Lets talk GEC!

So the #29s are obviously 3 springers now from the pictures- not a dealbreaker for me. I do hope they have a cutout on the pile side for the punch nail nick though. I love how buried the blades are in the wells- that punch I hope requires some handle relief to get at the nail nick.

Ok, that's pretty darn cool. The regret I had reserving this one just went away.
It is cool that they did that, but I don’t like how it looks, and my regret for not reserving one just went away, when it looked like they forgot the butter and it was going to be just black and white I was a little bummed. That really is neat though if it’s just clear down to the liners.

Last edited:
Quite possible. Or Rendezvous Knives.

They do seem to be coming along on the acrylic and osage 29s though.
Better yet Ryan. Throw a full length wharny in the 38 frame. Bill said the grinling spitback was too much work, so I propose a single spring with an offset ground (think of the main blade on the tk cuban pen from 2013) but in the wharny shape, then on the opposite end have a pen or the perfect little clip that they put on the 57 geppetto whittler. No split spring to make it compicated and one heck of an edc pattern.
Just sayin and just my opinion and we know what opinions are like.

I've always felt the 59 would make a great wharncliffe whittler
Better yet Ryan. Throw a full length wharny in the 38 frame. Bill said the grinling spitback was too much work, so I propose a single spring with an offset ground (think of the main blade on the tk cuban pen from 2013) but in the wharny shape, then on the opposite end have a pen or the perfect little clip that they put on the 57 geppetto whittler. No split spring to make it compicated and one heck of an edc pattern.

Josh, I myself am just a bit more fond of the sleeveboard than the 38 frame, but they're both top notch - with the right blade combo.

To be honest, you could probably throw a straight edge and curved edge combo on just about any pattern between 3.5" and 4", and you'd catch my interest.

Anybody knows what un-x-ld stands for ?

Your fellow pocket knife friends gave you the fast answer, but it might interest you to know Northfield was a cutlerer here in CT from 1858 to 1926, and Un-X-ld was a branding thing they were known for. GEC keeps the legendary name alive with some excellent effort on the Northfield trim.

Often the Northfield embellishments are too much for me with overly ornate bolsters- the pinched bolsters in the #12’s killed my desire for the beautiful Northfield options. In my opinion not every blade looks best with a long pull and cut swedge either... and then of course it’s even harder to sully the beautiful mirror finish on the blades. Consequently I own 5 Tidioute trim GECs and only the Cocobolo #93 Northfield.

Your fellow pocket knife friends gave you the fast answer, but it might interest you to know Northfield was a cutlerer here in CT from 1858 to 1926, and Un-X-ld was a branding thing they were known for. GEC keeps the legendary name alive with some excellent effort on the Northfield trim.

Often the Northfield embellishments are too much for me with overly ornate bolsters- the pinched bolsters in the #12’s killed my desire for the beautiful Northfield options. In my opinion not every blade looks best with a long pull and cut swedge either... and then of course it’s even harder to sully the beautiful mirror finish on the blades. Consequently I own 5 Tidioute trim GECs and only the Cocobolo #93 Northfield.

Thank you EngrSorenson for the more in depth background on the history of these knives ! :thumbsup:

Also, being new to GEC all I knew was that Northfield was their premium line, Tidiote being designed perhaps for more of a practical use with less "premium" features. However now I know the more subtle ( and not so subtle) differences between their brands,
TY

What you're describing is pretty much the Northwoods Willamette Whittler, which is probably my favorite knife. They're hard to come by, though. Would love to see something like that made again under the house brands.

Someone asked about this #77 Yankee Jack the other day, and I couldn’t find a better photo of it at the time, but I’ve since found this one, so I thought I’d just leave it here. :thumbsup:

DuBO1Vx.jpg

Back