1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Don't mind me, I've always been a contrarian. I usually sound like my kids did when they were little. Why? But, why?

dispatch184 and ArchVV like this.
  2. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    I remember that shift as well. I bought my first 110 in 1973 a week or so before my 13th birthday. I had been carrying scout knives and once I had that “Folding Hunter” those old fashioned pocket knives were thrown into a tool or tackle box. I still have that 110 today (and the original paperwork that I failed to mail in).

3. Stratkat

Stratkat

May 16, 2019
    What work and risk? I’ve been carrying a cap lifter for years and the only maintenence I do is oil it every now and then! I live in Virginia and it’s quite humid here, never had a spot of rust on it.

tmd_87 likes this.
  4. Stratkat

Stratkat

May 16, 2019
    What work and risk? I’ve been carrying a cap lifter for years and the only maintenence I do is oil it every now and then! I live in Virginia and it’s quite humid here, never had a spot of rust on it.

5. Markeologist

Markeologist Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Never said any such thing about being a new tool or having a different use. In your attempt to be clever you failed to read carefully. What I indicated was that the 110 was a drastic departure (in design) from what had come before and marked a change in what constituted a pocket knife (where stainless steel had no such impact to that perception). To flesh out a bit more (no pun intended) because of the 110s incredible popularity it was quickly copied by every major knife manufacturer. Slip joints were replaced by these larger locking folders (battleship curve stuff, go read Deetz). By the late 1970s you could buy thumb studs to attach to your 110. There were also sheaths that automatically opened the blade as you drew the knife. This ability to quickly open a big locking folding knife led to the numerous one handed lock blades we see today....and why today classic slip joint pocket knives (to avoid the term traditional here) represent a relatively small niche in the marketplace (save for the SAK which is a whole other story).

gaj999, TFBraden and Jiki like this.
  6. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @Markeologist
    I'm not sure the James Deetz reference works but rereading your explanation makes sense. As I mentioned before I'm a contrarian that tends to question everything. I believe our discipline has a tendency to be too smart for it's own good. I don't know what the hell that has to do with our hobby but it's all good.

Prester John likes this.
  7. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Any guesses/predictions on what the rendezvous knives might be?

[​IMG]

8. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm gonna just guess and say something on the #93 frame...or by then the #29....

Kiteman72 and Ramrodmb like this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    No doubt, but carbon requires constant use and maintenance.

My Beer Scout has lived on a nail in the kitchen, the atmosphere is usually very dry in winter 15% humidity. I use it to slice fruits and open bottles and it has certainly developed both black spotty patina AND rust plus brass bleed. The bone has not stood up too well to use either, having cracks etc but that's another matter. My carbon knives-a majority of my collection-need to be actively used every day or else stored away very carefully otherwise corrosion can take hold very soon. For this reason, I would like to have more knives in stainless, where possible.

Thanks, Will

AmosPaul, Pinemoon and Jolipapa like this.
  10. H2O2HI

H2O2HI

Jul 23, 2016
    So is it racism if someone doesn’t like machetes?

Ramrodmb likes this.
  11. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Based on the new button, I'm going to guess French Kate! (of some kind).

Probably some kinds of special 93s as well.

Cutfinger, tmd_87 and Ramrodmb like this.
  12. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    ;)

I'll bet it'll be something cool, not a new knife but with a new feature GEC hasn't done before.

Ramrodmb likes this.
  13. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Now, who wouldn't want one of those? ;)

14. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    I'll take it!

MerryMadMonk likes this.
  15. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That doesn't reflect my message.
    If one were to argue that machetes have no place in the knife community, then yes, it would be knife racism.

Deriding stainless and saying it has no place in our traditional community is a from of racism. At least in my mind :)

16. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Knives are not a race, it would be bigotry.

Cutfinger, Pinemoon and gaj999 like this.
  17. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Ok, call it what you will. Suffice it to say that bigotry has no place here either.

Jiki likes this.
  18. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    I have my preferences. But man, I like knives. :)

JD Bear and Will Power like this.
  19. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Some of you guys are being a little silly. :rolleyes:

dispatch184, L.H.S, Ramrodmb and 2 others like this.
  20. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Let's call it cutlerphobia and have a march.

Elgatodeacero, lamco3 and Ramrodmb like this.