1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Lets talk GEC!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by rockgolfer, Jun 23, 2013.

1. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Doh! Looks like they just added some photos :)

JohnDF, EngrSorenson and Sabercat like this.
  2. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    So the #29s are obviously 3 springers now from the pictures- not a dealbreaker for me. I do hope they have a cutout on the pile side for the punch nail nick though. I love how buried the blades are in the wells- that punch I hope requires some handle relief to get at the nail nick.

3. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Looks like the “butter” color on the acrylics is the brass liners showing the clear parts of the acrylic. Very clever.

L.H.S, JohnDF and waverave like this.
  4. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I was hoping those were going to look like the old Schrade butter and molasses covers.

Will Power likes this.
  5. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Ok, that's pretty darn cool. The regret I had reserving this one just went away.

JohnDF likes this.
  6. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    It is cool that they did that, but I don’t like how it looks, and my regret for not reserving one just went away, when it looked like they forgot the butter and it was going to be just black and white I was a little bummed. That really is neat though if it’s just clear down to the liners.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    EngrSorenson and Babalu32 like this.
  7. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Better yet Ryan. Throw a full length wharny in the 38 frame. Bill said the grinling spitback was too much work, so I propose a single spring with an offset ground (think of the main blade on the tk cuban pen from 2013) but in the wharny shape, then on the opposite end have a pen or the perfect little clip that they put on the 57 geppetto whittler. No split spring to make it compicated and one heck of an edc pattern.
    Just sayin and just my opinion and we know what opinions are like.

8. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Anybody knows what un-x-ld stands for ?

EngrSorenson likes this.
  9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Unexcelled: none better than.

jkwithawave, JohnDF and EngrSorenson like this.
  10. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Unexcelled

11. CelloDan

Dec 2, 2017
    I knew it would make perfect sense ! TY :)

EngrSorenson likes this.
  12. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Josh, I myself am just a bit more fond of the sleeveboard than the 38 frame, but they're both top notch - with the right blade combo.

To be honest, you could probably throw a straight edge and curved edge combo on just about any pattern between 3.5" and 4", and you'd catch my interest.

13. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Your fellow pocket knife friends gave you the fast answer, but it might interest you to know Northfield was a cutlerer here in CT from 1858 to 1926, and Un-X-ld was a branding thing they were known for. GEC keeps the legendary name alive with some excellent effort on the Northfield trim.

Often the Northfield embellishments are too much for me with overly ornate bolsters- the pinched bolsters in the #12’s killed my desire for the beautiful Northfield options. In my opinion not every blade looks best with a long pull and cut swedge either... and then of course it’s even harder to sully the beautiful mirror finish on the blades. Consequently I own 5 Tidioute trim GECs and only the Cocobolo #93 Northfield.

14. CelloDan

Dec 2, 2017
    Thank you EngrSorenson for the more in depth background on the history of these knives ! :thumbsup:

Also, being new to GEC all I knew was that Northfield was their premium line, Tidiote being designed perhaps for more of a practical use with less "premium" features. However now I know the more subtle ( and not so subtle) differences between their brands,
    TY

15. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Absolutely :cool:

But they took another path...;)

16. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    What you're describing is pretty much the Northwoods Willamette Whittler, which is probably my favorite knife. They're hard to come by, though. Would love to see something like that made again under the house brands.

Rockon75 and EngrSorenson like this.
  17. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    After looking up the Schrade butter and molasses covers I can see why this would be disappointing.

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  18. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    That ain't no lie. I just looked it up too.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  19. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Someone asked about this #77 Yankee Jack the other day, and I couldn’t find a better photo of it at the time, but I’ve since found this one, so I thought I’d just leave it here. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

20. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I think the 77 and 78 are GECs best all pattern. So much nicer than the scaled down version.

knifethetank and Buzzbait like this.