Lets talk GEC!

...beeswax/mineral oil combo...that would work just as well and provide some oiling benefit (not to mention the sweet honey smell).

Being in nature and having pocket smelling of sweet honey is a recipe for some unpleasant encounters with small creatures in my book. But then, a swelling of certain body parts could be welcomed under right circumstances.

As for knife, I would bring it with me with confidence. In my experience I find carbon steel rusting far less than commonly believed. And I live in rainy costal climate. Just check that thread about GEC made mudbug sitting on a shed roof for more than a month in the winter, that was posted while ago on this thread.

Actually it would be nice experiment to take along also some carbon steel opinel, oil and pamper the GEC and doing all the rest with opinel, taking it down to the beach etc. without taking too much care of it. (Wiping down the blade after use is advisable though.) I would enjoy seeing how those two blades fare.

Last edited:
I'm not left-handed, but I picked one of those up a while back just because they're unique.

pXFcD5Y.jpg

5VCfBhh.jpg

vZTJT2q.jpg

That was actually my first (and so far only) #73, but it's definitely got me wanting more! :D

This part of your post reminded me of an old photo from a few years back. This was the first GEC group photo I ever took, a few months after I discovered the company. My GEC collection has grown a bit since then, but I do still have all of these knives but one. (I'm still kicking myself for selling that Ancient TC. :mad: :D)

aTDBWcY.jpg

I always thought that one was really cool. I wish they'd use that Micarta more often. (Have they used it on anything other than that one #15 Scout?)

What is the green jigged bone one and what color green?

I found it. Stallion in Spring Green. Thanks

Last edited:
Being in nature and having pocket smelling of sweet honey is a recipe for some unpleasant encounters with small creatures in my book. But then, a swelling of certain body parts could be welcomed under right circumstances.

As for knife, I would bring it with me with confidence. In my experience I find carbon steel rusting far less than commonly believed. And I live in rainy costal climate. Just check that thread about GEC made mudbug sitting on a shed roof for more than a month in the winter, that was posted while ago on this thread.

Actually it would be nice experiment to take along also some carbon steel opinel, oil and pamper the GEC and doing all the rest with opinel, taking it down to the beach etc. without taking too much care of it. (Wiping down the blade after use is advisable though.) I would enjoy seeing how those two blades fare.
I have found 2 things over 50 years of carrying knives, nearly all carbon. You do have to oil the blades occasionally, especially if you are not going to use them for a prolonged period. But 2 things that are grossly overlooked by a lot of people, wipe the blade clean after use, and dry it with a rag or your jean leg or whatever. The 2 things that are the enemy of all things edged, Dirt and Moisture. I have seen knives from old bush men that have never been oiled, just kept clean and dry, with not a sign of rust. Hope you all have a good week.

I am anxiously waiting for my first GEC knife :)
Thing is ... we are planing a 10 day camping vacation by the ocean in Prince Edward Island.
I just realized it may not be the best idea to bring it along ... but how could I leave it behind ?
Will it be ok if I oiled it on a daily basis ? ... or the proximity to the ocean breeze, salt and sand will be damge the carbon steel and it's not worth to bring it along |?
What many fail to realize is that pocket knives are a disposable item. Attractive, useful, but disposable. And when we are gone, they will be a mere curiosity.

Nah. Whatever floats your boat. One of my favorite people is a knife fondler and ogler of the highest order.

You’re right- I just get bitter when collectors buy up all the knives I like before I can get to them and never use them. I’ll get over it; they keep GEC in business... and they take amazing pictures... that I ogle while I fondle my users. A real pot and kettle situation.

Rust in peace

*rimshot*

That’s actually why I own a opinel- I wanted to test out carbon steel rusting behavior before I felt comfortable using my #35 on everything. Its now my mobile food prep knife when I help cook at the in-laws (they have this ronco cutlery knives that supposedly never go dull... lol. They are dull.).

I have found 2 things over 50 years of carrying knives, nearly all carbon. You do have to oil the blades occasionally, especially if you are not going to use them for a prolonged period. But 2 things that are grossly overlooked by a lot of people, wipe the blade clean after use, and dry it with a rag or your jean leg or whatever. The 2 things that are the enemy of all things edged, Dirt and Moisture. I have seen knives from old bush men that have never been oiled, just kept clean and dry, with not a sign of rust. Hope you all have a good week.

I think this is sage advice. I’ve found I don’t really oil more that the joints and as long as I’m using them, the blades patina and never rust.

And when we are gone, they will be a mere curiosity.

Gosh, I hope not. I bought my son his first Victorinox Tinker when he was 6 months old just waiting with anticipation of showing him knife safety and whittling. When GEC produces a stainless knife with micarta scales I can actually get my hands on, my son Benjamin will get one of those too. (Once he proves to be responsible with a $25 dollar knife).

... But 2 things that are grossly overlooked by a lot of people, wipe the blade clean after use, and dry it with a rag or your jean leg or whatever...

Really? This boggles my mind. Why on earth would anyone put a knife that wasn't clean and dry into their pocket? Talk about asking for trouble.

Really? This boggles my mind. Why on earth would anyone put a knife that wasn't clean and dry into their pocket? Talk about asking for trouble.
I know a guy who hacks through plastic with a completely dull “Smith and Wesson tactical folder”. He’s never sharpened the cheap stainless blade since he bought it several years ago. Boggles my mind, too. Why have something you’re not going to maintain?

I know a guy who hacks through plastic with a completely dull “Smith and Wesson tactical folder”. He’s never sharpened the cheap stainless blade since he bought it several years ago. Boggles my mind, too. Why have something you’re not going to maintain?
Especially when it is so easy.

Thanks for the feedback guys !
My Ramsfoot 93 will be coming to Prince Edward Island :)
Life is about making memories ! ( I will probably be all OCD oiling it and cleaning it though LOL , but I can not help that :)
Good idea to also bring along a carbon opinel and use it with only basic wiping/cleaning between uses to compare.
EngrSorenson EngrSorenson I am a wood turner also :) I have a small jar of the mineral oil/beeswax mix ... I will experiment with it :thumbsup:
S SnailOffTheTrail I hope I don't end up with some unpleasant encounters LOL

l I am a wood turner also :) I have a small jar of the mineral oil/beeswax mix ... I will experiment with it :thumbsup:

My 93 has proven awesome at trimming my lack luster part off cuts on finished pieces. Which handle material did you choose?

I always thought that one was really cool. I wish they'd use that Micarta more often. (Have they used it on anything other than that one #15 Scout?)

I don't remember exactly the name on that one. I had one before but I think it was listed as Natural Linen? but it definitely seemed more like a butterscotch or goldenrod paper micarta to me. For Goldenrod, GEC has used it at least twice before
852212-be-goldenrod-micarta2no1.jpg

WkRrrTV.jpg

Back