1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. stevekolt

stevekolt KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2007
    First, prayers for Chris and her family. Second, I am definitely up for a single bladed GEC with a guitar shield. Bring it! (And I have no idea what oily creek bone looks like...)

2. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Here's an Oily Creek #14.
    IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4372.JPG

meako, boykinlp, 2Dead and 7 others like this.
  3. stevekolt

stevekolt KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2007
    Thank you railsplitter. All I can say is, yes please!

Railsplitter likes this.
  4. H2O2HI

H2O2HI Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2016
    Holy smokes! You should be renamed "Hawkeye! I reserved it in jigged bone. Bummer.

5. stevekolt

Jan 9, 2007
    Here is my meager, yet growing collection. The top is the first one I bought, 06 - didn't realize it would be this small, next purchase was the 97, and I didn't realize it would be this big. Next purchase was the 43, nice but a little on the large side, 77 my perfect size, along with a 74, also a good size for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  6. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I've spoken with Chris a good number of times at the Rendezvous, random visits to the factory, and on the phone. She was always helpful and a big personality. She even helped me to get the 2016 Rendezvous Special when I thought I had gotten there too late and missed out on it. I hope everything goes well for her, and I hope GEC is able to move forward the right way without her. I am sure it will be difficult.

Half/Stop, 2Dead, Augie and 3 others like this.
  7. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    I’ve only “spoken” with Chris a couple of times via e-mail, and she was exceptionally courteous and professional. I hope whatever issues she is experiencing are resolved quickly and to her satisfaction.

meako and TFBraden like this.
  8. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Chris and I have had many talks about retirement (I always said that I would have to if she ever did). It is something she has wanted to do for some time. But I think her upcoming medical procedures helped her to realize it may be time. It was tough hanging the "Great Eastern Cutlery" sign in their empty booth with an apology that they wouldn't be at Blade.

9. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Another example of Oily Creek on a 77.

[​IMG]

tmd_87, Dschal, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  10. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    It's happening...

[​IMG]

11. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Nice. I was going thru "Work in Progress Pictures" withdraw.

12. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Well that escalated quickly.

Boxer .45 likes this.
  13. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    It is available, at least one dealer has it.

tmd_87 likes this.
  14. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Only met Chris at the one rendezvous I attended and spoke to her prior to arriving, you meet her once and it's like you've known her for years, she's a peach:thumbsup: Prayers from ND to Chris and her family:):thumbsup:

meako, Augie, tmd_87 and 2 others like this.
  15. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    The two times that I have needed help from GECs office, Chris has been very helpful, efficient and quick. I hope any health issues are minor and the best of luck to her.

traumkommode, tmd_87 and TFBraden like this.
  16. lee4

lee4

Mar 12, 2018
    Steve, that's a very nice collection! My eye goes straight to the BF 77, my current grail knife. Just a perfect size, the blade is perfectly done, and the stag and shield are very nice. Your 43 looks a lot like mine, not much brown frontier bark left on it. I wonder when they're going to produce another run of 77s? I haven't been able to get in on any of the CK SFOs, we really need another regular run. Since they've been doing small/big runs (sodbusters, Coke bottles) a 77 run would be perfect in preparation for the new 86 run. Just sayin'.

tmd_87 likes this.
  17. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    4DD32E76-C289-4AC7-B5EF-4CE92387C015.jpeg 863B2607-4A31-41AA-BC61-41456EC10271.jpeg F2BD9A6F-FAC9-48B1-A256-FF2DC6CAD139.jpeg

Charlie outdid himself with these elegant Lambsfoot knives. I cannot wait to see the finished product. They look like they could have been made 200 years ago! The Master does it again! Look at that jigging, tang stamp, and the shape of the blade and handle! Congratulations Charlie, @waynorth !

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    meako, Old Engineer, zolthar and 6 others like this.
  18. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Certainly so Greg

Leslie Tomville likes this.
  19. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    My first GEC. Father's Day present from my wife. 2007 GEC #73EC in snakewood. Never used, never carried. I'm over the moon. Just a beautiful knife, machining, fit, finish, snap are amazing. The pull, particularly on the main blade, is ridiculously strong. Not quite sure on your rating system, but Kim can't open it. Serialized 051, blade says 1 of 150. Couple of questions. Their production chart says 93 of these were produced in 2007, so I assume this is one of 93 that were actually built, and they just never hit the 150 cap? My second question is, should I carry it? I don't care about the future value of the knife, it's not going to be sold or traded. I've never owned ANYTHING that was a shelf queen. If I buy something it gets used, some more gently than others. I'm thinking of buying a slip and carrying it occasionally on office days. Won't get any hard use there. Just wondering if others with similar knives carry theirs on occasion. Don't want anything to happen to it, but assuming in a slip and used indoors would be pretty safe. Even in the hot, humid (Houston area) climate we live in. Thanks.

[​IMG]DSC_0017 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0021 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

20. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    I came to the same conclusion. Patterns between 3 1/2 inch and 3 3/4 inch seem to work best for me.
    3 1/2 (#15 and #66) small enough for watch pocket carry, yet still usable amount of blade
    and 3 3/4 (#35,#71 and #73) for main pocket carry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, any info about whether there are any TC or NF barlows comming out this year?

L.H.S, Fox79, Travman and 7 others like this.