Lets talk GEC!

For over a month ,I have been begging GEC to make a #86 smooth oily creek bone knife with a guitar shield in single blade. 4/12/2019 "Rock Around the Clock" is 65 years old. I just read that the GEC#93 Tidioute knife will be in natural Oily Creek Bone. Guitar shield or not , I am truly thankful. That #93 Ram's Foot knife will look killer in Natural Oily Creek bone !
First, prayers for Chris and her family. Second, I am definitely up for a single bladed GEC with a guitar shield. Bring it! (And I have no idea what oily creek bone looks like...)

Here is my meager, yet growing collection. The top is the first one I bought, 06 - didn't realize it would be this small, next purchase was the 97, and I didn't realize it would be this big. Next purchase was the 43, nice but a little on the large side, 77 my perfect size, along with a 74, also a good size for me.

popqpZq.jpg

Last edited:
I've spoken with Chris a good number of times at the Rendezvous, random visits to the factory, and on the phone. She was always helpful and a big personality. She even helped me to get the 2016 Rendezvous Special when I thought I had gotten there too late and missed out on it. I hope everything goes well for her, and I hope GEC is able to move forward the right way without her. I am sure it will be difficult.

I’ve only “spoken” with Chris a couple of times via e-mail, and she was exceptionally courteous and professional. I hope whatever issues she is experiencing are resolved quickly and to her satisfaction.

Chris and I have had many talks about retirement (I always said that I would have to if she ever did). It is something she has wanted to do for some time. But I think her upcoming medical procedures helped her to realize it may be time. It was tough hanging the "Great Eastern Cutlery" sign in their empty booth with an apology that they wouldn't be at Blade.

Here is my meager, yet growing collection. The top is the first one I bought, 06 - didn't realize it would be this small, next purchase was the 97, and I didn't realize it would be this big. Next purchase was the 43, nice but a little on the large side, 77 my perfect size, along with a 74, also a good size for me.

Steve, that's a very nice collection! My eye goes straight to the BF 77, my current grail knife. Just a perfect size, the blade is perfectly done, and the stag and shield are very nice. Your 43 looks a lot like mine, not much brown frontier bark left on it. I wonder when they're going to produce another run of 77s? I haven't been able to get in on any of the CK SFOs, we really need another regular run. Since they've been doing small/big runs (sodbusters, Coke bottles) a 77 run would be perfect in preparation for the new 86 run. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
My first GEC. Father's Day present from my wife. 2007 GEC #73EC in snakewood. Never used, never carried. I'm over the moon. Just a beautiful knife, machining, fit, finish, snap are amazing. The pull, particularly on the main blade, is ridiculously strong. Not quite sure on your rating system, but Kim can't open it. Serialized 051, blade says 1 of 150. Couple of questions. Their production chart says 93 of these were produced in 2007, so I assume this is one of 93 that were actually built, and they just never hit the 150 cap? My second question is, should I carry it? I don't care about the future value of the knife, it's not going to be sold or traded. I've never owned ANYTHING that was a shelf queen. If I buy something it gets used, some more gently than others. I'm thinking of buying a slip and carrying it occasionally on office days. Won't get any hard use there. Just wondering if others with similar knives carry theirs on occasion. Don't want anything to happen to it, but assuming in a slip and used indoors would be pretty safe. Even in the hot, humid (Houston area) climate we live in. Thanks.

DSC_0017 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

DSC_0021 by Chris Thayer, on Flickr

I came to the same conclusion. Patterns between 3 1/2 inch and 3 3/4 inch seem to work best for me.
3 1/2 (#15 and #66) small enough for watch pocket carry, yet still usable amount of blade
and 3 3/4 (#35,#71 and #73) for main pocket carry.
IMG-20190615-161630.jpg

IMG-8856-JPG-big.jpg

IMG-8741.jpg

BTW, any info about whether there are any TC or NF barlows comming out this year?

Back