1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    The #73 I just posted above was my first GEC and excuse I used to spend that amount of money on a folder was, that it is going to commemorate the birth of my first child (both saw the light of the world in 2015). As you can see I carry and use it. In my experience I get much more joy from a knife that I actually use.

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    X2 :cool: :thumbsup:

3. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Thanks guys. That’s the way I was leaning. Beautiful as it is, it was made for a purpose. Be a shame for it to never fulfill it ha ha. Guess I’m in the market for a slip.

4. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    That's a beauty! Congratulations.

In 2007, I'm pretty sure GEC used consecutive serial numbers throughout a pattern run without regard to handle material.

5. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Still any love for the #35 Churchill's?

I have an opportunity to grab one.

Old Engineer likes this.
  6. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    35 Churchill is a wonderful knife, I highly recommend it. I just brought the thread back up top so you can go through it.

nyrico, FSU1992, Pinemoon and 3 others like this.
  7. Jordan@DLT

[email protected] Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Jul 22, 2014
    Yep, the #35 is what got me back into traditional knives, it's such a phenomenal size and blade combo, incredibly useful and has killer looks too! Mine gets carried most days, and it always makes me happy to have it in my pocket.

8. Ron Sabbagh

Sep 15, 1999
    Thanks for the nudge, guys. I'm a fan of the equal end pattern and I'm liking what I hear about the strong back spring and slightly thicker blade steel.

#35 Tidioute Cougar Claw on the way!

FSU1992, Jathes, Pinemoon and 6 others like this.
  9. jsdistin

jsdistin Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

May 27, 2016
    Definitely use it. They’re really sturdy knives, especially the older ones. Looks like there were some more made under factory exclusives but yes they were probably shooting for 150 but fell short.

ktataragasi likes this.
  10. Ron Sabbagh

Sep 15, 1999
    First of all congrats on the knife. It's a beauty. And congrats on a thoughtful wife.

So if you're a dad..you have at least 1 kid. I have 3.

Let me try to put the knife question "use or don't use" into perspective.

When I take my family of 5 out to dinner we generally have a great time. Price is $80 - $150 depending on Chinese or local seafood place. I have no qualms about spending that cash for a good meal. Roughly the same price of 1 GEC knife.

Now, that dinner was one night of good memories. Your GEC, for about the same price, should give you years of memories. And don't forget there is a team in Titusville that can give it a spa treatment if ever needed.

No question. Use it and enjoy the memories.

2Dead, blademan 13, pmek5 and 2 others like this.
  11. cjtamu

cjtamu Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2018
    LOL @Ron Sabbagh. My 2 older kids are in there 30’s with their own kids. Youngest just completed her sophomore year of college. Hate to tell you, but you’re getting off light right now! Ha ha ha.

Use/don’t use had nothing to do with knife value, I’ll never sell it. Just such a beautiful, pristine piece of equipment from their early runs. I’d hate to be the one to mess up a piece of GEC history. The fact it can go in for spa if I do something dumb makes me feel better. Slip for it is on the way, will be in my pocket soon. Thanks for the post.

Ron Sabbagh likes this.
  12. BetterCallSal

BetterCallSal

Mar 22, 2018
    I wish Christine Tucker all the best in her recovery. She has always been able to answer my questions with kindness as a passionate collector and I really appreciated her answers to my emails.

13. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Has GEC ever made a full-sized Trapper?
    It's a pattern that's become one of my favorites.

14. jrawk

jrawk

Jul 14, 2014
    I guess it all depends on your definition of full sized trapper.
    [​IMG]

Prester John, Boxer .45 and JohnDF like this.
  15. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    The 48 pattern looks like a trapper, and GEC often names the pattern that way (e.g., "Traditional Trapper", "Western Trapper"), but the closed length is usually 3 7/8", probably a quarter inch short of what many would call full-sized.It looks like in 2015, they ran the 48 patterns at 4", which is closer.

- GT

Prester John, cigarrodog and Pinemoon like this.
  16. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    GT, I'm pretty sure all the different releases of the #48 are the same size frame. I've owned #48s that were made in 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017; they all measured between 3.88 and 3.90 inches closed.

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the corrections based on actual "real world" products, Jeff. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I was going by "ivory tower" research of lengths listed on GEC's "Knife Releases by Patterns" pages on their website, and I think there are several cases of known inaccuracies there. The lengths given for the 2015 48s are apparently another example.
    (That there would be a run with a change in the frame size seemed unlikely, but if you can't trust information you find on the internet, what CAN you trust??? :rolleyes::D)

- GT

18. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks gentlemen!
    I'll investigate the 48.

cigarrodog likes this.
  19. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The #48 is a great knife :D but I guess it would be more of a slimline pattern. The #23 jrawk posted above is probably the fullest trapper GEC has made at 4 1/2" closed while the #73 is probably the most popular at 3 3/4" closed. In between is the #42 Missouri Trapper. Its 4 1/4" closed with the wider handle shapes of the #23 and #73.

Pinemoon likes this.
  20. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Fox79 and Travman like this.