1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Yeah I've had a few of each of the Madison, 74, and 71 patterns. Out of them, I think it like the #74 the best. It'd make a great curved Barlow.

MerryMadMonk and tmd_87 like this.
  2. tstaut

tstaut

Jan 6, 2012
    Y'all are re-awakening my dream of a GEC stainless barlow with an acorn bolster stamp.

tmd_87 and L.H.S like this.
  3. Behr95

Behr95 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Mine has the 47P116 stang stamp and the same on the cap of the tube. Very interesting.

4. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    What one might look like with two-tone micarta...
    [​IMG]
    not a Barlow in the classic sense, but certainly a nod in that direction.

5. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Someone posed the question somewhere so I asked Chris Tucker...and she doesn't know what is coming next after the #93 and before the #86. Hoping the #29 but could be something totally unexpected which is also exciting.

6. lee4

lee4

Mar 12, 2018
    Is it more or less understood that the #29 will be a whittler configuration? One of the things I like about the 29 is the straight clip blade, meaning the blade doesn't droop down, so the tip is about lined up with the center line of the handle. I've posed this question elsewhere but not gotten an answer: What's the historical or functional reason for having the drooped down curve of a clip blade? The 86 droops, and the 97 has an exaggerated droop, probably because of the narrow Coke bottle neck and the length of the blade. Any info on "straight" vs. "droop" clip blades would be appreciated. To me a "straight" clip blade is more aesthetically pleasing, but I know GEC doesn't make any design decision by accident.

Lee

L.H.S, gaj999 and waverave like this.
  7. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Idk about historically, but it helps with pull cuts and making more of the blade easily usable.

Buzzbait likes this.
  8. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    If you’re asking about the “cant” of a blade, angling downward from the pivot, I understand that this is a functional consideration. It allows more power to be put into the cut. I also find canted blades to be more comfortable during longer sessions of cutting. The main blade in a knife like the Case 6445R scout knife has an almost absurd amount of cant, yet it is wonderfully ergonomic in actual use.

If I’m doing a lot of precise tip work, I don’t like cant. I want that blade tip to be straight in line with the pivot and the frame. If I’m just doing a lot of utility cutting, I love a canted blade.

Shurke, Travman, gaj999 and 4 others like this.
  9. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    When you think of the cutting edge of a knife being presented to a workpiece, think of the way a Guillotine is presented to a neck..... It is a shearing cut which is typically more efficient than a chopping cut...… Our woodturning members of The Porch can relate in that spindle work is generally sheared and faceplate work is generally scraped...….. So the cutlers puts the cutting edge on a bias to the axis of the handle...…… But with every tool that becomes the extension of a workers hands, its method of use is personalized..… So how one chap holds his beloved Lamsfoot isn't the way his neighbor uses his...….. So, every absolute to knife use is only what works for it's master...….. Fortunately cutlers throw a ton of options at our feet for our personal whims and desires... It is a wonderful situation to be in, only limited by the thickness of your wallet...…….. So Lambsfoot, Ramsfoot,Sheepsfoot and Rabbitsfoot are just different shapes for doing the task of cutting something......

10. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    The “cant” doesn’t matter to me...I just open Amazon boxes.

Buzzbait likes this.
  11. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Is the H30 a new pattern? I don’t recall it being offered previously

12. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    No, I believe it will have three springs.

JohnDF likes this.
  13. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Appears to be a new offering...

7 3/4 inches, cut swedge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutfinger, zolthar, dman62 and 3 others like this.
  14. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Three springs, but a whittler blade configuration of master blade opposite two secondaries.

r8shell likes this.
  15. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Me too! :D

[​IMG]

16. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    :cool::thumbsup:

17. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Like this?[​IMG]
    Smaller?

18. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    I fancy that one :cool::thumbsup:

Great idea to have two-tone Micarta, it's a Shadow but gives the illusion of a bolster:cool: Too radical for GEC's mind-set I suspect ;)

CVamberbonehead and MerryMadMonk like this.
  19. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I bet you , GEC is saving the best for last . I am guessing we will see this knife in August or September. I wish GEC would make this knife in smooth oily creek bone with a guitar. Rock Around the Clock" was 65 years old this year. 4/12/2019

tmd_87, cigarrodog and r8shell like this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I just bought a GEC leather belt sheath lg & sm , my #97 Allegheny knives fit perfect in that sheath.

Old Engineer likes this.