1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. lee4

lee4

Mar 12, 2018
    Love that sawcut bone! I sure wish they'd make more sawcut handles... Dark red, caramel brown, chestnut brown, gotta be others that are equally beautiful. Speaking of handle covers, does anyone know what "Copperhead Pony Cut Bone" looks like? Better yet, can anyone post an example? It sounds fantastic, remembering the recent 82 copperhead bone that was so good looking. What's "pony cut" mean?

Lee

2. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I am happy to see GEC has stopped producing patterns I like for a while. I don’t mean this facetiously, but I have often wondered why go to the trouble of making an intricate and expensive knife in an unappealing pattern and a boring handle scale (like the 47 with a pruner blade and plastic handles) when you don’t have to, and could spend your time doing the opposite.

Sure, the demand for the more special patterns goes up, but there is a huge opportunity cost involved in denying the collector market the knives they want.

Likely someone understands the market dynamics better than I.

meako likes this.
  3. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Why do you assume they don't have to? It was asserted they were running some patterns they had leftover parts for. Due to not having material for the current run. So an owner saving work to keep from shutting down for a week due to logistical delays to keep a pay check in his employees pocket, sounds like good business to me. Not to mention they are selling just fine.

cigarrodog likes this.
  4. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    This is Chestnut Pony Cut. Copperhead pony cut would likely be fairly similar.
    20190304_180436.jpg

MJ71, dman62, Jolipapa and 12 others like this.
  5. TX Traditional

TX Traditional Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I don’t have the time in this hobby that most of you do but I like the current paradigm of producing runs big enough to meet demand while also putting out SFOs in numbers limited enough to satisfy collectors. I enjoy buying both and don’t plan on slowing down.

meako, HEMI 49, Elgatodeacero and 5 others like this.
  6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    You can clean your teeth with them.

meako, Jathes, t.willy and 3 others like this.
  7. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I chose the wrong knife to use as my example.

I fully endorse those short parts runs, and the mix of large runs and short filler runs.

My comment about ‘don’t have to’ is a reference to large runs of more standard knives, which could be made more interesting - the most obvious example being the decision on colour and choice of jigging pattern. I think Knifeswapper and the others with SFOs give a really good illustration of this. Their knives are no more expensive but so much more flavoursome than the more standard offerings.

Ajd3530, meako, t.willy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I understand your point now thanks for the
    clarification.

9. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd love to go back through this thread and map the ups and downs of opinion on the size of runs etc. etc.

I've seen a few of the hills and valleys. I have little opinion on it. I have not really seen a big difference in my access to the knives I want.

The one good thing about the shorter runs is that I could get a knife and be sure that if I didn't like it I could sell it easily without losing money. But I also appreciate the other side of that coin, that there are knives available on shelves.

10. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I dont feel the 97 model 5000 piece run is that crazy large of a run, since there were 11 or 12 variations, with some variations being short runs, and others like stag also limited.

Buck, one of my favorite makers, makes millions of knives each year and even they are still collectible due to short runs of high volume models.

Not reasonable for GEC to survive, improve process and machinery, continue great design, be profitable for owners, etc. on runs of 25, 100 or 1250 knives.

also, 97's will not be made for a long time, though I am hoping for a lock back version 97LB.

As GEC continues its success, even the runs being made currently in "large for GEC" numbers will be very hard to find.

11. robbobus

robbobus Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 4, 2009
    A 97 mid-lock would be phenomenal.

Ajd3530 likes this.
  12. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Dear GEC,

Please make an gabon ebony toothpick. Also I'd like a Northfield Pemberton in jigged elderberry. A #38 Special in white bone might be nice as well.

Thank you,
    ~Me

Will Power, tmd_87 and meako like this.
  13. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Please make something in snakewood with a cap lifter

[​IMG]

14. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    What a wonderful idea !

15. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I have one arm. Single blade knives are so much easier to open. If I see a cool two or three bladed knife , I buy it.

Old Engineer and Jolipapa like this.
  16. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    sold out in less than 4 minutes

Jolipapa likes this.
  17. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I bought 11 #97s.

Old Engineer likes this.
  18. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Chestnut is a poor choice for knife scales. Too soft , not really a hard wood.

Old Engineer and Will Power like this.
  19. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    They stabilize any wood handles to strengthen the material. Basically impregnating the fibers with resin under pressure.

t.willy and Onearmbladenut like this.
  20. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    ft
    They should with single blades.