. GEC has already done several sheep foot blades.

I am curious though which tang number they are going to use for the "ram's foot" because they already have C as the lambs foot blade...maybe they just use the same. Per the production totals, the lambs foot was used once before for a Charlie SFO 15C115 Ancient Barlow.

The 93C119?

I think Charlie was describing the difference between the two blade shapes in general. GEC has already done several sheep foot blades.

I am curious though which tang number they are going to use for the "ram's foot" because they already have C as the lambs foot blade...maybe they just use the same. Per the production totals, the lambs foot was used once before for a Charlie SFO 15C115 Ancient Barlow.

The 93C119?
I don’t know about the numbers, but the Lambsfoot is going to be Waynorth Cutlery.

I don’t know about the numbers, but the Lambsfoot is going to be Waynorth Cutlery.
Correct. I was referring to the rams foot...assuming it will have a stamp just not sure if it will be 93C119 or a new designation :thumbsup:

waverave waverave - I’m still not sure on the blades, but Charlie said that the rams foot will be big and wide with a spine parallel to the blade. I think it sounds like a different blade than the lambs foot he will have on the SFO.

I don’t own a lambs foot so I was hoping they would all have that blade to increase the chance of getting one, but after reading Charlie’s comments I took it to mean only a lambs foot on his SFO.

waverave waverave - I’m still not sure on the blades, but Charlie said that the rams foot will be big and wide with a spine parallel to the blade. I think it sounds like a different blade than the lambs foot he will have on the SFO.

I don’t own a lambs foot so I was hoping they would all have that blade to increase the chance of getting one, but after reading Charlie’s comments I took it to mean only a lambs foot on his SFO.
I think youre right...reading back through his comments he does specify the rams foot will be different. I misunderstood what Chris told me at the show...and stand corrected! :):thumbsup:

I think youre right...reading back through his comments he does specify the rams foot will be different. I misunderstood what Chris told me at the show...and stand corrected! :):thumbsup:
Uh, oh. The Guardian's thread will be inundated with pictures of Rams (sheepfoot) from people who think they are the proud new owners of lambs. :confused:

th

Ram Foot

Lamb Foot

th

Just a question of size...;):D

Back